SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+8
Mtank325
MK
IOV
Outlaw2x4
Garibaldi
Big Dave
Rooq
RKO
12 posters

World Cup 2010

Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

World Cup 2010 Empty World Cup 2010

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

So Capello named his England squad today.

Joe Hart,
    David James,
    Robert Green,
    Leighton Baines,
    Jamie Carragher,
    Ashley Cole,
    Michael Dawson,
    Rio Ferdinand,
    Glen Johnson,
    Ledley King,
    John Terry,
    Matthew Upson,
    Stephen Warnock,
    Gareth Barry,
    Michael Carrick,
    Joe Cole,
    Steven Gerrard,
    Tom Huddlestone,
    Adam Johnson,
    Frank Lampard,
    Aaron Lennon,
    James Milner,
    Scott Parker,
    Theo Walcott,
    Shaun Wright-Phillips,
    Darren Bent,
    Peter Crouch,
    Jermain Defoe,
    Emile Heskey,
    Wayne Rooney.

Delighted for Jamie Carragher who is coming out of international retirement for it, and its about damn time too. Also delighted to see Darren Bent in there too who for my money has more call to be in that side than Jermaine Defoe.

Getting very close now to the tournament now. Who is everyones bet to win? I'd like to see England win it but they always come up short. I think Spain are in with a serious shout this year, but much like England and Holland always seem to never get as far as they should.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

World Cup 2010 Empty Re: World Cup 2010

Post  Big Dave Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    Rio Ferdinand,
    Ledley King,
    Gareth Barry,
    Aaron Lennon,

4 sick note right there, especially King, how much as he actually played this season?
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq Tue May 11, 2010 8:59 am

Glad Darren Bent is in the squad.

Overall though, im not too fussed how England do! Teams is full of players who are truly unlikable. Be nice if they won the world cup, but wont be too fussed if (when) they get knocked out.

Cant wait for the World cup, but just not behind England anymore like I used to be.
    RKO
    RKO

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  RKO Tue May 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Which 7 would you drop from the final 23 man squad? I'd go for:
    Leighton Baines, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Michael Carrick and Emile Heskey
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK Tue May 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I couldn't be more excited for the USA vs. England game. Is there as much hype for that match over there as there is over here? People are dubbing it as one of the biggest matches in US Men's Soccer history.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 pm

RKO wrote:Which 7 would you drop from the final 23 man squad? I'd go for:
    Leighton Baines, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Michael Carrick and Emile Heskey

Apparently Capello loves with Emile Heskey, he kind of kites the defenders and takes all the knocks leaving Rooney free to roam about. Personally I'd prefer to have a forward that can actually score.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Post  Rooq Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 am

MK wrote:I couldn't be more excited for the USA vs. England game. Is there as much hype for that match over there as there is over here? People are dubbing it as one of the biggest matches in US Men's Soccer history.

Kind of yes!

Some 'Experts' are saying that it will be an easy game for England (what ever!!)

Some people who know what they are talking about say it will be a very very hard game, will be talked about more when the FA Cup, Europa League is out of the way I would of thought.

USA vs England will be good, last time they played, USA one I think... pretty sure they did.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991

Post  showstealer Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 am

MK wrote:I couldn't be more excited for the USA vs. England game. Is there as much hype for that match over there as there is over here? People are dubbing it as one of the biggest matches in US Men's Soccer history.
    No, we don't regard it as the biggest match in our history. Not much hype for the group stage as we're expected to win it.

RKO wrote:Which 7 would you drop from the final 23 man squad?
    Jamie Carragher, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott and unfortunately Darren Bent.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    No, we don't regard it as the biggest match in our history. Not much hype for the group stage as we're expected to win it.

I thinks he's talking about the American perspective not the global one.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Wed May 12, 2010 10:33 am

Rooq wrote:

Kind of yes!

Some 'Experts' are saying that it will be an easy game for England (what ever!!)

Some people who know what they are talking about say it will be a very very hard game, will be talked about more when the FA Cup, Europa League is out of the way I would of thought.

USA vs England will be good, last time they played, USA one I think... pretty sure they did.

