SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+6
Dr.RW
Xander
Garibaldi
MK
Mtank325
brother of destruction
10 posters

On Deck - Official MLB thread

Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

On Deck - Official MLB thread - Page 2 Empty Re: On Deck - Official MLB thread

Post  Mtank325 Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 am

Like the Michael Phelps' deal, I just can't see this being a big deal in the long run for him unless he vehemently denies it like Clemons and Bonds. Of course this certainly doesn't help his reputation, but if he admits to it, apologizes, and moves on I can see this being similar to Andy Pettitte's situation, even though A-Rod is the most scrutinized player in all of baseball. I think the MLB really wants not only a Hispanic player to break it but to get away from Bonds whose situation is a helluva lot worse.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  The Phenom Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:42 am

I think this is far different than Phelps. A Rod is doing drugs to help his performance, and they are drugs that have never been legal in the game and have tainted the 90's and 2000's. This is a huge deal whether he denies it or comes clean. As we've seen with countless players (Clemens, Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, Canseco, etc...) it hurts their Hall of Fame chances, tarnishes their career and legacy, and essentially drives them from the game. And it doesn't matter if he is one of 109 in the year before they started testing for punishment. He is arguably the most prolific home run hitter of the past decade (being so young and all) and all 109 should be outed from the game.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 am

I meant with the Phelps situation is that like A-Rod it's not going to keep him out of baseball or have any major ramifications unless he pursues it like Bonds or Clemons. And unless they keep Maguire out of the HoF or not strike out his or Bonds records, or any steroid-user's records, I can't see it hurting A-Rod as well.

I think it's deplorable that baseball has allowed this for so long, but they really don't have a good system of punishing it. The NFL's is okay, 4 games is a lot in the course of the season, but they don't seem to have such a negative images as baseball does.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 am

Well A Rod has come out an admitted to steroid use from 2001-2003, the entire time he was in Texas. This is a serious blow to his career and legacy in my opinion. While I do applaud him for being honest, those seasons were 3 of his top 5 performance wise, I don't think he'll escape this when it comes time for the hall of fame.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 pm

If all these steroid users get into the HoF, Pete Rose should get in.

With the baseball season approaching, should we setup the fantasy league? I kind of took a liking to ESPN's auction league if anyone wanted to try something new. Auction leagues are where you get a set number of money and bid on players, so everyone gets a fair shot at every player. I like it, but it's about 2-hours, so time is a big issue. Otherwise I'm up for a standard draft league again this year.
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 am

Change makes me nautious. Let's stick with good ol' Yahoo.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey guys. I just set up the usual league on Yahoo right now.

League ID: 106162
    Password: smash

I set up a time for the draft. Let me know if that doesn't work and we can figure out a time when as many of us can be there.

Also, I changed some of the scoring rules. If you guys have a problem with it, let me know. I added "losses" for pitchers, because I think it requires a little more skill than just starting every pitcher every time they start. This way, you have to really think about who they're pitching against. I also added "earned runs", because that's another thing I think requires skill. Don't start Johnny McTater against the Yankees, as he'll probably get creamed.

Let me know if there are any problems.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 am

Are we not doing a fantasy league this year, then?
    Xander
    Xander

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Xander Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:01 am

i signed up
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Xander wrote:i signed up

That's nice.

Where are all the usuals? Phenom? Tank? ER? Doug? Inno? Rooq? Etc.?
    Xander
    Xander

Post  Xander Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

baseballs always been kinda meh. football was always the main north american sport on here as far as fantasy leagues go.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Xander wrote:baseballs always been kinda meh. football was always the main north american sport on here as far as fantasy leagues go.

How long have you even been on these forums? I've been doing fantasy baseball with guys from here for probably 6 or 7 years...
    Xander
    Xander

Post  Xander Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm

im the man of many names

johnny knoxville
    raven
    van wilder
    vanlito canadian cool

maybe even 1 or 2 others i cant remember
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 pm

MK wrote:

That's nice.

That's nice, I don't even warrant a mention...

