SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+9
Big Dave
Shaun2J
Outlaw2x4
Mr Torrie Wilson
The Stig
Shane McMahon
DX-Superkick
Rooq
MK
13 posters

Smash happening of the decade

Poll

What is the defining moment, event or general happening of Smashlife/Smashlives of the Noughties?

[ 1 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left10%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left0%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left20%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left10%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left30%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [30%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left0%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 2 ]
    Smash happening of the decade Bar_left20%Smash happening of the decade Bar_right [20%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Poll closed
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Smash happening of the decade Empty Smash happening of the decade

Post  Garibaldi Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:44 pm

http://www.smashlives.com/the-locker-room-your-first-stop-f3/polls-of-the-noughties-t588.htm#13485

There have been many times in the history of Smash that stick in the mind - I've just picked a few of the ones that I remember (plus the london bombiongs which was just before I started posting ut is obviously a big thing) but there have been many more that for different reasons stand out to different people - I'll always have a soft spot for the arrival of Umage...a whole page of "Is that Jamal?" posts in about 3 minutes...but there's also Dis-X, the league tables, the birth of Glasgow gets smashed/ Manchester gets smashed, the lockdown, Goodygate, feuds, departures and returns...something for everyone.

Same deal as usual...don't just pick one, say why, and if yours isn't there, then pick "Other" and say what it is...just say why it stood out for you.
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Smash happening of the decade Empty Re: Smash happening of the decade

Post  MK Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

I know this isn't following the rules of picking one specific event, but just the few years where Smash was really at its peak. LG Hooker, Mtank, Fonz, Rooq, DougFlair, Inno, etc. It was such a lively place, and even though I was 15/16 and was often razzed just like Warriorfan was, it was a great place to always come back to.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 am

I think the Benoit death was pretty big, hearing of his death and then hearing the news of what really happened was big.

Also the July 11th bombings when the forum was posting alot that day to see if memebers where all ok, was a very sad day but also brought the forum very close was nice.

Oh yeah and my 5 year reign of Mr. Nice!!!! hehe.. how cool.
    DX-Superkick
    DX-Superkick

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2008-09-20

Post  DX-Superkick Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 am

I'd say the death, period of Smashlife. That was the kicker cause after what a year? And a half? But yeah when it died that was it. It came back and all but it's a lot smaller, and there are just no differing opinions and it makes it so linear here.
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 am

The banning of Smash's #1 draw, Shane McMahon.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 am

DX-Superkick wrote:I'd say the death, period of Smashlife. That was the kicker cause after what a year? And a half? But yeah when it died that was it. It came back and all but it's a lot smaller, and there are just no differing opinions and it makes it so linear here.

I disagree! Twisted Evil

Terry Silver wrote:The banning of Smash's #1 draw, Shane McMahon.

Was considered, along with Fonzgate, for the options up there...
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:19 am

My choice:

The london bombings was too early for me, but Benoit wasn't certainly. It was moments like that, with the initial revelations, and the bleeding of news from other sources over the days, that sowed Smash really pulling together, whether in grief the firstday, confusion as details broke or coming to terms with everything over the course of a week or so.

From the fun side, it was predictomania that really caught the attention, and the way we sought each other out online when Smash vanished was a telling sigh of how strong the group was, but as a community I think moments like that were our real peak.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Number of posts : 705

Post  The Stig Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm

The poll options pretty much ignore anything which happened before 2005; and even then, it's not a great list of things which have happened since.
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 302
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:37 pm

The Stig wrote:The poll options pretty much ignore anything which happened before 2005; and even then, it's not a great list of things which have happened since.

It's like asking what was your favourite moment of Only Fools and Horses and then only listing things that happened in it from 2001 to 2003.

No mention of fonzgate, the MalenkoMark assasination, Woody getting banned, the gradual mental decline of DougFlar, Linux's tales of gangsta/system's admin life, Banzai wanking in front of his cat, Smash's "mainstream" success by getting on TalkSport and the first time Smash went down and then came back (not to be confused with last year when smash went down and came back up).
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:
    The Stig wrote:The poll options pretty much ignore anything which happened before 2005; and even then, it's not a great list of things which have happened since.

It's like asking what was your favourite moment of Only Fools and Horses and then only listing things that happened in it from 2001 to 2003.

No mention of fonzgate, the MalenkoMark assasination, Woody getting banned, the gradual mental decline of DougFlar, Linux's tales of gangsta/system's admin life, Banzai wanking in front of his cat, Smash's "mainstream" success by getting on TalkSport and the first time Smash went down and then came back (not to be confused with last year when smash went down and came back up).

MTW for Admin.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 am

The Stig wrote:
    Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:

MTW for Admin.

It would make about as much sense as the choices of MOD did.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:57 am

Banzai's cat wanking incident will always be number 1!
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 am

I honestly can't remember anything that's happened here other than EdgeRulez and King Steve bitching about...
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:01 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Banzai's cat wanking incident will always be number 1!

I wonder what happened to that guy...
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Banzai's cat wanking incident will always be number 1!

