SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+23
Garibaldi
showstealer
brother of destruction
KabukiJoe
Hector_Nicols_Accordian
Rooq
PeteRoe
IOV
Sweatsock
ThatChumpStain
genehunt
Clarkey
The Ayatollah
MarkFromGoldenplec
Mezzy
Dr Hellwig PhD
fernzy
zhukov
The Chosen1
Ultimo LJ
RKO
Tomc2488
next_big_thing
27 posters

Official Premiership Thread

Official Premiership Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Official Premiership Thread

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:30 am

It's not but I posted it after I saw the Villa result. The post was going to be out of place one way or another so I opted for the Premiership thread.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    JK wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:
    JK wrote:One half of North London is crying, the other half has just breathed a sigh of relief.
    huh?

Spurs lost the Carling Cup so they're crying, Arsenal are glad that they won't have to hear Spurs fans crow about a meaningless trophy for another year AND Aston Villa screwed up against Stoke... hence sigh of relief.
    O.K. I didn't realise this was the Carling Cup thread and got confused.

And we'll still go on about the fact that we won a "meaningless trophy" whilst you haven't even won that! tongue

And you have always harked on about the UEFA cup being meaningless before - does that mean you won't try to win the Europa League either next year?

btw, assuming we go for the intertoto, we can still make 7th quite comfortably if we string a few results together...which is the first spot outside league qualification...so we can still make it, goddamn it!!!<optimism - always good!>
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 am

Garibaldi wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:
    JK wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:
    JK wrote:One half of North London is crying, the other half has just breathed a sigh of relief.
    huh?

Spurs lost the Carling Cup so they're crying, Arsenal are glad that they won't have to hear Spurs fans crow about a meaningless trophy for another year AND Aston Villa screwed up against Stoke... hence sigh of relief.
    O.K. I didn't realise this was the Carling Cup thread and got confused.

And we'll still go on about the fact that we won a "meaningless trophy" whilst you haven't even won that! tongue

And you have always harked on about the UEFA cup being meaningless before - does that mean you won't try to win the Europa League either next year?

btw, assuming we go for the intertoto, we can still make 7th quite comfortably if we string a few results together...which is the first spot outside league qualification...so we can still make it, goddamn it!!!<optimism - always good!>

I've never called it worthless, I don't consider any trophy worthless, apart from the full-members cup, the Bromley Floodlight cup (which Bromley only ever won once!!) and various other cups that have since disappeared. Although I do say bring back the Anglo-Itlaian cup and the Cup Winners Cup!!

Not sure how we can try to win it, perhaps you meant the St. Johnstones Paint Trophy? I hope we give it a good crack!!

I don't think you have a chance of getting 7th! Laughing

Wink

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:42 am

Here we go again: "If Spurs only win the Carling Cup and fuck up everything else, it rescues a failed season (see last year). If Arsenal win the Carling Cup and fuck up everything else... its STILL a failed season. I would rather qualify for the Champions League than win ten Carling Cups."

I don't remember ever saying the UEFA Cup was meaningless, in fact I quite enjoy watching it. Shocked I'd certainly rank it above the Chamber Pot. I'd just rather we weren't playing in it next year as it would mean missing the CL!

And I think you'll find the Intertoto Cup was scrapped last year... the procedure now is that you suck up to Platini and hope he gives you a place in the qualifying rounds.

----

Edit: Incidentally would my plan to limit the Carling Cup to the 2nd tier downwards really be so bad? It would mean that a team outside the Premiership would play European football every year and give it back some meaning.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

Nice idea in theory but English football would quickly become a laughing stock when the winners of the cup would be hammered and sent home early
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 am

UEFA wouldn't allow a European place to be alloted to the winners of a trophy that doesn't involve teams rom the top tier.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:09 am

There are teams in the almighty premiership who do take the Carling cup seriously...
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Rooney was meant to have been great tonight and thank god for Steven Taylor Very Happy

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Yay for Man City! Very Happy

Now if we win our next game and Villa lose we'll be back up to 4th. Who do Villa have next?