I'm in - I'll have to check my rota regarding the time though as that's my first week back - not sure if I'm working that day.

I'm ringing Thistledroyd as well at the mo, so he may be in. Why not PM the others?
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Garibaldi wrote:
    MK wrote:

That's nice.

That's nice, I don't even warrant a mention...

I'm in - I'll have to check my rota regarding the time though as that's my first week back - not sure if I'm working that day.

I'm ringing Thistledroyd as well at the mo, so he may be in. Why not PM the others?

Yea, I PM'd Tank, so hopefully he'll be in. I'll work on PM'ing the other guys. And sorry I left you out Razz

Xander wrote:im the man of many names

johnny knoxville
    raven
    van wilder
    vanlito canadian cool

maybe even 1 or 2 others i cant remember

Well damn. Now i feel like a fool. I had no idea it was you. I take it back, you're not a tool.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Apologizes all around for the lateness. I got a new writing gig so I've been somewhat busy lately. I've joined up.

ER and Sucka don't post that much so you may need to e-mail them. Same with Woyah. Phenom is traveling a fair bit so he may not have access but if we can get him we might get him and his brother. Doug, Inno and Rooq should probably be interested.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Mtank325 wrote:Apologizes all around for the lateness. I got a new writing gig so I've been somewhat busy lately. I've joined up.

ER and Sucka don't post that much so you may need to e-mail them. Same with Woyah. Phenom is traveling a fair bit so he may not have access but if we can get him we might get him and his brother. Doug, Inno and Rooq should probably be interested.

Do you have either of their emails? (ER or Sucka?)

I PM'd ER, Doug, Inno, Phenom, and Rooq. Forgot about Woyah. I'll get on that.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:51 am

Mtank325 wrote:Apologizes all around for the lateness. I got a new writing gig so I've been somewhat busy lately. I've joined up.

Sucka doesn't post at all. Not unless he's Stig or one of the knights. He's never joined. That's why the boys have takemn on the predictomania reins.

And Thistledroyd joined yesterday. Time seems OK for both of us
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 am

Garibaldi wrote:

Sucka doesn't post at all. Not unless he's Stig or one of the knights. He's never joined. That's why the boys have takemn on the predictomania reins.

And Thistledroyd joined yesterday. Time seems OK for both of us

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Sucka, then?
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 pm

Here's ER's e-mail: edgerulez@gmail.com

I guess I was totally wrong about Sucka, he wasn't in the football league this year. This is his old e-mail: dclark183@yahoo.com.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:49 pm

I emailed the both of them. Hopefully they can get in on it this year.

Also, I know Gari said that he and Thistle are both ok with the time set up for the draft. Hopefully that works for other people as well.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Post  Mtank325 Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:42 pm

I was hoping Manny wouldn't sign until after our draft so I could steal him but guess that won't happen now.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am

I'm finally in. Just got my house in Germany all hooked up with Internet and TV, so I am fully prepared to dominate. I may however be a little out of the loop come september (may have to go to Bulgaria/Romania)
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Mtank325 wrote:I was hoping Manny wouldn't sign until after our draft so I could steal him but guess that won't happen now.

Me too. There goes the idea that he might still be around after the first few rounds.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

A-Rod's stock has definitely dropped, at least in my rankings. After the steroids scandal I had him drop to around 7th or 8th. Now I have him around 15th with the possibility of surgery.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Also: now that Phenom is in, we need either one more guy (8 total) or three (10 total). I emailed ER and Sucka about a week ago and neither has gotten back to me. So I don't know if any of you guys want to try and get a hold of either of them, but we need at least one more person.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Post  The Phenom Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:52 am

If it gets close to the draft I'll get my bro to play.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:30 am

The Phenom wrote:If it gets close to the draft I'll get my bro to play.

Sweet. Draft is next Saturday at 10:00 CST.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Everyone that posts in this thread should subsequently sign up to play Smash Pick Em' in the thread I created.

There, that's settled.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:02 pm

All ready for tomorrow?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 am