SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+3
zhukov
Garibaldi
Ram Jam
7 posters

Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009

Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009 Empty Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009

Post  Ram Jam Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Last night at a WWE house show in San Diego, Edge was injured in a match with Jeff Hardy. About 5-minutes into the match, Edge went down with what looks to be a torn Achilles tendon. The injury looked to come off of him simply planting his foot wrong. The match was immediately stopped, and EMT's came to the ring to help Edge, who apologized to the fans before being taken to the back.

If the injury is a torn Achilles tendon, it will require surgery and a long recovery time. WWE is currently looking for a way to get the tag titles onto Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase. The company is also looking at footage shot for this week's Smackdown, to see if there is a spot in the footage where they can claim the injury took place, if the torn Achilles tendon is the actual injury.

Credit: Wrestingobserver.com

Bad news for Edge and Smack Down Sad
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009 Empty Re: Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009

Post  Garibaldi Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Not good at all. At least it's not the back or neck again though. And it's good to see that Edge breaking character to acknowledge the fans hasn't got him in trouble.

tbh I assumed that the tag team plan was to get them on the Hart Dynasty (hence the show jump for the titles and the team) and then have them feud with Rhodes and DiBiase and the Colons as a three way "next generation" tag team feud. Essentially a feud between new blood to reinvigorate that tag team picture the way that the arrival of the Hardys/E+C/Dudleys did a decade ago.
    zhukov
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009 Empty Re: Edge Injured; could be out for the rest of 2009

Post  zhukov Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 pm

I think its very good news tbh. The main event scene is such a closed club, with the glass ceiling as strong as it has ever been that anyone out the way is a positive
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:39 am

zhukov wrote:I think its very good news tbh. The main event scene is such a closed club, with the glass ceiling as strong as it has ever been that anyone out the way is a positive

Well Edge was supposed to be kept out of the main-event scene for a few months to heal the little injuries he's been carrying about. That's why he was paired with Jericho. Quite a shame that the alliance is to end after a week.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:53 am

While I am a big fan of Edge, I think this is good news for CM Punk. I was a bit weary about him being turned heel, when two of the three biggest heels in the company were already on SD!, but now with Edge out, he has the chance to really make his mark.
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350

Post  'Dub Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:38 am

Crappy news. I was looking forward to the pairing of Edge and Jericho and just as it happens he gets injured.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:46 am

I was thinking about this last night. I think I can see exactly how they'll play it on Smackdown:

Jericho comes out and carries on slagging off the fans for not apreciating effort in favour of the people that pander to them for support. Says they treated Edge exactly the same way they've treated him by picking Hardy over him, that's why they agreed to work together. Brings him to the ring.

Then he changes tack and attacks Edge for apologising to them when he was injured, and beats him down, saying he was just as bad as eveyone else underneath.

That way, they get Jericho huge heat, whilst also teasing a possible reason for an Edge face turn on return if they choose to go that way.

As far as a replacement partner goies, I'd like to see them either have a mini tournament (where he possibly announces at the end there's no way he could tag with the winner and picks the runner up), or a series of tag matches with various partners where he beats each one down afterwards whether they win or not, until one where the partner beats him down, at which point he then declares that's the atitude he was looking for and that's his new partner.

Either way, I'll call Morrison (or maybe Haas to give him something to do)

As far as Edge goes, this does give them some time to freshen him up. After four years or so, the "ultimate opportunist" schtick has lost a little of it's spark - you just expect some dirty trick or sudden addition to a match these days becase they've done it so much now. Since the comeback at the end of last year, all they've really done is reset the character back to pre-Vicky - same tricks, just no supportive GM any more. Now it doesn't need a huge change, but if he can come back as someone who wins a litte more on merit and earns his place in the title picture again, I think it would work well for him.

Plus, as has been said, it may well help Punk (And Hardy) establish themseves for a bit. The problem is that he is one of the last people to crack that glass ceiling. Jeff still doesn't seem to have trust - not one long term reign to date...even starting a lower-card feud with Matt whilst he was holding the belt. The real risk is that rather than letting them work a program for a while, you can guarantee they'll work in Jericho and Taker again within a few months to add an "experienced" head to the picture, which will just overshadow those two - particularly Punk - in the fans eyes.
    Bradshaw101
    Bradshaw101

Number of posts : 163
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Bradshaw101 Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 am

I dunno Zhukov, the Raw main event scene is very much a closed club, but SD does seem to do better at creating new stars (Punk has already looked a lot better in his current WHC run than he did with the belt on Raw, Morrison was very obviously being groomed to move up by Survivor Series at the latest) and without Edge there are fewer ways to give someone the rub.

In the short term, I can see Taker coming back, but they'd have to play that one VERY carefully to avoid buggering up Hardy, Punk and/or Morrison. Kane could also be used a stop-gap; the psycho-monster gimmick is usually good for at least one PPV - but that would require a face champ (presumably Hardy). Maybe even Rey - IC v World champ might be a good draw.

Beyond that, Morrison is ready to go, but there really aren't that many other options without rejigging the roster AGAIN (which I imagine they'd want to avoid). Matt still doesn't QUITE connect with the audience enough. Ziggler is doing OK, but he's not ready for the main stage yet, and while R-Truth did fine as World Champ in TNA, that was when TNA was a lot smaller.

As for the tag titles: hard to know really. The Hart Dynasty and/or Legacy are the way to go, but how do you move the titles there? Fluke win by Cryme Tyme? Really, they're the only face tag team WWE has just now, unless they use the ECW Announcer Express or something.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:35 am