SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Must See Matches

IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Re: Must See Matches

Post  IOV on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 am

Ram Jam wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

I dont agree, if I tried to show this to any of my friends who dont watch wrestling they would no doubt punch me in the face and never talk to me again, it may be harsh but it would be just and I would live out my life alone

I think if you showed any of your non-wrestling fan friends any of these matches they might punch you in the face; they're not wrestling fans!

Okay, maybe it's not a must see match and one of the best matches of all time, but to me I thought it was hilarioius to see HBK flipping after getting rammed into the turnbuckle and him basically running a lap in the ring after taking the big boot. Show this to any wrestling fan who understands selling they'll be laughing. As a match, it's really entertaining, I don't care if HBK was being a douche bag or not.

I fail to see your point here

I know my non-wrestling fans friends arent wrestling fans i alluded to that when i said "my friends who dont watch wrestling" but this match wouldnt sway them at all it would reinforce their belief that wrestling is an over the top ballet between two old men who flopped around after every punch kick or Irish whip

Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 am

IOV wrote:
    Ram Jam wrote:
    IOV wrote:So because Shawn showed himself to be a complete ball bag this is a must see match? He should have been a professional about it

I dont agree, if I tried to show this to any of my friends who dont watch wrestling they would no doubt punch me in the face and never talk to me again, it may be harsh but it would be just and I would live out my life alone

I think if you showed any of your non-wrestling fan friends any of these matches they might punch you in the face; they're not wrestling fans!

Okay, maybe it's not a must see match and one of the best matches of all time, but to me I thought it was hilarioius to see HBK flipping after getting rammed into the turnbuckle and him basically running a lap in the ring after taking the big boot. Show this to any wrestling fan who understands selling they'll be laughing. As a match, it's really entertaining, I don't care if HBK was being a douche bag or not.

I fail to see your point here

I know my non-wrestling fans friends arent wrestling fans i alluded to that when i said "my friends who dont watch wrestling" but this match wouldnt sway them at all it would reinforce their belief that wrestling is an over the top ballet between two old men who flopped around after every punch kick or Irish whip

My point being, that if you showed your non-wrestling friends anything involving wrestling, whether it be this match, a shoot promo, HHH having sex with a mannequin, or anything, they'd likely punch you in the face...okay, maybe not that far, but still, they'd be disinterested, no matter what you show them.

Like I've mentioned, I like this match for the pure entertainment of it. I like it because it's possibly Shawn's way of saying "Fuck you!" to Hulk Hogan, as well, and I have no problem with most people doing that, to be honest. It's on my list of must-see matches; not yours.
    IOV

Post  IOV on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:40 am

Ok you enjoyed it but what im saying is in the eyes of a casual or new fan this match would make wrestling look terrible

Its enjoyable if you know the backstory of Hogan being a cunt over the finish (and over the years) and Vince telling HBK to go out and be a bigger cunt
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:24 am

Just to clarify IOV, it's must see matches in terms of if you're a wrestling fan, not must-see matches in some nightmarish totalitarian state where everyone is forced to watch selected wrestling matches. And your point about casual or new fans might be relevant if he wasn't posting in the Wrestling History section of an internet wrestling forum.
    IOV

Post  IOV on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 am

I like your beard
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:14 am

It is pretty awesome.
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post  Mtank325 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Just finished watching Royal Rumble 01' and the Austin/Rock moments/matches were classic and my all-time favorite matches and I'm surprised the only one mentioned was their Wrestlemania X7 meeting. WMXIX was a great match, and surprisingly not the main event.

Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:19 am

Mtank325 wrote:Just finished watching Royal Rumble 01' and the Austin/Rock moments/matches were classic and my all-time favorite matches and I'm surprised the only one mentioned was their Wrestlemania X7 meeting. WMXIX was a great match, and surprisingly not the main event.

All matches those two had were fantastic, in my opinion. Lots of people don't like to mention the Wrestlemania 17 match because of the finish, but to me, it didn't matter; that's how you put on a Wrestlemania main event. That's how you close a show. Their WM 19 match was good, too, considering how the events for Austin leading up to it was. Given like...5-10 more minutes to develop, it could've been hailed as a classic, like their WM 17 match.

Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn T.V. title matches: Living Dangerously and Hardcore Heaven 1999

One of the best series of matches of all time. I think the match at Living Dangerously might've been better, but I respect the Hardcore Heaven match a bit more because of the effort put in by Lynn after cracking his skull on the concrete. Really incredible stuff from these two guys.
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719

Post  The Ayatollah on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 am

Agreed there both of those Van Dam v Lynn matches were great...moreso Hardcore Heaven.

I'll add to Sweatsock mentioning Mr Perfect vs Bret Hart at Summerslam 91, I loved this match, The Hitman and Mr Perfect were 2 of my faves as a young lad...Bret and Curt had amazing chemistry in the ring together, this one was great, great psychology, hard hitting back and forth match. These 2 were the true champs back then even though Vince kept them at IC level in the early 90's. Was a shame Mr Perfect never got a World Title run
    Screwjob97

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2009-06-08

Post  Screwjob97 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:44 am

The Rock vs. Mick Foley at Royal Rumble '99 Hardcore

Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit Rumble '01 Ladder match

Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Micheals WrestleMania XIX

Adam Shame vs. Eric "The Fist" Canyon "I Quit" Match (In Bellshill, Scotland)
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Screwjob97 wrote:The Rock vs. Mick Foley at Royal Rumble '99 Hardcore

I think you'll find that was an "I Quit" match.
    The Stig

Number of posts : 701
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  The Stig on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:

I think you'll also find it was also The Rock vs Mankind, but let's not get too picky.
    Bradshaw101

Number of posts : 163

Post  Bradshaw101 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 am

I'll get a YouTube link when I get home from work (hopefullu), but Misawa's breakout win over Jumbo Tsuruta from AJPW in 1990 is a wonder to behold. Tsuruta gets increasingly pissed off that this young punk won't just stay down, which eventually allows Misawa to get the win and move up the card. Of course, he only got the win AFTER Tsuruta had dumped the belt to Stan Hansen, but that's another classic match.
    Screwjob97

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2009-06-08

Post  Screwjob97 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:

Yeah I knew I had messed up that post. Thanks for the reminder mate. Smile And Stig too late.

Last edited by Screwjob97 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bradshaw101

Number of posts : 163

Post  Bradshaw101 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Misawa v Tsuruta:

Part 1:

Part 2:
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17