SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!


    Must See Matches

    Share
    avatar
    The Stig

    Number of posts : 701
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Stig on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:28 am

    Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:Shawn Michaels v Angle - WM21

    A match that had little to no build, no story and very few promos. As a matter of fact I think the match was only announced about a week before WM. And was without a doubt the best match that night.

    didnt Michaels and Angle build from the Rumble and include the Sexy Kurt song?

    Yep. I'd say it had a pretty strong build actually. Kurt attacked HBK with the steel steps after he was eliminated, then brought back people from HBK's past including Sherri and Jannetty, with the feud building on both Raw and Smackdown. Also, the match was announced the day after No Way Out, after Angle lost to Cena.

    Really? I thought all that build with Janetty and stuff was for their Vengeance rematch.

    No, the rematch was only announced 2 weeks before Vengeance, when Angle was drafted to Raw and HBK came out at the end of the show to challenge him.
    avatar
    Outlaw2x4

    Number of posts : 664
    Location : Eire
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Outlaw2x4 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 am

    The Stig wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:Shawn Michaels v Angle - WM21

    A match that had little to no build, no story and very few promos. As a matter of fact I think the match was only announced about a week before WM. And was without a doubt the best match that night.

    didnt Michaels and Angle build from the Rumble and include the Sexy Kurt song?

    Yep. I'd say it had a pretty strong build actually. Kurt attacked HBK with the steel steps after he was eliminated, then brought back people from HBK's past including Sherri and Jannetty, with the feud building on both Raw and Smackdown. Also, the match was announced the day after No Way Out, after Angle lost to Cena.

    Really? I thought all that build with Janetty and stuff was for their Vengeance rematch.

    No, the rematch was only announced 2 weeks before Vengeance, when Angle was drafted to Raw and HBK came out at the end of the show to challenge him.

    I must've mixed them up then.

    Bret v Owen - Cage match Summerslam 94

    I think this natch is the best cage match I've ever seen and alot better than their WM match.
    avatar
    IOV

    Number of posts : 998
    Age : 33
    Location : Ireland
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  IOV on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 am

    Stone Cold v HHH- No Way Out 2001 the three stages of hell match, the first a straight up wrestling match, then a street fight and finishing with the cage match. Brilliant stuff I thought but i'd say most have already seen it
    avatar
    Mr Torrie Wilson

    Number of posts : 301
    Age : 34
    Location : Purgatory
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:31 am

    Bret Hart & Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith & Jim Neidhart & Brian Pillman vs Steve Austin & Ken Shamrock & Goldust & The Legion of Doom - Canadian Stampede.

    Very intense match that defined the entire US vs Canada feud. Great story in the match, some brilliant moments from Steve Austin and the emotional scenes at the end with all the Harts in the ring at once are particularly poignant given that four of the guys in the match are no longer alive.

    Mankind vs Shawn Michaels - In your House: Mindgames.

    Shawn Michaels and Mick Foley at their best, with a great storyline of Shawn going in with no idea how to beat Mankind and having to become Mankind to survive. Not literally. The finish never really bothered me at the time but if you haven't seen it already I can see why it might frustrate you. I'm more frustrated that there was never a real Michaels/Foley feud.
    avatar
    The Ayatollah

    Number of posts : 719
    Age : 37
    Location : Edinburgh
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Ayatollah on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:23 am

    I have that Michaels v Mankind match on one of my DVD's, i think its on Mick's DVD. Excellent stuff
    avatar
    Outlaw2x4

    Number of posts : 664
    Location : Eire
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Outlaw2x4 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:24 am

    Eddie Guerrero v Dean Malenko - Hostile City Showdown 1995

    I have the original tape of this but I just watched it again on the Eddie DVD, and this is an incredible match. Its hilarious hearing a few hardcore hecklers gets thrown out, but the majority of a hardcore ECW crowd eat up a match with nothing but classic mat wrestling. Finish was disappointing when I first saw it, but I think it fits the match even better now.

    Eddie Guerrero v Dean Malenko - Starrcade 1997

    Also have this PPV on tape but watched the match on the Eddie DVD. This match completely explains why Nitro's undercard was so much better than Raw's in 1997. This was the opening match on the card and completely stole the show. I don't think its as good as their ECW bout but it could argued that's its better to watch.
    avatar
    PeteRoe

    Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  PeteRoe on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:42 am

    The Ayatollah wrote:I have that Michaels v Mankind match on one of my DVD's, i think its on Mick's DVD. Excellent stuff

    Yeah its on Hard Knocks mate.

