SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+6
Dr.RW
Xander
Garibaldi
MK
Mtank325
brother of destruction
10 posters

On Deck - Official MLB thread

MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

On Deck - Official MLB thread - Page 3 Empty Re: On Deck - Official MLB thread

Post  MK Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Garibaldi wrote:All ready for tomorrow?

As far as I know. I've PM'd Phenom a few times, hopefully he can get his bro to sign up before tomorrow, otherwise we'll have 7 guys and somebody will have a bye week every week.

Draft is set for 10 AM CST. Everybody better be there.
    Xander
    Xander

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Xander Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:42 pm

if his bro doesnt sign up just set the maximum number of teams to 8 and publish the league. some nobody will join last second.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:15 am

I went to give the details to a guy from work yesterday, but then it turns outr he'd booked the day off...
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 am

Shit.

I forgot to add DL positions for Fantasy. And you can only adjust player positions before the draft.

Sorry guys Embarassed
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 am

Scratch that. Just saw that DL positions are in fact on there, but they just don't show up on your actual team screen yet.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  The Phenom Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 am

Sorry about almost fucking the league there. I went to Munich on Friday and didn't get back until today, complete forgot about it.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 pm

The Phenom wrote:Sorry about almost fucking the league there. I went to Munich on Friday and didn't get back until today, complete forgot about it.

If it makes you feel any better, you got one of the best teams in the league, in my opinion.

Bastard.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post  Mtank325 Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm

It was most likely our highest member turnout for a draft. Only you and Inno didn't make it. Comparatively to the NFL draft where it was Van and me.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Mtank325 wrote:It was most likely our highest member turnout for a draft. Only you and Inno didn't make it. Comparatively to the NFL draft where it was Van and me.

I was rather surprised to see how many showed up.

Goes to show what campaigning can do!
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am

Sox vs. Rays and White Sox vs. KC rained out today. Hopefully they'll get them in tomorrow.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:30 am

So who is the manager for "feartheabyss" and "Manchester Astros" in the fantasy league? I know who everyone else is.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm

The Phenom wrote:So who is the manager for "feartheabyss" and "Manchester Astros" in the fantasy league? I know who everyone else is.

I think feartheabyss is Thistledroyd. Not sure who Manchester Astros is...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4060421

Incredibly tragic. One of the saddest sports stories in a long time. I actually just picked him up in the fantasy league. I'm gonna keep him for the entire season. Don't even care if it fucks over my team.

RIP Nick.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:38 am

Yeah, that is really bad. Sad at the best of times, but he was young and just breaking through as well.

And no, Thistledroyd has been in the league with us a few times now - usually as either Fallowfield Astros or Surfing Centurions. He's an old mate from Uni who I keep trying toget on the boards, and captains a team in Manchester's Softball league. JHe's actually the guy who got me back into wrestling and into Baseball to start with.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:26 pm

To add to the sad news, long time Phillies announcer (and NFL Films voiceover) Harry Kalas died today from a heart attack at the age of 73. Players always come and go but Harry Kalas IS the Phillies. It's going to be very different to watch/listen to the Phillies going forward as he's always been the play-by-play guy throughout my life. Although, I'm really happy he got to witness a second Phillies' World Series' championship before he passed on.
    Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Also, Mark Fydrich passed away. I didn't know he only pitched for a few years, but he was good in those years, it looked like. Watching some old clips of him, he must've been entertaining to watch, as most broadcasters have been saying. Sad day for MLB, for sure.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 am

Ram Jam wrote:Also, Mark Fydrich passed away. I didn't know he only pitched for a few years, but he was good in those years, it looked like. Watching some old clips of him, he must've been entertaining to watch, as most broadcasters have been saying. Sad day for MLB, for sure.

Yep. "The Bird." Certainly one of the most entertaining players in the last 30 or 40 years.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:51 am

So as the third week of MLB concludes this weekend, what are your thoughts on the 2009 season at this point?

I'm surprised that Toronto is leading the AL East, but I'm glad, as I've enjoyed watching their teams the past couple years. Only reason I'm shocked is that the Yankees have that huge payroll, and right now, they don't look like a team that will contend. The Red Sox are hot on their trails, though. I hope Toronto ends up staying close to the top for the season.

Some pleasant surprises in the NL would be teams like the Cards (I'm a Cards fan, yay!), Marlins, Pittsburgh, Cincinati, and San Diego. All those teams besides the Cards and Marlins were really good last year, so it may not be too surprising that they're both good again this year, but to get off to such hot starts might be a little surprising. If Carpenter can be healthy for the Cardinals after his recent rib/oblique injury, the Cards become one of the more feared teams in the NL, along with the Cubs, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, and Dodgers. Speaking of the Mets and Phillies, when are they going to get their heads out of their butts and start playing? (no offense MTank)

This weekend should be great with the Cards vs. Cubs pt. 2, and the first meeting of the Red Sox and Yankees.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Ram Jam wrote:Speaking of the Mets and Phillies, when are they going to get their heads out of their butts and start playing? (no offense MTank)

None taken. Our starting pitching totally sucks. We've got no desire for a championship anymore after winning it. Plus that shot Hamels took in the arm from the line drive was a big scare.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Ram Jam wrote:So as the third week of MLB concludes this weekend, what are your thoughts on the 2009 season at this point?