Yep. I believe it was 1950. USA shocked England 1-0, still regarded as the biggest upset in American soccer history.

ShowStealer wrote:No, we don't regard it as the biggest match in our history. Not much hype for the group stage as we're expected to win it.

Well obviously it's not the biggest match in England's history, since your soccer history is far more rich than ours. But there seems to be a feeling here that the US could very well end up winning the group if we're able to beat England, which I think is a possibility. Unfortunately for us, we won't have Charlie Davies up front with Altidore, so our chances took a drastic hit when he was left off the prelim roster yesterday.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Wed May 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Big Dave wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    Rio Ferdinand,
    Ledley King,
    Gareth Barry,
    Aaron Lennon,

4 sick note right there, especially King, how much as he actually played this season?

More than Rio...

Seriously, Ledley started more games and has been on much better form of late - just watch the Arsenal/Chelsea/City games. Actually finished the season with a flurry too after the pulled hamstring - played in most of the run-in including the last four games, including 3 in 9 days.

With him, yes, he's got an injury, but it's a known quantity, he knows how to protect it. that has to give him an edge over players carrying possible serious niggles which they think will "probably" be OK for the tournament.If we don't take Ledley ad Rio breaks down I think we'll really regret it as without the injury he'd be pushing for a regular spot anyway.

Also, please add Theo Walcott to that list. he's had more major injuries in 4 years than the original sicknote Darren Anderton had his whole career.

As for who will be dropped, versatility will play a massive part. Walcott, Carragher, King, Milner and Huddlestone all have experience in multiple positions, so that will boost their claims. I don't see Barry being fit, so that leaves six others to go for me.

Baines, Upson, SWP, Bent (Unfair, but Crouch's record and his love for the other 3 make this a certainty for me, esp as he's only in because of Zamora's injury) , Warnock and Parker/Carrick (Both if Barry sneaks in)
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm

MK wrote:
    Rooq wrote:

Kind of yes!

Yep. I believe it was 1950. USA shocked England 1-0, still regarded as the biggest upset in American soccer history.

ShowStealer wrote:No, we don't regard it as the biggest match in our history. Not much hype for the group stage as we're expected to win it.

Well obviously it's not the biggest match in England's history, since your soccer history is far more rich than ours. But there seems to be a feeling here that the US could very well end up winning the group if we're able to beat England, which I think is a possibility. Unfortunately for us, we won't have Charlie Davies up front with Altidore, so our chances took a drastic hit when he was left off the prelim roster yesterday.

I know a girl who fucks altidore, she said he played better after they had fucked, they must not have being doing it enough looking at Hulls position....
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Wed May 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I take it this girl is a tramp David, real ladies dont fuck they make love. I like tramps.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm

IOV wrote:I take it this girl is a tramp David, real ladies dont fuck they make love. I like tramps.

I'll take the 5th on that one.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Thu May 13, 2010 12:25 am

Big Dave wrote:
    MK wrote:
    Rooq wrote:

Kind of yes!

I know a girl who fucks altidore, she said he played better after they had fucked, they must not have being doing it enough looking at Hulls position....
    Very Happy

We beat USA 2-0 at Wembley the last time we played, a couple of years ago. Expect more of the same next month.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 am

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/785926/ce/uk/?cc=3888&ver=global

I love the sensationalized title they give this article. Guess they decided a title like "Donovan calls Rooney 'one of the top players in the world'" wouldn't get enough views.
    RKO
    RKO

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  RKO Mon May 17, 2010 3:08 am

Michael Ballack has been ruled out of the World Cup for Germany after being fouled in the FA cup final by Kevin Prince Boeatang who will be playing for Ghana in the world cup. Ghana play Germany in the group stages makes you wonder if Boeatang did it on purpose lol.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Post  Rooq Mon May 17, 2010 3:58 am

Shame for Ballack, but he hasnt really been anything special for Chelsea since he has arrived to be honest, massive let down. Guess its a blow for germany but hey! nevermind Very Happy
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Mon May 17, 2010 5:49 am

Ballack has been rubbish for the last two seasons, but that being said I love watching Germany play and Ballack is a big part of that team. Its a shame.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5194974

I had no idea which thread to put this in, so World Cup it is.