    And it is an excellent shout. Great match.
    avatar
    The Ayatollah

    Number of posts : 719
    Age : 37
    Location : Edinburgh
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Ayatollah on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 am

    IOV wrote:Stone Cold v HHH- No Way Out 2001 the three stages of hell match, the first a straight up wrestling match, then a street fight and finishing with the cage match. Brilliant stuff I thought but i'd say most have already seen it

    Loved this match as well, good call on this match IOV...an awesome feud
    avatar
    showstealer

    Number of posts : 1977
    Age : 74
    Location : The 3rd Division.
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  showstealer on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:19 am

    ShowStealer wrote:Fair play Stig, fair play.

    I'll go with

    RVD V Jerry Lynn, Hardcore Heaven 99.

    Not the best fued in ECW but the best series of matches, this was the best of the series featuring many reversal of reversals. After this match people started to realise how great Lynn was and the follow year he beat RVD, which happened rarely in ECW and he became the world champion.


    Ric Flair V HBK, Wrestlemania 24

    Flair and HBK managed to pull the heartstrings with this one, a very emotion fan for me as Ric Flair is may fav wrestler of all time. It was like Rock V Hogan with wrestling.

    Mike Awesome V Masato Tanaka, November to Remember 99

    This feud had started in Japan before crossing the pacific, with Awesome sneaking in to the match for the title at the previous PPV and winning it at the expense of Tanaka. The series of matches was not the best technical but one of the hardest hitting and this one was the best of the series. They had another match in the WWE 5 years later, which led to Awesome quitting the business for financial reasons. He committed suicide soon afterwards.

    Chris Beniot V Dean Malenko, Hog Wild 96 Nitro, September 99

    I've been raving about this match for the number one contendership for years, but no one on smash remembers it, not even HEF. Sting was the current champion, and also a heel for the only time of his career. A number 1 contender was needed, this started with a Russoesque team battle royal to find the 2 qualifiers for the match. The final 2 were Dean and Chris, who were both members of revolution, they shook hands and the next week it was show time!

    Here is the fucking match! Apologies for the French commentry, but it's worth it as this is simply the bets technical match ever.

    Rey V Kidman V Juvi, Starcade 98
    WCW was the best promotion in America when it came to cruiserweights. The story going in to this was as follows; Kidman had left the flock and had become a legit contender and had won the CW title. Eddie had created the LWO (Latio World Order) to complain about the lack or opportunity for Latio wrestlers, Juvi had joined the group whereas Rey despised it. As the contenders came in to the ring, Rey wiped his arse with a LWO shirt. For any one who never saw Rey in wcw (his prime) you should either watch this or his match against Eddy at Halloween Havoc 97. This is my pick, full of oh my god moments. This sort of match will never be seen in WWE and you should be able to find it on dailymotion.

    There you go.

    You must watch the Beniot V Malenko fight, especially if your smash user name is Doug Flair.
    avatar
    Mr Torrie Wilson

    Number of posts : 301
    Age : 34
    Location : Purgatory
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:16 pm

    ShowStealer wrote:

    Chris Beniot V Dean Malenko, Hog Wild 96 Nitro, September 99

    I've been raving about this match for the number one contendership for years, but no one on smash remembers it, not even HEF. Sting was the current champion, and also a heel for the only time of his career. A number 1 contender was needed, this started with a Russoesque team battle royal to find the 2 qualifiers for the match. The final 2 were Dean and Chris, who were both members of revolution, they shook hands and the next week it was show time!

    Here is the fucking match! Apologies for the French commentry, but it's worth it as this is simply the bets technical match ever.


    Thanks for adding explanations. I don't see what the fuss is about this match though. It's fun enough but it only lasts seven minutes. I know by 1999 WCW standards seven minutes is the equivalent of a 60 minute broadway but even so theres not a lot to it.
    avatar
    showstealer

    Number of posts : 1977
    Age : 74
    Location : The 3rd Division.
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  showstealer on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 pm

    Yeah, I should or re-watched it before claiming it was the bets technical match ever...

    It isn't even a must see really, more a match that a lot of people would of missed. I still think it kicks arse, for the time they had they couldn't do anything more.

    Perhaps a Super J Cup match would of been a better choice.
    avatar
    Mr Torrie Wilson

    Number of posts : 301
    Age : 34
    Location : Purgatory
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 am

    ShowStealer wrote:Yeah, I should or re-watched it before claiming it was the bets technical match ever...

    It isn't even a must see really, more a match that a lot of people would of missed. I still think it kicks arse, for the time they had they couldn't do anything more.