I'm surprised that Toronto is leading the AL East, but I'm glad, as I've enjoyed watching their teams the past couple years. Only reason I'm shocked is that the Yankees have that huge payroll, and right now, they don't look like a team that will contend. The Red Sox are hot on their trails, though. I hope Toronto ends up staying close to the top for the season.

Some pleasant surprises in the NL would be teams like the Cards (I'm a Cards fan, yay!), Marlins, Pittsburgh, Cincinati, and San Diego. All those teams besides the Cards and Marlins were really good last year, so it may not be too surprising that they're both good again this year, but to get off to such hot starts might be a little surprising. If Carpenter can be healthy for the Cardinals after his recent rib/oblique injury, the Cards become one of the more feared teams in the NL, along with the Cubs, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, and Dodgers. Speaking of the Mets and Phillies, when are they going to get their heads out of their butts and start playing? (no offense MTank)

This weekend should be great with the Cards vs. Cubs pt. 2, and the first meeting of the Red Sox and Yankees.

Ummm....not sure which standings you were looking at last year.

Pittsburgh- 67-95
    Cincinnati- 74-88
    San Diego- 63-99

The Cards and Marlins were actually the only good teams last year out of that list you gave...
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm

MK wrote:
    Ram Jam wrote:So as the third week of MLB concludes this weekend, what are your thoughts on the 2009 season at this point?

Pittsburgh- 67-95
    Cincinnati- 74-88
    San Diego- 63-99

The Cards and Marlins were actually the only good teams last year out of that list you gave...

I think that's what he meant, just phrased it wrong. Anyway, Phils sweep the Marlins, woo. Repeat this year! Unless our starting pitching screws us over...
    Dr.RW

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-04-27

Post  Dr.RW Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Damn a few weeks late to defend my title! Well - champion until October Very Happy
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Dr.RW wrote:Damn a few weeks late to defend my title! Well - champion until October Very Happy

Bwahahaha, and guess who's in first.

Inno.

But who's convincingly in 4th place? That's right.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Mtank325 wrote:
    MK wrote:

Pittsburgh- 67-95
    Cincinnati- 74-88
    San Diego- 63-99

I think that's what he meant, just phrased it wrong. Anyway, Phils sweep the Marlins, woo. Repeat this year! Unless our starting pitching screws us over...

Yeah, that's what I meant, actually. My bad.

And the Cards continue to dominate, taking 2 out of 3 against the Cubs, and getting another great start from Joel Pineiro tonight! Cubs better hurry their asses up, Cards are gonna pull away!
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm going to attribute the Twins' slow start to the lack of Joe Mauer. Not only will our offense get a boost when he gets back here this week, but our starting pitching will finally find their groove. I think without a consistent catcher every day this year so far, they've struggled to find consistency. Once Mauer is back, we should start to see things improve.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:22 pm

If anyone needs a pitcher, I've got Roy Oswalt, Brandon Webb (DL) and reliever Troy Percieval I'd be willing to trade. I know they're not off to hot starts, but they've got a lot of upside. Chad Billingsley and Armando Galarraga I'd need a bit more for and Hamels is off-limits. I need a middle infielder (SS or 2B) and I'd be willing to do a pitcher+2B/SS for a decent player as long as it's fair value and an upgrade.
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Whoa, Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games for violation of the MLB's drug policy. He says he didn't take a steroid, but it's another one of those cases that he didn't know what he was taking, or didn't know it was illegal. Big blow for Dodger Nation, since he came there last year, he's been huge for them and huge for that organization. I think you'll see a gap start to close slightly in the NL West now, big blow for the Dodgers and Man Ram.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Now we know what "Manny being Manny" really means!

I'm kind of interested about this "pitch-tipping" accuswation against A-Rod. Some writer has claimed that in end of seaqson dead rubber matches he and some opposing frends took to doing this to boost each others stats when the result was unimportant. Bad news if true - destroys the integrity of the game. May hate the Spankees and everything their attitude represents, but this is above that.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 pm

And guess who has Manny on their team?

Sad
    Ram Jam

Post  Ram Jam Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 am

Mtank325 wrote:And guess who has Manny on their team?

Sad

Even if he got a late start in spring, you'd be a fool not to try to go for him at the beginning of the season. The man is a hitting machine.

If I'm thinking future for Man Ram (besides HOF chances, different discussion), I'm going to envy any team that plays against him from July 4th and on. He is going to be focused and motivated, and might go on a tear after he shakes off a bit of the rust.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 am

As far as A-Roid pitch tipping goes, I think the writer said he was doing in while on the Rangers. Wouldn't surprise me if he still was doing it though. A guy like him may want to win a ring, but in the end they're all concerned about money. And the ticket to money is big numbers.

The game has become tainted from about 1994 to the present, and unfortunately I don't see them ever getting out of it. Why can't baseball be like it was in from the early 1900's to the 70's? Things were good outside of a few incidents (Pete Rose, the Black Sox, etc...) Why can't we have players like Williams and Joe D? The current game is sad, and the only big name player from the home run boom to remain un-tainted is Ken Griffey Jr. If he ever comes up, it will be the death of baseball.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:17 pm