SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

3 posters

The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips

Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips Empty The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:56 pm

I propose a Music Trivia thread.....where I shall ask a number of music knowledge questions and then everyone who wants to play will pm the answers. There shall be a set deadline. Then whoever wins gets to be the quiz master for the next game and ask the questions.

This is the first set of questions. Please PM me the answers so that the others do not steal your answers.

1. In what year did these songs come out? "Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio, Buddy Holly by Weezer, Hook by Blue's Traveler, and Roll to Me by Del Amitri"
    2. Where did Duran Duran get their name?
    3. What is the world's best-selling music instrument?
    4. What was U2 originally known as?
    5. What album stayed on the top 200 Billboard charts for 741 weeks! That is 14 years.
    6. "Mr. Mojo Risin" is an anagram for what?
    7. What type of apple was used as the symbol for the Beatles' Apple Records label
    8. What or Who was the Gregorian chant was named after?
    9. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Kurt Cobain all died at the same age, what was it?
    10. Who did Paul McCartney write the song "Hey Jude" for?
    11. The American Film Institute named composer John Williams' score for what film as the greatest film score of all time?
    12. Name three films Elvis Costello has appeared in.
    13. What song are these lyrics from? "She packed my bags last night pre-flight,Zero hour nine a.m.,And i'm gonna be high as a kite by then"
    14. Ian Astbury is the singer for what band?
    15. Who is Farrokh Bulsara better known as?
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips Empty Re: The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips

Post  Garibaldi Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:31 am

Sent mine - guesses and all
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips Empty Re: The Caustic Music Trivia Thead with chips

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm

I only have 3 players? this does not seem right!! i will hold out for at least a minimum of 2 more players.
    ThatChumpStain
    ThatChumpStain

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post  ThatChumpStain Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 pm

I'll play too but it's nearly 3am here so I'll fill it in when I wake up.
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:10 am

You lot got til i get home from work tonight at 6. I'll post the results and the answers and the winner will post the next one!!!!
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 am

Here are the answers!!!

1. In what year did these songs come out? "Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio, Buddy Holly by Weezer, Hook by Blue's Traveler, and Roll to Me by Del Amitri"
    2. Where did Duran Duran get their name?
    The film "Barbarella"
    3. What is the world's best-selling music instrument?
    The Harmonica
    4. What was U2 originally known as?
    Feedback
    5. What album stayed on the top 200 Billboard charts for 741 weeks! That is 14 years.
    Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"
    6. "Mr. Mojo Risin" is an anagram for what?
    Jim Morrison
    7. What type of apple was used as the symbol for the Beatles' Apple Records label?
    A Granny Smith
    8. What or Who was the Gregorian chant was named after?
    Pope Gregory I
    9. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Kurt Cobain all died at the same age, what was it?
    10. Who did Paul McCartney write the song "Hey Jude" for?
    Julian Lennon
    11. The American Film Institute named composer John Williams' score for what film as the greatest film score of all time?
    Star Wars
    12. Name three films Elvis Costello has appeared in.
    Answer varies
    13. What song are these lyrics from? "She packed my bags last night pre-flight,Zero hour nine a.m.,And i'm gonna be high as a kite by then"
    "Rocket Man"
    14. Ian Astbury is the singer for what band?
    The Cult
    15. Who is Farrokh Bulsara better known as?
    Freddy Mercury

Our four players were:
    Dr Hellwig PhD
    Garibaldi
    JK
    and Kabuki Joe

So who won? Let's see!!!

Kabuki Joe got 7 right
    Garibaldi got 9
    Dr Hellwig PhD got 10
    and JK wins it with 11 points.

(naming three movies featuring Elvis Costello was only worth one point and you had to name 3 films)

So JK can come up with the next one(which means I can play too) hopefully more people will attempt it this time!!!!

Post  Guest Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:43 am

Expect my questions up tonight.

Post  Guest Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:38 am

My bad. Shit happened. Anyway, here are my questions (based around my favourite bands and artists). They follow the Open University Format. Get the starter question right for 2 points, then each bonus is worth 1. Get the starter wrong and you get no points for the others. Five starters, 15 bonuses. At the end there are 5 general knowledge questions worth 1 point each. Total points available is 30. Good luck.

Category 1: U2

Starter: Which member of U2 was it who posted the advert which brought the band together?

(a) Coming from the UK number one Album "War", which song was U2's first major hit outside of the UK, peaking at number 10 in 1983?
    (b) Who is Pride (in the name of love) dedicated to?
    (c) Who is the forgotten fifth founding member of the band? As a hint, he's The Edge's brother.

Category 2: Queen

Starter: Everyone knows the song Bohemian Rhapsody, but do you know which triple platinum album did it came from?

(a) Queen prided themselves on never using synthesisers until which album?
    (b) During the Works tour in 1984, Queen controversially played dates in which country?
    (c) Queen's first name was "Smile" but only two members of the final foursome were members of this band. Who were they?

Category 3: Bon Jovi

Starter: Bon Jovi proudly hail from which American state?

(a) Who is Bon Jovi's lead guitarist?
    (b) Jon Bon Jovi is the owner of which Arena football team?
    (c) What is the correct spelling of Jon Bon Jovi?

Category 4: Elton John

Starter: Who is Elton John's long time (songwriting!!!) partner?