    Perhaps a Super J Cup match would of been a better choice.

    Yeah there's probably quite a few matches now that won't live up to our memories of them. Benoit vs Regal at the 3rd Brian Pillman memorial show was, as I remember, a pretty great technical match. Haven't seen it in years though so don't hold me to it, but it was definitely a great match.
    avatar
    showstealer

    Number of posts : 1977
    Age : 74
    Location : The 3rd Division.
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  showstealer on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:57 pm

    Randy Savage V Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat WM3, is definitely a match that's not so good when watched again. It's aged really badly.
    avatar
    The Ayatollah

    Number of posts : 719
    Age : 37
    Location : Edinburgh
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Ayatollah on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:48 am

    ShowStealer wrote:
    Here's another WCW one.

    Rey V Eddie, Halloween Havoc 97
    . Without doubt it was the best match the 2 have ever had.


    Just saw that match this morning, bloody outstanding!
    avatar
    Shane McMahon

    Number of posts : 352
    Age : 47
    Location : New York
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Shane McMahon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:17 am

    Yokozuna (c) v The Undertaker @ Royal Rumble 1994
    Witness the true genius of Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette. Here, they take full advantage of the No DQ rule and hire about 15 guys to beat the shit out of The Undertaker (something that's always fun to watch). The Green Smoke Monster is also quite a spectacle.

    Ultimate Warrior v HHH @ Wrestlemania 12
    You've just woken up from a funny dream in which HHH gets squashed in the ring. Now watch this and witness your dream come true.

    Bret Hart (c) v Yokozuna @ Wrestlemania IX
    See Hogan's ego at work.
    avatar
    The Ayatollah

    Number of posts : 719
    Age : 37
    Location : Edinburgh
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Ayatollah on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:25 am

    Got the Yoko vs Taker match on the 'Tombstone' DVD...Good stuff


    Believe a few of ya mentioned Cactus vs Triple H at RR 2000...Fantastic match, Triple H bled like a bitch in this match, still trying to pinpoint exactly where in the match The Game's leg gets gashed open...it looked horrible
    avatar
    Sweatsock

    Number of posts : 360
    Age : 33
    Location : Glasgow
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Sweatsock on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:58 am

    The Ayatollah wrote:Got the Yoko vs Taker match on the 'Tombstone' DVD...Good stuff


    Believe a few of ya mentioned Cactus vs Triple H at RR 2000...Fantastic match, Triple H bled like a bitch in this match, still trying to pinpoint exactly where in the match The Game's leg gets gashed open...it looked horrible

    It's from the suplex in the aisle onto a packing crate.
    avatar
    The Ayatollah

    Number of posts : 719
    Age : 37
    Location : Edinburgh
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Ayatollah on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 pm

    Oh yeah when he suplexed him onto the wooden pallets??
    avatar
    Dr Hellwig PhD

    Number of posts : 217
    Age : 38
    Location : Perpetually moving through shitholes. Or Polmont and Croy as they are otherwise known
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:02 pm

    Randy Savage v The Ultimate Warrior - Wrestlemania VII

    The only match on the card that meant a damn and actually delivered.

    Randy Savage pulled off one of the single greatest performances I have ever witnessed in a WWE/F ring and for all that some of his peers might snipe at Randy's abilities because he insisted on running through matches on a move by move basis (a practice that the majority of these hypocrites both endorse and actively take part in nowadays)nobody can deny that he did the unthinkable that night and had a truly classic one-on-one match with The Ultimate Warrior. He made him a seem a credible worker and the psychology of the match is perfectly laid out.

    Wonderful match full of drama and the ultimate happy ending (as long as you forget about the locking in cupboards and ODs and all that...)
    avatar
    zhukov

    Number of posts : 99
    Location : Deepest Darkest Africa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  zhukov on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:14 pm

    Rock vs Austin Wrestlemania X7


    just THE perfect example of an Attitude era brawl style main event, featuring the two biggest names, and on the biggest PPV ever at the time, just everything, the setting, the match etc etc

    123 Kid vs Owen Hart KOTR 1994

    the prime example of a match getting dicked for time (due to injury or whatever it was) and being all kinds of awesome

    Ram Jam

    Number of posts : 160
    Age : 29
    Location : Missouri
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Ram Jam on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 am

    Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr. Halloween Havoc 1997

    One of the best matches of all time, and this is how you're supposed to have a cruiserweight title match; high-flying excitement mixed with great technicality and psychology. Never will get old.

