SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+6
KJ
disco stu
Uptown Llama of Doom
'Dub
Crumbly Hank
Rooq
10 posters

TNA IMPACT!!!

Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

TNA IMPACT!!! Empty TNA IMPACT!!!

Post  Rooq Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 am

Even though im not a massive Grappler fan anymore, the wrestling games are always good for a laugh with a bunch of mates!

So just wondered if anyone had this and if its any good!!

It has Rhino and KEVIN NASH!!! which made me want to buy it straight away, but I thought id wait a while before I dived in and brought the game, looks pretty good, but so did Tao Feng, and that was Guff.... so anyone got it? is it any good?
    The Stig
    The Stig

Number of posts : 705
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

TNA IMPACT!!! Empty Re: TNA IMPACT!!!

Post  The Stig Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:48 am

I got it today. It's quite bad. The movesets are limited, and the AI isn't very good (for example, in 3 way Ultimate X, the computer attacks the other player rather than stop the third person from getting the X).

It's also quite awkward to do the finishers, and the attack/whip combinations are the same, which makes it quite difficult to make the match go how you want.
    Crumbly Hank

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Crumbly Hank Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Played this game today. It's certainly good fun with a few mates, but the movesets and matchmodes are very limited. As a first try it's not bad however, and there are certain aspects - character animations and reactions for example - that are done very well.

That said, I think i'll wait for SVR.
    KJ
    KJ

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post  KJ Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 am

Hey,

I was just wondering what you all thought about the TNA game? I got it for the Xbox a few weeks and by gum are the controls confusing (on occasion). I'm a bit disappointed in the storyline too...at the half way mark and nothing of note has really happened.

Good graphics and once I got over the controls the counter action seemed pretty realistic.

It's the best wrestling game I've played since the original Smackdown! game for the PS. The storylines, being able to challenge for every belt and such was awesome. The recent offerings from WWE have been pretty average imo.

Anyone else like/dislike?
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350

Post  'Dub Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:58 am

KJ wrote:
    I was just wondering what you all thought about the TNA game?

Right, that's it. That's the final straw. You're my newest enemy.
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 am

'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:

Why?
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Post  'Dub Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:42 am

KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:

Why?

You post like you created the thread! Rooq already asked what the opinions of people are of the game... there's really no need to reiterate.
    disco stu
    disco stu

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2008-09-20

Post  disco stu Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:52 am

I like this new take no prisoners Dub.

I havent played the game yet but the reviews iv seen basicly just the one at IGN said that its not bad but a rather bland game and your better off sticking with Smackdown, which is a shame as i really wanted to like this game.
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 pm

'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:

Why?

You post like you created the thread! Rooq already asked what the opinions of people are of the game... there's really no need to reiterate.

That's because I had created the thread in TNA section, then realised there was a topic in here and thus moved it. I'm not re-iterating. I believe the word you are looking for is "repeating."

Good luck with that. Smile
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Number of posts : 221

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:54 pm

[quote="KJ"]
    'Dub wrote:. I'm not re-iterating. I believe the word you are looking for is "repeating."

re·it·er·ate (r-t-rt)
    tr.v. re·it·er·at·ed, re·it·er·at·ing, re·it·er·ates
    To say or do again or repeatedly

re·peat (r-pt rpt)
    v. re·peat·ed, re·peat·ing, re·peats
    v.tr.
    1. To say again: repeat a question.
    2. To utter in duplication of another's utterance.
    3. To recite from memory.
    4. To tell to another.
    5. To do, experience, or produce again: repeat past successes.
    6. To express (oneself) in the same way or words:
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 pm

I wasn't re-iterating as he was using the word out of context.

Didn't really serve much of a purpose with that. Except from showing great inability to click the quote button successfully.

Well done.

Smile
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Post  'Dub Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:59 pm

KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:

Why?

That's because I had created the thread in TNA section, then realised there was a topic in here and thus moved it. I'm not re-iterating. I believe the word you are looking for is "repeating."

Stop fucking REPEATING then.
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:00 pm

KJ wrote:I wasn't re-iterating as he was using the word out of context.

Didn't really serve much of a purpose with that. Except from showing great inability to click the quote button successfully.

Well done.

Smile

I'm a badass at inability son!!!!
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm

'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:
    'Dub wrote:
    KJ wrote:

Why?

Stop fucking REPEATING then.

Meantime,

Back on topic....

I still think it's a reasonably good game.
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Actually this thread has been more fun than that game. Just saying.
    disco stu
    disco stu

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2008-09-20

Post  disco stu Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:09 pm

Uptown Llama of Doom wrote:Actually this thread has been more fun than that game. Just saying.

Tells me all i need to know.
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Post  'Dub Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:13 pm

KJ wrote:Meantime,

Back on topic....

I still think it's a reasonably good game.

What do you think of the game?
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:43 am

It's reasonable.

There's more game time in it than the sub-standard WWE alternatives of the last few years. Get's a bit boring after an hour but not too bad.

Storyline could have been more random.

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 am

Got it on overnight rental. Didn't like it much.