Oh... crap...
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm

IOV wrote:Rooney was meant to have been great tonight and thank god for Steven Taylor Very Happy

After watching MOTD United were really lucky to come away with the win. Martins looked very good, maybe if Newcastle played like that every week and not just when the big names come around they wouldnt be sitting where they are now.

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

What's this about Vidic should have been sent off?

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:34 am

Good to see the Daily Mirror have left their sensationalist headlines behind them. Fabregas says that if Wenger were to leave he would consider his future at the club.

Headline: "CESC IN QUIT THREAT"

Wouldn't wipe my arse with that paper! Too full of shit Laughing

A handful of idiots boo the team off at the Emirates and suddenly Wenger's going to be sacked?
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 am

JK wrote:What's this about Vidic should have been sent off?

He probably should have been, he wrot Martins off as he was breaking into the box but then again United could claim Taylor should have ben sent off as well for his stupid niggle at Ronaldo
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 pm

The Taylor/Ronaldo thing was not as clear-cut as some would say. If you watch carefully, just before taylor's arm goes up, Ron suddenly checks his run and leans into Taylor to obstruct him.

Doesn't excuse his overreaction with the pull, but Ronaldo was looking for something from the way he went down and made even Scott Parker look restrained.

Plus the tackle that followed once he wasn't obstructed warranted a red on it's own.

But Yeah, Vidic should have gone. couldn't even claim to have been late on the tackle - the ball had gone before he even lunged in.
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Garibaldi wrote:The Taylor/Ronaldo thing was not as clear-cut as some would say. If you watch carefully, just before taylor's arm goes up, Ron suddenly checks his run and leans into Taylor to obstruct him.

Doesn't excuse his overreaction with the pull, but Ronaldo was looking for something from the way he went down and made even Scott Parker look restrained.

Plus the tackle that followed once he wasn't obstructed warranted a red on it's own.

But Yeah, Vidic should have gone. couldn't even claim to have been late on the tackle - the ball had gone before he even lunged in.

I noticed that tackle as well but really once Ronaldo had went down he was getting the headlines. It wasnt a pull tough it was an attempted pull that ended up clocking him in the face. I thought Martins was lucky as well with the elbow to Vidic you could see the bruising and blood in the replay straight away!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:10 am

JK wrote:Here we go again: "If Spurs only win the Carling Cup and fuck up everything else, it rescues a failed season (see last year). If Arsenal win the Carling Cup and fuck up everything else... its STILL a failed season. I would rather qualify for the Champions League than win ten Carling Cups."
    I take it the speech marks suggest you are being sarcastic? Shocked

Post  Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 am

Nope. Shite pointless trophy that should've been scrapped when the FA Cup winners started qualifying for the UEFA Cup instead of the CWC. Once our youth/fringe team goes out I lose interest. Was only interested this year as I bet Spurs would lose with a friend and wanted to see my money come in. Last year I forgot the final was even on.

Only way to make it worth anything in my eyes would be to either limit it to the lower leagues or give the FA Cup winners a Champions League spot instead of the 4th placers.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:37 am

JK wrote:Nope. Shite pointless trophy that should've been scrapped when the FA Cup winners started qualifying for the UEFA Cup instead of the CWC. Once our youth/fringe team goes out I lose interest. Was only interested this year as I bet Spurs would lose with a friend and wanted to see my money come in. Last year I forgot the final was even on.

Only way to make it worth anything in my eyes would be to either limit it to the lower leagues or give the FA Cup winners a Champions League spot instead of the 4th placers.
    Wow, where do I start.

To make the League cup more interesting they should limit the Champions League to just the teams the finishes first...

I think most fans lose interest once their team gets knocked out.

So, ten days out at Wembley, with your team winning each time doesn't mean as much to you as the champions league money. That's definitely what's wrong with football, at least Liverpool fans admit the league is more prestigious.

Post  Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    JK wrote:Nope. Shite pointless trophy that should've been scrapped when the FA Cup winners started qualifying for the UEFA Cup instead of the CWC. Once our youth/fringe team goes out I lose interest. Was only interested this year as I bet Spurs would lose with a friend and wanted to see my money come in. Last year I forgot the final was even on.

