SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+8
Mtank325
MK
IOV
Outlaw2x4
Garibaldi
Big Dave
Rooq
RKO
12 posters

World Cup 2010

MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

World Cup 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup 2010

Post  MK Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:17 pm

USA/England is going to be a great, great game. I think both teams are playing pretty good football right now.

And yes, I've probably filled out 6 or 7 different tournament brackets, and I have the US winning in each Very Happy
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Well it looks like Wednesday will be an interesting day for Group C. If the USA beats Algeria, we're into the knockout round.

I'm still pretty fuckin pissed about our 3rd goal being called off today. Absolutely no foul anywhere to be seen, except for the Slovenians mugging our players in the box.
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:12 pm

England:

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post  Mtank325 Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am

USA top the group! Who would have seen that coming? In fairness to them they have played well and not been intimidated by anyone. But that being said it was a very easy group and I really dont see them getting passed a proper team in the knock outs.

As for England, I nearly got sick when I heard Gabby Logan kissing Capello's arse fater the match. "That was England without shackles, the England we love blah blah blah". England were fucking rubbish in all three matches and only got in by the skin of their teeth. If a team like Germany, Holland, Arngentina or brazil had been in there then they never would ave qualified. It looks like they'll get Germany now in the last 16 and I reckon Germany will hammer them.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:USA top the group! Who would have seen that coming? In fairness to them they have played well and not been intimidated by anyone. But that being said it was a very easy group and I really dont see them getting passed a proper team in the knock outs.

As for England, I nearly got sick when I heard Gabby Logan kissing Capello's arse fater the match. "That was England without shackles, the England we love blah blah blah". England were fucking rubbish in all three matches and only got in by the skin of their teeth. If a team like Germany, Holland, Arngentina or brazil had been in there then they never would ave qualified. It looks like they'll get Germany now in the last 16 and I reckon Germany will hammer them.
    We played well against Slovenia, that was one of the best defensive displays I've seen for a long time. The reason we don't have a proper team in the group is because we were seeded as a result getting of 27 point during qualification in a proper group with teams like Croatia and Ukraine. During this period we also beat Germany 2-1 in Berlin.

I have no idea why we've been so poor in the world cup, perhaps due to the way the camp in South Africa has been run, but a lot of the other proper European team have struggled as well, Italy drew with NZ, Spain lost to Switzerland and France! But I guess the Irish media wouldn't analysis those teams for some reason. chin ponder
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:08 pm

ShowStealer wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:USA top the group! Who would have seen that coming? In fairness to them they have played well and not been intimidated by anyone. But that being said it was a very easy group and I really dont see them getting passed a proper team in the knock outs.

We played well against Slovenia, that was one of the best defensive displays I've seen for a long time. The reason we don't have a proper team in the group is because we were seeded as a result getting of 27 point during qualification in a proper group with teams like Croatia and Ukraine. During this period we also beat Germany 2-1 in Berlin.

I have no idea why we've been so poor in the world cup, perhaps due to the way the camp in South Africa has been run, but a lot of the other proper European team have struggled as well, Italy drew with NZ, Spain lost to Switzerland and France! But I guess the Irish media wouldn't analysis those teams for some reason. chin ponder

Italy are over the hill and have been for a number of years which explains they're draw with NZ, and the same for France, and when Germany and Spain lost they were by far the batter teams in the game but failed to get what they needed, that can happen and I understand that. But at no point did England ever deserve more than what they got. And not to mention that England shouldn't have to rely on great defenive displays against a team like slovenia, whose best player plays for West Brom who are a relegation side. No other player on that team comes even near the quality of the Premier League. England should be hammering them 4 or 5 nil.

As for the way their camp is being run, I dont see Argentina, Brazil or Holland struggling that much, they've just gone out and done their business.

By the way I only mention the term proper team in regards to USA. I do consider England to be a proper team, but they haven't showed that once. England made Algeria look like masters of defending, when a few days later USA beat them and Ireland beat them 3-0 in the friendlies not even a month ago.

Oh and the Irish covergae of the world cup has been far batter than the shit I've seen on ITV.

Keep in mind here that I want to see England win the world cup! I believe English football to be the best in the world, and I also believe Wayne Rooney to be the best player in the world (and I'm not even a united fan), and I want to World Cup to reflect that.