Given it was in development for 3 years it should be a lot better than it was.
    Clarkey
    Clarkey

Number of posts : 74

Post  Clarkey Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 am

Three years development time isn't as long as it would seem on paper. You have to account for everything outside of the actual development of the title itself within those three years. An example (what with the case against it of stealing ideas) is God of War, which took five years. Publishers are far too keen to push titles out onto the market for the quick buck from their investment. Plus why spend out more money on a title that is going to sell regardless anyways (SD series having reserved features and things held back that were in previous games).

TNA is a perfect example, as it has clearly got to the stage where the publishers have ordered it out with it being in good enough knick to set up for the next title, while not being as much of the finished article as it should have been. You only have to look at how many projects get cancelled now by over eager developers, whom instead would rather rush through licensed titles to see the problem. Not defending Impact in the state it was released, but during development Midway LA was actually folded into Midway San Diego around June/July with alot of staff heading off, which obviously can't have helped (although to be fair at that point the majority of work should have been done with it being released this month).

Again, not using this in anyway to defend whether the game is good or bad. But they are things to factor in when being critical. It's just the business today, and as the fat cats continue to make money, we'll continue to see it. But hey everyone will buy say Fifa this year even if the only change was the colour of the ball, so who can really blame the money men?

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 am

I know 3 years isn't that long in development terms but I've played games that were in development for far less time and had far more fun.

3 years was definately long enough to make this game better than it was Sad
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:17 am

The most annoying thing about this game though, is that features that were promised even as late as June/July just weren't in the game at all. This kinda stuff involves match types, the ability to fight in the backstage and in the crowd of the Impact zone, etc. Also, they promised we'd be able to change the match rules, which we can't and they're stuck on one setting - no DQ, no countout. The steel chair being the only weapon is a letdown, especially as the announcers have been given a script to refer to it as 'a weapon'.

Surely in June and July they knew what would be in the game and what wouldn't?
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:25 am

I agree.

There was a documentary on Bravo before one of the TNA shows that showed the development of the game, the wrestlers getting wired up to record the movements and it discussed the CRAZY! fight sequences that just aren't available.

And as I've said....the WWE offerings have been pretty poor but I found this link...what are your thoughts on this proposal?

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/913/913692p1.html
    Clarkey
    Clarkey

Number of posts : 74

Post  Clarkey Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:39 am

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did not actually know that the features touted in June/July as supposedly in the game were in the game at that stage. Publishers place so much in hands of Press officers and the like completely outside of game development that it happens all the time. Rule of thumb has always, always been to be sceptical and listen only to the words of the actual developer (check thier role too, if nameless expect the worst) and take press releases in particular with a pinch of salt. Features being promised and left out nigh on always lies in the hands of the publishers, touting things before completion and releasing press statements to build up interest and then resolved straight after release with little statements along the lines of 'will be featured in the sequel'. Builds up hype and interest, insures those pre-orders, and the backlash can be coped with with some patches and the like after release depending on sales. It's just the business, and yes it's wrong, but it has never changed.

Last edited by Clarkey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    brother of destruction
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:00 am

As much as I wanted it to be great, it's average at best. Limited movesets, limited match types, poor & linear story mode. Complete lack of CAW or even the ability to edit your storyline mode guy (PS2 version anyways). It's still fun to play & there's no camera problems (that I've found anyways). Passable, but must do better.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:27 am

KJ wrote:And as I've said....the WWE offerings have been pretty poor but I found this link...what are your thoughts on this proposal?

It sounds brilliant, to be honest. It'll be an improvement on last year's offering, and it sounds like something I can play for hours on end -- compared to the TNA game which had no replay value at all.
    KJ
    KJ

Post  KJ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:42 pm

The Stig wrote:
    KJ wrote:And as I've said....the WWE offerings have been pretty poor but I found this link...what are your thoughts on this proposal?

It sounds brilliant, to be honest. It'll be an improvement on last year's offering, and it sounds like something I can play for hours on end -- compared to the TNA game which had no replay value at all.

That's what I liked about SD! and SD!2...the ability to choose your feuds, your titles etc...loved it.

I'm looking forward to it having read that link and seen the footage.

I just hope that the commentary is better. One thing about the TNA game...the commentary isn't as offensive and intrusive as it is in RawvsSD08.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:00 pm

A guy I work with and his mate both finished 100% of story mode in less than a week. Sounds like a rental to me.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Big Dave wrote:A guy I work with and his mate both finished 100% of story mode in less than a week. Sounds like a rental to me.

I finished it in 2 days. The Stig is greater than your co-worker and co-worker's friends.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:22 pm

KJ wrote:
    The Stig wrote:

That's what I liked about SD! and SD!2...the ability to choose your feuds, your titles etc...loved it.

I'm looking forward to it having read that link and seen the footage.

I just hope that the commentary is better. One thing about the TNA game...the commentary isn't as offensive and intrusive as it is in RawvsSD08.

The commentary in Impact was super repetitive and limited at best. I almost feared performing a hurricanrana in fear of Tenay's 'Straight from Mexico, it's the Hurricanrana!'. Don West's track is equally as bad, with 'That was freeeeeakiiiiin' IIIIINSAAAANEE!!!' for a shoulder block. Atleast with 3 commentary teams on Smackdown, you do get some variation - I agree it does need to be worked on, but the TNA commentary was just useless.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm