SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+6
Dr.RW
Xander
Garibaldi
MK
Mtank325
brother of destruction
10 posters

On Deck - Official MLB thread

Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

On Deck - Official MLB thread - Page 4 Empty Re: On Deck - Official MLB thread

Post  Mtank325 Sat May 09, 2009 10:06 am

The Phenom wrote:As far as A-Roid pitch tipping goes, I think the writer said he was doing in while on the Rangers. Wouldn't surprise me if he still was doing it though. A guy like him may want to win a ring, but in the end they're all concerned about money. And the ticket to money is big numbers.

The game has become tainted from about 1994 to the present, and unfortunately I don't see them ever getting out of it. Why can't baseball be like it was in from the early 1900's to the 70's? Things were good outside of a few incidents (Pete Rose, the Black Sox, etc...) Why can't we have players like Williams and Joe D? The current game is sad, and the only big name player from the home run boom to remain un-tainted is Ken Griffey Jr. If he ever comes up, it will be the death of baseball.

I was listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN in the morning and they brought up a valid point in if the fans actually care or if it's just the writers/media who make a big deal out of it. With attendance/television figures actually improving as well as popularity, except maybe this year due to the economy, it doesn't seem like an issue that phases fans that much. I think steroids taints the game and would have it as pure as possible, but I really don't think the average fan cares. And as they say, chicks dig the long ball.
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 480
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 am

I'm thinking of going to a couple of these matches when I am over the water in July.

The 2 spaces I have that match with game days are a match for the Yankees at home to some no-hopers and a home match for Toronto against Boston.

Is baseball quite a good sport to see live? Also, are the cheap seats going to be ok or am I best off spending extra money for "better" seats?
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Sat May 09, 2009 11:33 am

Hector_Nicols_Accordian wrote:I'm thinking of going to a couple of these matches when I am over the water in July.

The 2 spaces I have that match with game days are a match for the Yankees at home to some no-hopers and a home match for Toronto against Boston.

Is baseball quite a good sport to see live? Also, are the cheap seats going to be ok or am I best off spending extra money for "better" seats?

It is, but you definitely need someone to talk to during it. I don't drink, but apparently it makes the game a thousand times better. Cheap seats are usually good if you're not going to be paying attention to the game and more there for the atmosphere. Upper deck seats can be cool though.

Yankee tickets are very expensive due to their new luxury stadium but seeing them or Boston would be cool.
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Mtank325 wrote:
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian wrote:I'm thinking of going to a couple of these matches when I am over the water in July.

It is, but you definitely need someone to talk to during it. I don't drink, but apparently it makes the game a thousand times better. Cheap seats are usually good if you're not going to be paying attention to the game and more there for the atmosphere. Upper deck seats can be cool though.

Yankee tickets are very expensive due to their new luxury stadium but seeing them or Boston would be cool.

Agreed. If somebody from overseas came to see an NFL game, it would certainly be more exciting for a first-time viewer. Baseball can be a tedious game to watch at times, but I think it's the best sport in the world.

Can't wait to hear what you think, Hec.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  The Phenom Sat May 09, 2009 5:27 pm

I am a Boston homer, but Fenway is the best place to watch a baseball game hands down. Been to quite a few other parks in my travels across the country, but nothing tops Fenway. The city, the history, the fans, the whole atmosphere is unbeatable. You can get decent bleacher seats and have the true fans around you, which make it way more fun.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun May 10, 2009 9:42 am

I started this thread on MLB.com, but which player in the Majors would you most like to punch right in the face? Which one would you like to bean if you were on the mound and they stepped into the box?

My first choice is, hands down, A.J. Pierzynski. Guy is such a punk who tries to show people up when he gets the chance. Problem is, you can't show people up when you're a sub-par player. Douche bag.

My second choice is Ryan Braun. Hopefully you guys saw his antics last night. Gets a ball that grazes off his helmet early in the game. Later he hits a homerun and takes the slowest and most immature trip around the bases. Slapping his hands, staring down the pitcher. Then later he walked and threw his shin guard down on the ground to show up the pitcher again. That shit doesn't fly with me, especially since the Twins stress that playing the game the right way is their #1 priority.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Sun May 10, 2009 9:50 am

Jeter. just because he's Jeter.