    HBK vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell Bad Blood 1997

    Another really good match, and the first ever HIAC. One of HBK's best matches, in my opinion. He oversold a bit, without looking like a douchebag and without being overly hilarious (ala vs. Hogan at Summerslam 2005). And the debut of Kane!

    HBK vs. Hulk Hogan Summerslam 2005

    HBK's bumping and overselling almost had me laughing to tears. The big boot oversell is CLASSIC!

    Edge vs. Matt Hardy Cage Match Unforgiven 2005

    Really entertaining stuff, possibly my favorite cage match ever. Good feud build-up and this had a big match feel to it.

    Plenty, plenty more, but those are off the top of my head. I loved all of those matches.
    avatar
    Dr Hellwig PhD

    Number of posts : 217
    Age : 38
    Location : Perpetually moving through shitholes. Or Polmont and Croy as they are otherwise known
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

    Ram Jam wrote:
    HBK vs. Hulk Hogan Summerslam 2005

    HBK's bumping and overselling almost had me laughing to tears. The big boot oversell is CLASSIC!


    Agreed! A sadly all too rare chance to see the pre-injury Shawn back at his manipulative and self serving best - the fact he was doing it to Hogan is ultimately forgivable and some would say downright justifiable!
    avatar
    IOV

    Number of posts : 998
    Age : 33
    Location : Ireland
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  IOV on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 am

    So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    I dont agree, if I tried to show this to any of my friends who dont watch wrestling they would no doubt punch me in the face and never talk to me again, it may be harsh but it would be just and I would live out my life alone
    avatar
    The Stig

    Number of posts : 701
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  The Stig on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 am

    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.
    avatar
    IOV

    Number of posts : 998
    Age : 33
    Location : Ireland
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  IOV on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 am

    The Stig wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.

    Then Vince deserves the punch in the face not me

    Ram Jam

    Number of posts : 160
    Age : 29
    Location : Missouri
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Ram Jam on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    I dont agree, if I tried to show this to any of my friends who dont watch wrestling they would no doubt punch me in the face and never talk to me again, it may be harsh but it would be just and I would live out my life alone

    I think if you showed any of your non-wrestling fan friends any of these matches they might punch you in the face; they're not wrestling fans!

    Okay, maybe it's not a must see match and one of the best matches of all time, but to me I thought it was hilarioius to see HBK flipping after getting rammed into the turnbuckle and him basically running a lap in the ring after taking the big boot. Show this to any wrestling fan who understands selling they'll be laughing. As a match, it's really entertaining, I don't care if HBK was being a douche bag or not.
    avatar
    showstealer

    Number of posts : 1977
    Age : 74
    Location : The 3rd Division.
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  showstealer on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 pm

    IOV wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.

    Then Vince deserves the punch in the face not me
    ...for allowing Hogan to have creative control in the first place. The HBK match was needed to show him up, has Hogan wrestled again in the WWE since?
    avatar
    Outlaw2x4

    Number of posts : 664
    Location : Eire
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Outlaw2x4 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:37 am

    ShowStealer wrote:
    IOV wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.

    Then Vince deserves the punch in the face not me
    ...for allowing Hogan to have creative control in the first place. The HBK match was needed to show him up, has Hogan wrestled again in the WWE since?

    I think his match with Orton was after that, and he went over once again....
    avatar
    showstealer

    Number of posts : 1977
    Age : 74
    Location : The 3rd Division.
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  showstealer on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:53 am

    Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:
    IOV wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.

    Then Vince deserves the punch in the face not me
    ...for allowing Hogan to have creative control in the first place. The HBK match was needed to show him up, has Hogan wrestled again in the WWE since?

    I think his match with Orton was after that, and he went over once again....

    Mad There isn't a wrestler I despise more than Hogan. If only they still had shows in front of ECW crowds, if Hogan was there I'll guarantee that something would get thrown at him, most likely a chair.
    avatar
    Outlaw2x4

    Number of posts : 664
    Location : Eire
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Outlaw2x4 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 am

    ShowStealer wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:
    IOV wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

    Vince told him to do it.

    Then Vince deserves the punch in the face not me
    ...for allowing Hogan to have creative control in the first place. The HBK match was needed to show him up, has Hogan wrestled again in the WWE since?

    I think his match with Orton was after that, and he went over once again....

    Mad There isn't a wrestler I despise more than Hogan. If only they still had shows in front of ECW crowds, if Hogan was there I'll guarantee that something would get thrown at him, most likely a chair.

    If Hogan stood in front of a ECW Crowd I think they would riot most likely.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Must See Matches

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 am