Wow, where do I start.

To make the League cup more interesting they should limit the Champions League to just the teams the finishes first...

I think most fans lose interest once their team gets knocked out.

So, ten days out at Wembley, with your team winning each time doesn't mean as much to you as the champions league money. That's definitely what's wrong with football, at least Liverpool fans admit the league is more prestigious.

I too would be in favour of the CL being limited to first place as well as that would raise the profile of the Europa league and consequently the League Cup. Good idea sir!

After that you're putting words in my mouth. Yes I dislike the Carling Cup no matter how many of them there are because it's a meaningless trophy imo, but the other cups I like very much. You've said it yourself, it's more about the occasion of being at Wembley than the trophy itself. Can you say the same about the FA Cup? No. So what's the point on having the trophy? And my wish to play in the CL is less about money and more about wanting to see Arsenal go up against the likes of Barca and Real Madrid for entertainment purposes.

If Arsenal were (and I know this is impossible) entered into all eligible tournaments they could be entered for my rankings in terms of achievements would be thus (starting with the most prestigious and leveling where I couldn't decide):

1. Premier League
    2. Champions League
    2. FA Cup
    3. Europa League
    4: Champions League qualification
    4. World Club Championship
    4. UEFA Super Cup
    5. Chamber Pot
    6. Europa League qualification

So there you go, 6 trophies and one achievement I would rather win than the Chamber pot.

So if Arsenal missed out on Champions League qualification but won the FA Cup I would be disappointed but could live with it, and winning the Premier League would be my favorite. IMO, with the players we have at our disposal and the resources backing us, winning the Chamber Pot and nothing else would be inexcusable. The only thing worse would be qualifying for the Europa League and otherwise being empty handed.

I missed off the Community Shield as that's a glorified friendly for charity (though it is tremendous fun) rather than a competitive tournament and the numerous friendly tournaments that go on in the summer.

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:21 am

And that would be the 1,245th time that Robbie Keane has saved Spurs Razz
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 pm

And we love him as much as ever. purple shades

And what can I say about "The only thing worse would be qualifying for the Europa League and otherwise being empty handed."..oh yeah...

Like you will this year, then? What a Face

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm

And yet in our worst season for many many many many many many many many years... we're still better than you. Razz

In fact even in your best season for years you managed to set a new standard of awfulness by having the shortest season of any top flight team in history.

Post  Guest Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Official Premiership Thread - Page 19 Article-1141982-0377DE80000005DC-962_468x596

Bwahahahahaha!
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 am

What a hideous display

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am

Perhaps we could get Sweatsock in on this one and I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that a tackle designed to take out the goalkeeper was an automatic red card, not a yellow? That looked a little more than late to me, especially as he took out Almunia's ankle!

I see that Alardarse still plays the same old kick the opposition rather than the ball tactics that have served him so well. Hopefully we can hold on but no doubt they will sneak an undeserved free kick goal and then spend the rest of the game at their own corner flag.

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:18 am

OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK BENDTNER HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MISS THAT YOU USELESS TWAT???!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

AND DIOUF YOU ARE A LUCKY DIRTY CHEATING BASTARD WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN SENT OF TWICE BY NOW

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:27 am

Bendtner off, V-P/Vela on... PLEASE!!!!

Awww now the fans are cheering for him and I feel guilty... I'm just in a bad mood I suppose. Embarassed

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:34 am

Good luck getting your place back now Rosicky! Razz

Have to admit it's good to finally have some competition in that position after so many years.

Dear me, I make that 8 clear cut chances that Bendtner has missed... he really doesn't do well from starts.

Edit: F**k me when did Eboue learn to score??? That's two in three now! Shocked

Correction: 3 in 3. Can he get a hat trick? Razz

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 am

Aaaaaaaand 4th. Never thought I'd say this but come on Spurs!
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Watching the highlights now. That tackle by Diouf should have been a straight red. Fucking disgraceful challenge.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:02 pm