I understand you are trying to see the positive in their performances, but I don't see any. You should have hammered all three teams, but you struggled in all of them.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:21 pm

We have a great opportunity to get to the semi-finals. We have Ghana up tomorrow, and then we play the winner of Uruguay/South Korea, and I believe we can beat either of those teams. That puts us into the semi-finals, where anything can happen. If we face Brazil, we are facing a team who we had a 2-0 lead on in the final of the Confed Cup last summer at the half (though we did lose 3-2).

After our last two matches, I don't know how you can count us out. Would England have been able to come back to draw Slovenia 2-2 after trailing 2-0 at the half? And let us not forget, we should have won 3-2 due to the botched call. We came back in the match against Slovenia, and we pulled out a goal in stoppage time of the match against Algeria. Don't count us out, especially because the US squad's goal coming into the cup was to make it out of the group stage. At this point, they have nothing to lose, where as other teams are expected to win.

Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:24 am

MK wrote:

We have a great opportunity to get to the semi-finals. We have Ghana up tomorrow, and then we play the winner of Uruguay/South Korea, and I believe we can beat either of those teams. That puts us into the semi-finals, where anything can happen. If we face Brazil, we are facing a team who we had a 2-0 lead on in the final of the Confed Cup last summer at the half (though we did lose 3-2).

After our last two matches, I don't know how you can count us out. Would England have been able to come back to draw Slovenia 2-2 after trailing 2-0 at the half? And let us not forget, we should have won 3-2 due to the botched call. We came back in the match against Slovenia, and we pulled out a goal in stoppage time of the match against Algeria. Don't count us out, especially because the US squad's goal coming into the cup was to make it out of the group stage. At this point, they have nothing to lose, where as other teams are expected to win.

Do not underestimate Ghana or S.Korea. While I do believe USA have enough in the tank to beat both teams, it would be wrong to assume they USA will be favourites going into them. Both teams have performed very well up to now, and S.korea have a decent little set up there. As for Uruguay I do not see you beating them, Diego Forlan has been scoring for fun lately and I think they'd probably win. However you do have a very good chance of reachng the QF's and I'm all for that!
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, we gave it our best. Had plenty of opportunities to score and just couldn't find the back of the net. Shame, too, because I think if we could've reached the quarters or semi-finals, it would have done so much for soccer here in the states. It would have really upped the popularity of it all, because now I know that the World Cup will lose a ton of viewers here now that the US is out.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:47 am

MK wrote:Well, we gave it our best. Had plenty of opportunities to score and just couldn't find the back of the net. Shame, too, because I think if we could've reached the quarters or semi-finals, it would have done so much for soccer here in the states. It would have really upped the popularity of it all, because now I know that the World Cup will lose a ton of viewers here now that the US is out.
    No need for that last sentence. USA are only a draw to casual American fans. Most people will watch the tournament until it finishes, which I hope you do.

Other than that you're posts have been excellent for someone so new to the game, far superior to the Real JK's nonsense! Perhaps it's due to the lack of tabloid coverage of the beautiful game in the states forcing you to make your own opinions? chin ponder

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Italy are over the hill and have been for a number of years which explains they're draw with NZ, and the same for France, and when Germany and Spain lost they were by far the batter teams in the game but failed to get what they needed, that can happen and I understand that. But at no point did England ever deserve more than what they got. And not to mention that England shouldn't have to rely on great defenive displays against a team like slovenia, whose best player plays for West Brom who are a relegation side. No other player on that team comes even near the quality of the Premier League. England should be hammering them 4 or 5 nil.

As for the way their camp is being run, I dont see Argentina, Brazil or Holland struggling that much, they've just gone out and done their business.

By the way I only mention the term proper team in regards to USA. I do consider England to be a proper team, but they haven't showed that once. England made Algeria look like masters of defending, when a few days later USA beat them and Ireland beat them 3-0 in the friendlies not even a month ago.

Oh and the Irish covergae of the world cup has been far batter than the shit I've seen on ITV.

Keep in mind here that I want to see England win the world cup! I believe English football to be the best in the world, and I also believe Wayne Rooney to be the best player in the world (and I'm not even a united fan), and I want to World Cup to reflect that.