Good for MLS. We need to start bringing in some more big names (albeit guys past their prime...) in order to raise the popularity of the league.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Post  Rooq Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 am

MK wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5194974

Good for MLS. We need to start bringing in some more big names (albeit guys past their prime...) in order to raise the popularity of the league.

CHEAT!! I hate Henry for cheating!! scummy lil toe rag.

But is good for USA footie, but didnt really work out for Golden Balls to be honest, will see how it does for Le' Cheat.
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Rooq wrote:
    MK wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5194974

CHEAT!! I hate Henry for cheating!! scummy lil toe rag.

But is good for USA footie, but didnt really work out for Golden Balls to be honest, will see how it does for Le' Cheat.

Well despie being a cheating, bastard face, cunt Henry is ten times the player Beckham is or was on showmanship. He never had the circus around him that Beckham did and still does but on the pitch Henry was a different class to our Dave.

I would still take Beckham pre-2000 over Henry today wonderfull player who would have run into the sun if Ferguson asked him, after 2000 not so much

I blame that skinny, bastard face, cunt, wife
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed May 19, 2010 1:08 am

IOV wrote:I blame that skinny, bastard face, cunt, wife
    Very smart woman though. Beckham's made a fortune out of being a celebrity and a very decent (but not outstanding) football by Man Utd levels. He wasn't fit to lace Gigg's boots but who's got the bigger bank balance? The fans will point to Giggs 10 titles but Beckham is set for life.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    IOV wrote:I blame that skinny, bastard face, cunt, wife
    Very smart woman though. Beckham's made a fortune out of being a celebrity and a very decent (but not outstanding) football by Man Utd levels. He wasn't fit to lace Gigg's boots but who's got the bigger bank balance? The fans will point to Giggs 10 titles but Beckham is set for life.

In fairness, Ryan Giggs is set for life too.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed May 19, 2010 6:58 am

Sorry MK but this made me smile!

World Cup 2010 Wgntv

Giggs is set for life, but not to the same level as Beckham. Posh spice and her kids will never had to do a days work again. I can see Giggs getting involved in coaching/media in order to keep up his current lifestyle.
    IOV
    IOV

Post  IOV Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I remember on of the Sunday Times rich list a few years ago had Giggs listed quite high, he may never have been THE top earner at United but he has been among the top earners for a long, long time. If he was to ever go into coaching, which I think he will, it will be for a love of the game not to maintain a lifestyle
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Thu May 20, 2010 6:00 am

ShowStealer wrote:Sorry MK but this made me smile!

World Cup 2010 Wgntv

Giggs is set for life, but not to the same level as Beckham. Posh spice and her kids will never had to do a days work again. I can see Giggs getting involved in coaching/media in order to keep up his current lifestyle.

Doesn't really bother me. That's a news station out of Chicago. Fuckin idiots, down there.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Fri May 21, 2010 11:30 am

I don't feel that Beckham in the MLS failed at all. The media circus that follows him around has ensured that Europe is aware of the status of the MLS - much more than it was before. That in turn is why deals like this Henry one will start to happen...he's been able to see that there is a structured and comfortable if not fanatical, fan base there.

In the same way that it's taken consistent effort for Villa, Everton and Spurs to establish themselves as a threat to the top 4 in England, building step by step with gradually sronger players, so the MLS can't attract large numbers of good players until it's built it's reputation and standng first. Well, that and being able to offer competitive wages.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5250486/ce/us/didier-drogba-broken-arm?cc=5901&ver=us

Well that changes the entire nature of Group G. I had a feeling it was going to be Brazil and Ivory Coast coming out of the GoD, but without Drogba, I just can't see it. Unfortunate, too, because I think they had the best chance of any African team to advance far into the tournament.

AND now I see that Ferdinand is out? Our chances in the opening match just got a little bit better Very Happy
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Rio was an unpredictable injury risk - with King we knew what we were getting and it's well known how to manage him, but Rio's back keeps going randomly and went again lastweek. Add to that our only convincing defensive showing in the two friendlies is when he wasn't on the pitch 2nd half against Mexico.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:03 am