SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+3
showstealer
Rooq
Big Dave
7 posters

Sir Bobby Robson.

showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Sir Bobby Robson. Empty Sir Bobby Robson.

Post  showstealer Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:26 am

Has passed away. A great footballing man and a true gentleman. I doubt there are many people (British press Circa 1990 excluded) who would have a bad word to say about him.

R.I.P.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Sir Bobby Robson. Empty Re: Sir Bobby Robson.

Post  Rooq Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:34 am

Gutted Crying or Very sad

Is very sad in the office at work, he was a true legend around Ipswich and so loved.

R.I.P
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 am

I'm feeling very empty right now and he had nothing to do with Charlton. He always came across as such a great and kind man, his enthusiasm for football was second to non, even in his 70s. It was only last weekend that he was at a match in his wheel chair, raising money for his cancer trust. Even in his last days he was putting others before himself. Sadly his kind are a rarity in this day. Sad
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:50 am

Sad news.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Post  Rooq Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:03 am

ShowStealer wrote:I'm feeling very empty right now and he had nothing to do with Charlton. He always came across as such a great and kind man, his enthusiasm for football was second to non, even in his 70s. It was only last weekend that he was at a match in his wheel chair, raising money for his cancer trust. Even in his last days he was putting others before himself. Sadly his kind are a rarity in this day. Sad

Is true! alot of people at work are saying the same, I work with a man u and liverpool fan and they both have said they are gutted and so sad, Never really get that bothered about celeb deaths, is always sad but this one just seems different, am gutted that he has died, knew it was coming but so sad, Footballs greatest man and a great bloke as well.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:31 am

Sir Bobby Robson. _46137090_robson86getty
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  The Ayatollah Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 am

Very sad news indeed, a very much liked and well respected man in the footy world. A true legend, and I'm sure fans of many clubs around the country, and around Europe are deeply saddened at Sir Bobby's passing. Sad day for British football Sad

RIP Sir Bobby...you wont be forgotten
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 am

Lifetime achievement award.

Sir Alex Ferguson wrote:I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Sweatsock Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 am

ShowStealer wrote:I'm feeling very empty right now and he had nothing to do with Charlton. He always came across as such a great and kind man, his enthusiasm for football was second to non, even in his 70s. It was only last weekend that he was at a match in his wheel chair, raising money for his cancer trust. Even in his last days he was putting others before himself. Sadly his kind are a rarity in this day. Sad

I would echo this entirely. I don't think there is anyone in football who I would have more admiration for that isn't associated wth Celtic. I've often told BoD how Bobby was my favourite non-Celtic person in football. An enormous loss to the game in this country.

RIP
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:19 pm

He may have come across as a bumbling old grandfather but he did have a great footballing mind and a massve passion for football.Sorry to see the guy go
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Given how long we had to brace for this, I'm still surprisingly stuck for words.

For me, Bobby's time as england boss was my teenage years, and that's when I really god my first chance to follow the world cup properly and appreciate the scale of it and the achievement. For me the England team of Mexico 86 and Italia 90 has only been matched by the Euo 96 team, and you could see the careful hand of a man who really knew the game in them. He'd handled Gazza brilliantly in the late 80s when he refused to bow to pressure to pick himk until he was ready, he got more out of players some players than I ever thought possible, and he always came across with a level of respect for his opponent that is rarely seen any more. A real gentleman and he will be missed.

Great move by ITV today - showing the 1990 semi in it's entirity, from Gazza's booking and Lineker's gesture to Paul Parker getting clean through on goal to Platt being generally anonymous to Riedle ripping us apart with his movement. Classic game, great memories of a great guy.

OK maybe not so stuck. RIP Bobby

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:21 am