I understand you are trying to see the positive in their performances, but I don't see any. You should have hammered all three teams, but you struggled in all of them.
    First off, West Brom got promoted this year. Wink Hammering a team is quite rare in the world cup, Brazil were only able to beat North Korea by a single goal, although Portugal went all out.

Friendlies mean nothing, we beat Germany in Berlin 2 years ago. We lack a real bite upfront which will make today difficult, I think it's key today that we have another excellent defensive display as if we let in more than a single goal we're on the plane home.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:45 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    MK wrote:Well, we gave it our best. Had plenty of opportunities to score and just couldn't find the back of the net. Shame, too, because I think if we could've reached the quarters or semi-finals, it would have done so much for soccer here in the states. It would have really upped the popularity of it all, because now I know that the World Cup will lose a ton of viewers here now that the US is out.
    No need for that last sentence. USA are only a draw to casual American fans. Most people will watch the tournament until it finishes, which I hope you do.

Other than that you're posts have been excellent for someone so new to the game, far superior to the Real JK's nonsense! Perhaps it's due to the lack of tabloid coverage of the beautiful game in the states forcing you to make your own opinions? chin ponder

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Italy are over the hill and have been for a number of years which explains they're draw with NZ, and the same for France, and when Germany and Spain lost they were by far the batter teams in the game but failed to get what they needed, that can happen and I understand that. But at no point did England ever deserve more than what they got. And not to mention that England shouldn't have to rely on great defenive displays against a team like slovenia, whose best player plays for West Brom who are a relegation side. No other player on that team comes even near the quality of the Premier League. England should be hammering them 4 or 5 nil.

First off, West Brom got promoted this year. Wink Hammering a team is quite rare in the world cup, Brazil were only able to beat North Korea by a single goal, although Portugal went all out.

Friendlies mean nothing, we beat Germany in Berlin 2 years ago. We lack a real bite upfront which will make today difficult, I think it's key today that we have another excellent defensive display as if we let in more than a single goal we're on the plane home.

I reckon if Rooney can score an early goal today, that may be the catalyst England need to go on to win the game, and progress into the later rounds. His poor form has a lot to do with it I think.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:13 am

C'mon Rooney!!!

Not England just Rooney Very Happy
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 am

Shite defending, 2-0 down, exactly what I said we had to avoid. Time to pack the bags. wall
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:43 am

I know it's going to be easy to point to the disallowed goal by Lampard, but anyone who blames the England loss on that is simply naive. The defending was just dreadful, there's no two ways arond it.

Would not be surprised to see Germany make a deep run in the tournament, possibly all the way to the finals.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 am

Had Lampards goal been allowed as it should have been it would have been a tighter scoreline, but Germany would still have won in my opinion, they completely ripped the defence apart. Gareth Barry was utterly embarrassing today, and Ozil made a complete cunt of him for the fourth goal. I dont know what the backline were thinking cause they were so spread out they could barely see each other. For Kloses first goal, Terry and Upson were miles out of place!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 am

Terry was chasing everything and didn't keep his position. I think Germany will get to the semis at the least but I doubt they will win it, we made them look better than they actually are! Embarassed
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 am

Germany and Argentina should be a cracker, but as for who would win it, I have no idea. Both teams can score but neither team have been properly tested defensively yet. If I was to put money on it I'd say Argentina might win, as the German goalkeeper has made some big errors, especially for the two goals in the England match, which might prove costly for them. That being said I am loving the German team this year and hope to see them go all the way.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Germany and Argentina should be a cracker, but as for who would win it, I have no idea. Both teams can score but neither team have been properly tested defensively yet. If I was to put money on it I'd say Argentina might win, as the German goalkeeper has made some big errors, especially for the two goals in the England match, which might prove costly for them. That being said I am loving the German team this year and hope to see them go all the way.

However, Sergio Romero hasn't exactly been stellar in Argentina's net. Had a terrible time with a long shot yesterday that almost went straight in over his head without him getting a touch on it. If anything, I'd say the Germany/Argentina match is gonna be a shoot-out, since I think both keepers and both back lines will be caught off guard.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 am

MK wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:Germany and Argentina should be a cracker, but as for who would win it, I have no idea. Both teams can score but neither team have been properly tested defensively yet. If I was to put money on it I'd say Argentina might win, as the German goalkeeper has made some big errors, especially for the two goals in the England match, which might prove costly for them. That being said I am loving the German team this year and hope to see them go all the way.