(a) The second version of Candle in the Wind was dedicated to Princess Diana, but who was the first version dedicated to?
    (b) Elton John played "Don't let the Sun Go Down on Me" at Live Aid, but who sung the lyrics in his place?
    (c) Elton John has no children, but has a number of celebrity godchildren. Name one of them.

Category 5: Michael Jackson

Starter: Featuring the hit "Don't stop till you get enough." what was Michael Jackson's first solo album?

(a) What is the connection between Michael Jackson and US Patent No. 5,255,452?
    (b) Which of Michael Jackson's music videos was directed by Oscar winning movie director Martin Scorsese?
    (c) Michael Jackson's 3rd greatest hits album (Number Ones) had different tracks on it in different countries, but always the same number of them. What number is that?

General knowledge

1. Mika released the hit "Grace Kelly" as a criticism of the attitudes of which famous manager who had insulted him?
    2. Which male solo artists holds the record for the most number of Grammys won (22 excluding his lifetime acheivement award/)
    3. The famous youtube vid "Numa Numa" samples which song by Moldovan band O-Zone?
    4. "The First Cut is the deepest" has been covered four times. Who originally sung it it?
    5. Maths time! The total number of Van Halen members (past and present) minus the original number of Take That members

Answers in by next Sunday Smile

Post  Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 am

Thank you Kabukijoe for your quick response Smile

Post  Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Got responses from Hellwig and Llama. Come on other players!

Chumpy, Gari, you in?

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:53 am

Tomorrow's the last chance. Only three players so far. Come on people! Evil or Very Mad

Post  Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Ok I will leave this running until the end of today, then I'll post the answers. Hopefully we'll get at least one more player.

Post  Guest Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Well there were no more participants. Our final entrants were Doc Hellwig, Llama and Kabukijoe.

First, the answers:

Category 1: U2

Starter: Which member of U2 was it who posted the advert which brought the band together?
    Larry Mullen Jnr.
    (a) Coming from the UK number one Album "War", which song was U2's first major hit outside of the UK, peaking at number 10 in 1983? New Years Day
    (b) Who is Pride (in the name of love) dedicated to? Martin Luther King Jnr.
    (c) Who is the forgotten fifth founding member of the band? As a hint, he's The Edge's brother. Dik Evans

Category 2: Queen

Starter: Everyone knows the song Bohemian Rhapsody, but do you know which triple platinum album did it came from?
    A Night at the Opera
    (a) Queen prided themselves on never using synthesisers until which album? The Game
    (b) During the Works tour in 1984, Queen controversially played dates in which country? South Africa
    (c) Queen's first name was "Smile" but only two members of the final foursome were members of this band. Who were they? Brian May and Roger Taylor

Category 3: Bon Jovi

Starter: Bon Jovi proudly hail from which American state?
    New Jersey
    (a) Who is Bon Jovi's lead guitarist? Richie Sambora
    (b) Jon Bon Jovi is the owner of which Arena football team? Philadelphia Soul
    (c) What is the correct spelling of Jon Bon Jovi? Jon Bongiovi

Category 4: Elton John

Starter: Who is Elton John's long time (songwriting!!!) partner?
    Bernie Taupin
    (a) The second version of Candle in the Wind was dedicated to Princess Diana, but who was the first version dedicated to? Marylin Munroe
    (b) Elton John played "Don't let the Sun Go Down on Me" at Live Aid, but who sung the lyrics in his place? George Michael
    (c) Elton John has no children, but has a number of celebrity godchildren. Name one of them. Multiple Answers, but you could have had Liz Hurley's son, Brooklyn and Romeo Beckham or Sean Ono Lennon among others

Category 5: Michael Jackson

Starter: Featuring the hit "Don't stop till you get enough." what was Michael Jackson's first solo album?
    Off the wall
    (a) What is the connection between Michael Jackson and US Patent No. 5,255,452? It's the design for the shoe/boot that allows the anti-gravity lean in the Smooth Criminal video (yeah, that one was a bit harsh I know)
    (b) Which of Michael Jackson's music videos was directed by Oscar winning movie director Martin Scorsese? Bad
    (c) Michael Jackson's 3rd greatest hits album (Number Ones) had different tracks on it in different countries, but always the same number of them. What number is that? Eighteen

General knowledge

1. Mika released the hit "Grace Kelly" as a criticism of the attitudes of which famous manager who had insulted him? Simon Cowell
    2. Which male solo artists holds the record for the most number of Grammys won (22 excluding his lifetime acheivement award) Stevie Wonder
    3. The famous youtube vid "Numa Numa" samples which song by Moldovan band O-Zone? Dragostea din tei
    4. "The First Cut is the deepest" has been covered four times. Who originally sung it it? Cat Stevens
    5. Maths time! The total number of Van Halen members (past and present) minus the original number of Take That members
    9 - 5 = 4

So, how did you all do? Remember that you have to get the starter right to score any points for the other questions in that group. Starters are worth 2, bonuses are worth 1 each, and the general knowledge questions were also worth 2.

Uptown Llama of Doom you scored.............................................. 10

Kabukijoe you scored...................................... 16!

Hellwig you scored............................... 17!

So Hellwig is this quizes winner and has the right to set the next set of questions should he so choose!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:40 am