I've had a trip planned for years with spaces planned for a few games but never had the money Flying to Boston via Toronto (half the cost), few days there including a fenway game, on to NY (loking at a Mets game on principle unless the Yankees opponents were somethinng special), down to Red Bank on a day trip/pilgrimage, bank to NY for more chance for a decent game/show, then up to Niagara by the lake (I think that was the name droyd gave me) for a day or two before Toronto, catch a game and home.

Like I said. Money's a pretty big factor...
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sun May 10, 2009 12:54 pm

MK wrote:I started this thread on MLB.com, but which player in the Majors would you most like to punch right in the face? Which one would you like to bean if you were on the mound and they stepped into the box?

My first choice is, hands down, A.J. Pierzynski. Guy is such a punk who tries to show people up when he gets the chance. Problem is, you can't show people up when you're a sub-par player. Douche bag.

My second choice is Ryan Braun. Hopefully you guys saw his antics last night. Gets a ball that grazes off his helmet early in the game. Later he hits a homerun and takes the slowest and most immature trip around the bases. Slapping his hands, staring down the pitcher. Then later he walked and threw his shin guard down on the ground to show up the pitcher again. That shit doesn't fly with me, especially since the Twins stress that playing the game the right way is their #1 priority.

Jorge Posada. I have the image of game 7, 2003 ALCS, of him hitting that double off of Pedro to tie the game, and then standing up at second base flexing his arms permanently seared into my brain.
    ThatChumpStain
    ThatChumpStain

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post  ThatChumpStain Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Johnny Damon.
    Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Ryan Braun is up there as well. If anyone paid attention to a 4 game series with the Cards last year, after the Brewers recorded the final out, Braun untucked his jersey, in another way to show up the other team. I didn't like it too much. Guy is a heck of a hitter, though.

Alfonso Soriano; guy would swing at a ball during an intentional walk, and I hate his hops in the outfield when he's about to make a catch, I can't wait until he drops one, so the entire world can call him an idiot. Not only that, he's a Chicago Cub :-P
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Next year can we get rid of CGs as a stat? They're so rare and random and I'd rather have a stat with more consistency and that doesn't give everyone ties all the time.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Mtank325 wrote:Next year can we get rid of CGs as a stat? They're so rare and random and I'd rather have a stat with more consistency and that doesn't give everyone ties all the time.

No, we can just re-name it the "RH." Stands for Roy Halladay.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 am

I think MK got a steal in that trade. With the depth of OF I'd much rather have Utley and Ramirez. Not to even mention Youkilis who was stellar before going on the DL.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Fri May 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Glad to see the Cards are starting to get back to form, and getting healthy. I know Pineiro won't be as good as he is all year, but if he can get to 15 wins, that's a big help especially from a pitcher who's just about as average as you can get nowadays. But with Chris Carpenter healthy, you have Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse? That's a pretty awesome first 3 in your rotation. Derrek Lee said Carp was the filthiest pitcher he's seen all year when he faced him the other night! Now if only he can stay healthy.

Now once we got Ludwick and Ankiel back, and then maybe more down the line with Glaus? Whew, Milwaukee better look out!
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sun May 24, 2009 10:59 am

Mtank325 wrote:I think MK got a steal in that trade. With the depth of OF I'd much rather have Utley and Ramirez. Not to even mention Youkilis who was stellar before going on the DL.

So you think I got the steal? Considering I got those 3 players from MK.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Sun May 24, 2009 12:14 pm

Whoever got Utley and Hanley Ramirez IMO won that trade.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Yeah I got them. We'll see at season's end.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Mtank325 wrote:I think MK got a steal in that trade. With the depth of OF I'd much rather have Utley and Ramirez. Not to even mention Youkilis who was stellar before going on the DL.