However, Sergio Romero hasn't exactly been stellar in Argentina's net. Had a terrible time with a long shot yesterday that almost went straight in over his head without him getting a touch on it. If anything, I'd say the Germany/Argentina match is gonna be a shoot-out, since I think both keepers and both back lines will be caught off guard.

True, though I wonder if the Jubilani ball has anything to do with the keepers, as most Keepers have been very panicky about it.

I'm liking the look of Holland right now as well. They are very quietly going about their business. They look solid, professional and efficient. The win today will probably see them go against Brazil, which will be a very tight game, but one for true football fans.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

Well I had a feeling today that Germany might win, but I never saw that coming! The Germans were outstanding today. The first half hour and the last half hour especially. Argentine got a foot in the match just before and after half time, but in truth never really looked like scoring. Schweinseiger, Oezil, Khadeira and Klose were absolutly excellent. Hopefully Spain will go through tonight and face Germany n the semi final, but I couldn't say who would win, but my money is on Germany v Holland for the final.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Well I had a feeling today that Germany might win, but I never saw that coming! The Germans were outstanding today. The first half hour and the last half hour especially. Argentine got a foot in the match just before and after half time, but in truth never really looked like scoring. Schweinseiger, Oezil, Khadeira and Klose were absolutly excellent. Hopefully Spain will go through tonight and face Germany n the semi final, but I couldn't say who would win, but my money is on Germany v Holland for the final.

Yeah, the final is going to be Germany v. Netherlands. As soon as I saw them beat Brazil yesterday, I said that it was going to be those two in the finals. Spain will crack under the pressure and the Germans will pick them apart (even without Mueller), and Uruguay was no match for the Netherlands before Suarez became a national hero with his goal-line handball. Now without him, they stand no chance.

Should be a great final.
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Post  Shane McMahon Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:50 am

"Maradona.... Not a winner tonight." Sad Sad Sad Sad

Oh well, my second team is out so don't care who wins now.

Would rather not see Holland in the final though, I find them incredibly boring. I'd rather see Uruguay vs Germany/Spain.

Actually, I want Uruguay to win the whole thing and put an end to 60 years of hurt.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 am

Terry Silver wrote:"Maradona.... Not a winner tonight." Sad Sad Sad Sad

Oh well, my second team is out so don't care who wins now.

Would rather not see Holland in the final though, I find them incredibly boring. I'd rather see Uruguay vs Germany/Spain.

Actually, I want Uruguay to win the whole thing and put an end to 60 years of hurt.

Spain have been boring as fuck as well so I'm looking for Uruguay v Germany, anything for a decent game!

This has been a bit of an elephant graveyard for all the big stars. Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldo and Torres all came to South Africa to die, the only guy showed up was Messi and he couldnt hav scored in a barrel of fannys.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Post  Rooq Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am

Heres hoping for a Germany Vs Holland final.

Was supporting Spain or Holland from the start but they so BORING!!! and I think Germany will "Muller" (HAHA) them anyway.

Germany have been the best team in the tournament so far and Holland, well, everyone likes holland... apart from the Germans.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am

I never responded about this, but did any of you go out anywhere to watch the USA/England game? I spent the day at brit's pub in Minneapolis. It was INSANE. It was probably 2/3 Americans, 1/3 Brits.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:42 pm

MK wrote:I never responded about this, but did any of you go out anywhere to watch the USA/England game? I spent the day at brit's pub in Minneapolis. It was INSANE. It was probably 2/3 Americans, 1/3 Brits.
    It was on a Friday night here but the pubs my way were full of wankers so I sat in the beer garden and watched the highlights when I got in.
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Post  Shane McMahon Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Holland v Spain.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be Holland and Spain. At Euro 2008 or 2012 maybe, but never in the World Cup.

Anyway, I'm hoping Spain win. I can't warm to this Dutch team. And David Villa is the shit.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:52 pm

I wonder if td he commentators will make any referance to the wars between Spain and Holland from hundereds of years ago, probably not.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:21 am

Big Dave wrote:I wonder if td he commentators will make any referance to the wars between Spain and Holland from hundereds of years ago, probably not.
    I think they'll mention it once, but get away with it.

Spain must be the favs, their team is amazing.

As neither of them has won it before it only goes to show how much of an underachiever England are...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am