SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

2 posters

Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers*

Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers* Empty Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers*

Post  Mtank325 Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Considering how more well-thought out the storyline is in this iteration and some major plot twists being revealed, what was your opinion of the story in GOW2?

I was actually quite involved with it; I liked Dom's determination to locate his wife, how they handled Tai, and more purpose the Locust seemed to show. However after Dom located his wife, things seemed to get kind of sloppy.

First, I was fine with how Dom handled his wife's situation, but as I listened and read more and more opinions, it does seem like somewhat of a cop-out. He violates orders to find his wife only to shoot her, despite not knowing the complications of her torture? I would've thought he would've tried a little harder than that considering all he's been through.

I also heard grumblings about how the Lambent might be humans who are in the evolution stage of evolving into Locusts, or something similar, and I'm actually not that opposed to that, and kind of like the idea. It does somewhat explain the Locust Queen.
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers* Empty Re: Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers*

Post  'Dub Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:17 pm

It's obvious they've improved on the story writing, but it's still not the greatest.

I don't know what you expected Dom to do with Maria. It was pretty obvious she was tortured beyond imagination... if she carried on living it wouldn't be worth it - see Tai's resolution as evidence. On top of that she would slow them down and probably get them killed... it's not like they're on the surface with Ravens that could pick her up.

I seem to remember the level where Sires are being made hinting that humans were being worked on to create Locust. I think the Lambent are Locusts who have been exposed to imulsion, rather than humans evolving.

As for the Locust Queen... I think she is Marcus' mother after many experiments. Adam Fenix never told Marcus the truth of her whereabouts and I get the impression that he was involved in the experiments somehow. It's possible that's why his voice was on the Locust computers and how the Queen knew about him and Marcus. I imagine the Queen has been altered so much that she is unrecognisable to her son.

I'm currently reading Aspho Fields, which is a novel set between the two games as well as including memories from Marcus' and Dom's childhood. I'm hoping that it will shed more light on these topics.
    Mtank325
    Mtank325

Number of posts : 275
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers* Empty Re: Gears of War 2, Story Discussions *Spoilers*

Post  Mtank325 Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

'Dub wrote:It's obvious they've improved on the story writing, but it's still not the greatest.

I don't know what you expected Dom to do with Maria. It was pretty obvious she was tortured beyond imagination... if she carried on living it wouldn't be worth it - see Tai's resolution as evidence. On top of that she would slow them down and probably get them killed... it's not like they're on the surface with Ravens that could pick her up.

That's what I perceived too, but for all that he seemed to rush to conclusions pretty fast. I did like the moment in the scene where she appeared normal to him, as it showed how delusional he was in wanting to find her but instead of risking trying to escape with her, which was risking so hard to find her, he offs her, which seemed alright for the flow of the game and not the story. For a game story, I don't find that much wrong with it, but it did seem like he should've done a little more in that situation that pop her.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:53 am