Its a shame we don't have quote of the year anymore!
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:53 pm

1. I said in the first post it was a list of things I remembered plus the London bombings. I started posting seriously around 2004/2005, so the bias of the last 5 or so years isn't surprising. I always hear about other stuff that's happened in the past but never in terms greater than "there was this one time that..." so it's hard to pick the biggest things from that. I tried to go were possible for things above and beyond a single post or 1 week trend.

I also thought that as there are others who joined around the same time as me or later, there's a good number of people who wouldn't remember that much pre-2005 so it had to be something pretty big.

2. Ive also said on these polls that these are a guide, not a definitive list, and there are things like Fonzgate - and I'd never heard the Banzai thing but that IS a good one! - which I invite you to mention.

And remember...it's DEFINITIVE, not necessarily BEST

3. There is a mod spot going now due to Sweatsock's impending wee bairn. It may be quiet here, but I am wondering if the right mod with good ideas would shake things up...so don't go giving us ideas if you really don't want them...
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:37 pm

I also liked the clashes between King Steve and ER. Best bit was King Steve asking ER to meet him so he "could beat the fuck out of him for constantly bitching about his Survivor game."
    RVDSucka
    RVDSucka

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-12-28

Post  RVDSucka Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:16 am

Banzai and his cat was classic! I gotta say I really did enjoy doing the Predictomania during its peak.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991

Post  showstealer Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:59 am

I like the time when someone donated their last 50p on paypal to smash, because the amount was so small smash had to pay the transaction fee and were left a pound or so down. Inno went off on one complaining about how he just cost smash some money as the poster claimed that he was unaware of his error and was just trying to help and next time he wouldn't bother. Inno replies by saying that would be welcomed. Groovico then shows up and tries to explain to the poster that they are thankful for his effort but unfortunately smash is now £1 or whatever down. Inno returns to claim that smash isn't thankful to the poster and the £1 they had to give to paypal is probably going to be spent on burning down trees in Brazil.

Smile
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 pm

ShowStealer wrote:I like the time when someone donated their last 50p on paypal to smash, because the amount was so small smash had to pay the transaction fee and were left a pound or so down. Inno went off on one complaining about how he just cost smash some money as the poster claimed that he was unaware of his error and was just trying to help and next time he wouldn't bother. Inno replies by saying that would be welcomed. Groovico then shows up and tries to explain to the poster that they are thankful for his effort but unfortunately smash is now £1 or whatever down. Inno returns to claim that smash isn't thankful to the poster and the £1 they had to give to paypal is probably going to be spent on burning down trees in Brazil.

Smile

- It was 20p.
    - His name was Dave Meltzer.
    - Inno was a cock about it.
    - (As usual.)
    brother of destruction
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Shane O'Mac's tale of rage when he was defeated by M Bison on Street Fighter & decided to throw his SNES at the wall is a favourite of mine.

The whole "cousin loving" thing.

Everyone pulling together was pretty impressive for a bunch of dudes on a forum.

oh & the whole "enter Sandman" / "throwing a glass of vodka in my face" confusion after way too many pints after a manchester taping of Raw. It was the same night Dr Road Woyah tried to give an RKO to both a dalek & an ice warrior.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:32 pm

The Stig wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:I like the time when someone donated their last 50p on paypal to smash, because the amount was so small smash had to pay the transaction fee and were left a pound or so down. Inno went off on one complaining about how he just cost smash some money as the poster claimed that he was unaware of his error and was just trying to help and next time he wouldn't bother. Inno replies by saying that would be welcomed. Groovico then shows up and tries to explain to the poster that they are thankful for his effort but unfortunately smash is now £1 or whatever down. Inno returns to claim that smash isn't thankful to the poster and the £1 they had to give to paypal is probably going to be spent on burning down trees in Brazil.

Smile

- It was 20p.
    - His name was Dave Meltzer.
    - Inno was a cock about it.
    - (As usual.)
    Well remembered. Smile
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:35 pm

brother of destruction wrote:Shane O'Mac's tale of rage when he was defeated by M Bison on Street Fighter & decided to throw his SNES at the wall is a favourite of mine.

Everyone pulling together was pretty impressive for a bunch of dudes on a forum.

oh & the whole "enter Sandman" / "throwing a glass of vodka in my face" confusion after way too many pints after a manchester taping of Raw. It was the same night Dr Road Woyah tried to give an RKO to both a dalek & an ice warrior.
    What about the Colin Bell End? Wink
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:58 pm

brother of destruction wrote:oh & the whole "enter Sandman" / "throwing a glass of vodka in my face" confusion after way too many pints after a manchester taping of Raw. It was the same night Dr Road Woyah tried to give an RKO to both a dalek & an ice warrior.

No offence, but can it really be considered a "Smash Moment of the Decade" if only a select few people actually attended/experienced it?

I've met up with a few people from this forum, and while each meet was an enjoyable experience, I wouldn't exactly consider them to be forum moments...
    brother of destruction
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    brother of destruction wrote:Shane O'Mac's tale of rage when he was defeated by M Bison on Street Fighter & decided to throw his SNES at the wall is a favourite of mine.

What about the Colin Bell End? Wink

Forgot all about that! Laughing It was mentioned a few weeks back on TV. Think it might have been Russell Howard.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:08 am