SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+22
MK
Mr Torrie Wilson
The Phenom
Sweatsock
Rooq
chr1s
showstealer
Outlaw2x4
Hector_Nicols_Accordian
Shane McMahon
PeteRoe
MarkFromGoldenplec
IOV
The Stig
The Ayatollah
Dr Hellwig PhD
The Real BIG BOSS MAN
zhukov
Bradshaw101
Ram Jam
'Dub
Garibaldi
26 posters

Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4

The Stig
    The Stig

Number of posts : 705
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4 - Page 4 Empty Re: Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4

Post  The Stig Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:
    zhukov wrote:anyone being negative about this obviously didn't watch the complete and utter clusterfuck that was 2002/2003, because quite frankly, this show shit over anything they did in that period

Wrestlemania 19? scratch Rock vs Austin, Michaels vs Jericho and Angle vs Lesnar? You need to lay off the crackpipe if you think this years was a better show.

Also, Summerslam 2002 (Rey vs Angle, Benoit vs RVD, HHH vs HBK, Rock vs Lesnar, Edge vs Eddie, Jericho vs Flair) and Survivor Series 2002 (Victoria vs Trish, Los Guerreros vs Benoit/Angle vs Edge/Rey, and the first Elimination Chamber) were also amazing shows, with a notable mention to Vengeance 2003 (Undertaker vs Cena, Eddie vs Benoit, Angle vs Lesnar vs Big Show, World's Greatest Tag Team vs Mysterio/Kidman).
    zhukov
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4 - Page 4 Empty Re: Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4

Post  zhukov Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 am

Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:
    zhukov wrote:anyone being negative about this obviously didn't watch the complete and utter clusterfuck that was 2002/2003, because quite frankly, this show shit over anything they did in that period

Wrestlemania 19? scratch Rock vs Austin, Michaels vs Jericho and Angle vs Lesnar? You need to lay off the crackpipe if you think this years was a better show.

a main event that will be remember for a bodge job (and I will use that, because apparantly it is more than acceptable to slag the fuck out of MITB for a couple of blown spots that have no significance, but it is ok to gloss over a show closing bodge of epic proportions that will be the only thing people ever remember from this show)

Wrestlemania 19 wasn't a bad show by any means, but good God it was dull, much like Wrestlemania 20 the next year, a few good/great matches surrounded by complete and utter boredom does not work at Wrestlemania.

And a fucking dead crowd (yes the crowd this year was dead for the WWE title match)

Undertaker vs HBK is miles better than anything on 19

Hardy vs Rey was a massive disappointment (especially given their Smackdown main event was crap)

the Undertaker fiasco was typical biker undertaker crap

the tag title match was a rush job

HHH vs Booker T was awful (probably worse than the HHH match this year)

Austin Rock was pretty decent, but was the worst match between the two

it is great to pick at things, but in 2002 and 2003 the product was absolutely crap, bar the in ring work of give or take the Smackdown 6, and a few entertaining people on the roster (Booker/ Goldust, Cena, Matt Hardy) there was really no reason to watch

They got lucky with a great Summerslam 2002 (helped by the pairings of the Smackdown 6) and there was scattered good/great matches on the shit PPVS (with Vengeance 2003 having enough other harmless stuff to make it a very good show)
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 302
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 am

To criticise that period based on the in-ring product is insane. The company was loaded with good to great workers during that period, moreso than they are now. The overall product was shit because the creative direction was shit. Still is.

If you were bored by Wrestlemania 19 then I don't know what to say to you. I don't see how you couldn't have been more bored by this years event. There was more of a reason to watch in 2002 than there is now imo.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  The Phenom Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:38 am

Lackluster show overall but Taker/Michaels was great. Easily the best non gimmick match of the last 8 WM's.

As for this debate going on. I'm in agreement that WM IX is the worst. Just a crap event with nothing truly memorable other than Bobby Heenan riding a camel backwards.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664

Post  Outlaw2x4 Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 am

The Phenom wrote:Lackluster show overall but Taker/Michaels was great. Easily the best non gimmick match of the last 8 WM's.

As for this debate going on. I'm in agreement that WM IX is the worst. Just a crap event with nothing truly memorable other than Bobby Heenan riding a camel backwards.

I dont think it was better than Angle and Michaels from 21. That was non gimmick too.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    The Phenom wrote:Lackluster show overall but Taker/Michaels was great. Easily the best non gimmick match of the last 8 WM's.

I dont think it was better than Angle and Michaels from 21. That was non gimmick too.

