SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+2
Rooq
Tomc2488
6 posters

5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm

showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm Empty 5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm

Post  showstealer Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:13 am

5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm Empty Re: 5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:51 am

Daily Mail sports column? This is the same column that several years ago predicted Richard Wright would be the new David Seaman... Twisted Evil
    Tomc2488
    Tomc2488

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm Empty Re: 5 players born in the 90s who are set to take football by storm

Post  Tomc2488 Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:17 am

I'm only just getting used to seeing players younger than me playing in the Premiership etc. I was born in 1988 and last week John Bostock made his debut for Spurs and was born in 1992. Which not only makes me feel old but also suggests that I might have missed the boat to make it as a professional Exclamation

Of those five Rodwell looks decent from what I've seen. Can't say I've seen much of the others but I'm looking forward to seeing if Bostock will live up to the hype.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Post  Rooq Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:42 am

JK wrote:Daily Mail sports column? This is the same column that several years ago predicted Richard Wright would be the new David Seaman... Twisted Evil

He may well of been if Wenger had not of totally destroyed his confidence by never playing and when he played him in every round of the FA Cup then dropped him for the final was the last kick in the teeth for him.

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:59 am

Rooq wrote:
    JK wrote:Daily Mail sports column? This is the same column that several years ago predicted Richard Wright would be the new David Seaman... Twisted Evil

He may well of been if Wenger had not of totally destroyed his confidence by never playing and when he played him in every round of the FA Cup then dropped him for the final was the last kick in the teeth for him.

Two sides to every story Rooqy.

As I recall Wenger was willing to let Manninger, who had been Seaman's deputy for years, go abroad because of the faith he had in Wright. Wright promptly repaid that faith by punching the ball into his own net against Charlton (I think) in a string of various mistakes as well as constantly injuring himself, forcing Wenger to call up our 4th choice keeper for most of the season who turned out to be far more reliable than Wright.

As for never playing, as you say he played every round of the FA cup, he also only made about five fewer league apperances than Seaman and maybe two more than Taylor (it may even have been closer than that, I can't remember the exact numbers.) Also I think our CL season that year was one of our short ones but I remember him going off injured against someone so he definately got at least one European game.

Also Seaman played the final that year because a lot of people (including yours truly) thought it would be his last season as he hadn't signed a new contract, which would have made the cup final his final appearance for Arsenal which Wenger, for some shocking reason, felt he deserved Wink . He only signed an extension after the World Cup.

Think Wenger would have probably played Wright more if he'd stayed fit and not been rubbish when given the chance.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:14 am

Confidence breeds confidence

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am

But having an crocked fuck-up machine in goal doesn't inspire confidence. As a Man Utd fan you should understand. How much did you pay for Taibi?

Anyway Wright was offered a chance to be Seaman's deputy for another year and try to break into the first team but he went off to Everton, where if I recall correctly he spent most of the season crocked and/or deputising Nigel Martyn.

Can't just blame Wenger.
    MarkFromGoldenplec
    MarkFromGoldenplec

Number of posts : 132
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  MarkFromGoldenplec Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:47 am

3.5 million for Tiabi who did really well in Italy before and after.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 am

£3.5 million for one of the highest rated Italian keepers of the time was a snip and he played a blinder againt Liverpool, unfortunatly he followed that up with the Southampton game and the 5-0 drubbing to Chelsea Mad

In his defence though he was never a crock!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:18 am

[quote="JK"][quote="Rooq"]
    JK wrote:Wright promptly repaid that faith by punching the ball into his own net against Charlton (I think)
    Not exactly, the event in question is on the video on my signature, which everyone should watch! Very Happy

Post  Guest Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:05 am

Ok sorry. To Charlton fans it was a quality arial headed challenge, to everyone else it was a goalkeeping howler of the first order. Laughing

And whatever you call it it was still an utterly twatish mistake that a top flight keeper should not be making.

And he got lobbed in the same match! Forgot all about that! Laughing
    brother of destruction
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  brother of destruction Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 am

[quote="ShowStealer"][quote="JK"]
    Rooq wrote:
    JK wrote:Wright promptly repaid that faith by punching the ball into his own net against Charlton (I think)
    Not exactly, the event in question is on the video on my signature, which everyone should watch! Very Happy

Was worth watching that just to see Blunderland losing the playoff final again & "hard man" Kevin Ball missing the penalty. Very Happy
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 am

[quote="brother of destruction"][quote="ShowStealer"]
    JK wrote:
    Rooq wrote:

Was worth watching that just to see Blunderland losing the playoff final again & "hard man" Kevin Ball missing the penalty. Very Happy

It was Michael Grey Wink

I missed the final as I was on a German exchange trip, 97/98 was the season where I really got in to away games, include the infamous singing in the rain at Swindon!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 pm