Anyone willing to give up Hanley AND Youkilis - DL or not - deserves to lose . Don't care who you get. Of the guys who've come through in the last 5 years or so, thease are two of the best. Youk, even with the DL time, has serious MVP potential this year, and Hanley is so useful across the board that whatever aspect of his game might suffer, he has so many skills that he is worth keeping for the others.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 pm

I didn't need Hanley anymore. I'm not losing any SB's by letting him go, since I have Crawford who is on pace to steal somewhere around 3,000 bases. I'll be replacing Utley's HR production with Hamilton, and I also get Soriano's power. Not to mention I get Bartlett and Hill who are both in the top 15 players this season.

And on top of that, it's fantasy baseball. If the trade ends up hurting me in the end, I'm not gonna be too upset about it.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Just like the Phillies, I'm doing surprisingly well in fantasy after a slump. Can't see myself keeping it up much longer though.
    Xander
    Xander

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Xander Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 pm

me too im actually leading Shocked

just like a month ago i was in 6th or 7th, usually i bomb in baseball. i`ll blow it in the playoffs
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Pick Buehrle, drop him, Van picks him up, Van drops him, I pick him up and he pitches a perfect game Very Happy
    Xander
    Xander

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Xander Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:46 pm

had to drop someone to get a guy of the DL, only stat he really had going was wins, other guys were all better for ER and strike outs.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:50 pm

HOW BOUT THOSE TWINS????

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:16 am

MK wrote:HOW BOUT THOSE TWINS????

I am so pissed that I'm not going to be able to see that last game to decide the AL Central! I mean, football all day, but the only real baseball race is still going on. The Twins will just not quit. I can root for either the Tigers or Twins, though, which is why I really wanna see that game.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:22 am

I just want whoever will beat the Spankees...

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the return to form of Dice-K since his return, leaving us Beckett, Dice-K, Lester and Wakefield as a no-brainer postseason rotation, with Bird, Clay and the pseudo-starters dropped into the rotation at best with Pap, Okajima, Wagner and Delcarmen.

Over a post-season series, I hate to say it, but I think it is going to take a MAJOR consistent pitching performance to stop the pinstriped bastards this time - they just seem to be to strong generally on the batting front at the moment to simply outslug them.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:33 am

Ram Jam wrote:
    MK wrote:HOW BOUT THOSE TWINS????

I am so pissed that I'm not going to be able to see that last game to decide the AL Central! I mean, football all day, but the only real baseball race is still going on. The Twins will just not quit. I can root for either the Tigers or Twins, though, which is why I really wanna see that game.

My best friend was at the game yesterday and will be going again today. I'm extremely jealous that he gets to be at the last two games ever at the Dome, and games that have such high drama. I think both teams win today and we go to a tie-breaker on Tuesday. I know that we have all the momentum in the world and Detroit is looking desperate, but they have Verlander on the mound. He pitched a huge game against us a few weeks ago where it looked like we were about to sweep them, and I think he's going to play the role of "the stopper" again.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Yeah, unless the Twins have an epic collapse (currently up 6) we'll have a playoff game Tuesday.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:22 am

Instant classic. Without a doubt, that game goes right next to the 91 World Series Game 7 as one of the greatest in Twins history. I know that everyone is picking the Yankees to win the WS this year, but you should never count out momentum. If we can just split the two games in New York, we have a pretty good shot at winning the series.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 pm

MK wrote:Instant classic. Without a doubt, that game goes right next to the 91 World Series Game 7 as one of the greatest in Twins history. I know that everyone is picking the Yankees to win the WS this year, but you should never count out momentum. If we can just split the two games in New York, we have a pretty good shot at winning the series.

I had to work, but I've only heard amazing things about that game. I personally am rooting for the Twins on the AL side, just because I love how their team plays and I love how they always find some way to win. They've lost Santana, Torii Hunter, David Ortiz, amongst others over the years. Yet, Gardenhire finds a way to win with his club. He's done a brilliant job.

I'm of course rooting for the Cards, as I'm from St. Louis! They have a great chance against the Dodgers, and they've had their number all year. But their hitting needs to come through for us to have a chance, as we can't just rely on Carpenter and Wainwright to carry the load. Pujols, Holliday, Ludwick - they all need to step it up.

The Phillies scare the bejesus out of me in the National League. Cliff Lee is a machine, and if Hamels is like he was last post-season, they'll be tough to beat with them and their hitting as well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am