Thats the good thing about opinions, everybody has one
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719

Post  The Ayatollah Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:26 am

Personally I disliked the first 2 mania's, mind you WM9 was pretty shite so I'll go with that! I really liked WM19.

This years?? HBK-Taker was outstanding, Hardy vs Hardy was solid, MITB bar a couple of botches was its usual self (still cant understand having Mark Henry in there), diva battle royal was a joke..fucking pointless, JBL v Rey...while I'm glad Rey won it deserved longer than 21 seconds. The 1 on 3 match was pants up until Steamboat and Jericho..the Dragon can still go! Edge v Cena v Show wasnt too bad, but I found 3H vs Orton a disappointment, should have went longer and not closed out the show.

The thing that really irked me about WM25 was having to sit through 10+ minutes of Kid fucking Rock Evil or Very Mad would rather have seen Bourne v Swagger for the ECW belt. Also was pissed off at not getting to see Morrison n Miz v The Colons

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:57 am

"Pretty shite" is the most generous description of Mania 9 I've ever heard! Laughing
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:27 am

As I suspected, utter shite apart from HBK v Undertaker. I was gobsmacked when HBK kicked out of the first tombstone.

PS: Matt and Jeff have absolutely ZERO chemistry when wrestling against each other.
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:23 am

Anyone notice Piper swearing one after the other?
    Same with Matt, he didn't swear but he communicated with Jeff so loud that the cameras picked it up a little.
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:27 am

Terry Silver wrote:
    PS: Matt and Jeff have absolutely ZERO chemistry when wrestling against each other.

Well to be fair it's not like they've ever feuded before so how could anyone have known? It's like Triple H now being married to Stephanie and winning the World Title or trying to get Big Show or Mark Henry over or Shelton Benjamin in a ladder match or even Undertaker winning a match at Wrestlemania - you've got to keep trying new things in this business, you know?
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:11 am

Well they did have a feud, the match at Vengeance 01 was utter shit.
    'Dub
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350

Post  'Dub Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 am

Amazing.
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:37 am

Damn, there's no emoticon that's smashing it's head into a wall.
    IOV
    IOV

Number of posts : 998

Post  IOV Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:15 am

lol!

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 am

Oh dear... scratch
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238

Post  The Phenom Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:24 am

Here you go

Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4 - Page 4 1892_mad_smiley_banging_head_against_a_brick_wall
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:48 pm

And now we officially have that smilie! cool v
    Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:33 am

The show wasn't that great, but not horrible. I might've graded The Legends vs. Jericho a bit high, myself, but I loved it. The only part I didn't like was Snuka in the match, but Piper didn't look bad, he was just obviously out of shape and was winded within 2 minutes. But he didn't look that bad.

But basically, I think that over half the matches broke around 3 stars, for me, with HBK/Undertaker getting near 5. To me, that's pretty successful and a good enough show. It's certainly better than some Manias, based on the HBK/Taker match alone. But the rest of the show was pretty good, I enjoyed it.
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:34 pm

I just went back and watched Taker vs. HBK for the first time since WM. I'm still floored by how great of a match that was. That is the sort of stuff that got me into wrestling, matches like that. Pretty unbelievable stuff.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Let's see if we can revive an old tradition...

Anyone on?

Tag match to kick off - and Carlos and Hugo are back...swear haven't seen (orat least noticed) them in ages!
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Well that was short, sweet and a remindser why starting with the MITB is a better idea.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Cody's old music! Thought they'd wiped the disc

Shows who the man who will "embody" Legacy will be, like Orton using Evolution's music during his time with them or Jeff being the one who kept the spirit of Team Extreme for so long
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Aaand that's legacy buried, plus Cody out for a while to help push Ted solo.

Until the back end of this match it's been rather flat from the crowd - this is why MITB works best as an opener.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Oh well, was worth a try...
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Hearing Bret's electric guitar gave me shivers.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Agreed - never thought you'd hear it again at WM.

Not a great "match", but a necessity, and I think the length may have been part of Vince's "penance" rather than a quick humiliation. It was about time they had him interact with the Hart dynasty, and once again you're rmeinded just how big DHS actually is. Natalya's quite stocky, but looks like Kelly next to him.

And I loved the moment at the end when they were celebrating. She went straight to Bret and, rather than a victory hug, the look on her face as she hugged "uncle Bret" from behind just showed, I think, how much they knew it meant to him to finally close the chapter, how much it meant to the family, both for themselves and for seeing Bret happy, and how glad they were he got to do that one last time and without injury.

I have to congratulate Vince for one piece of tact ion the whole thing, though. Thinking back over the whoile angle, I don't remember a single reference to Owen. It would have been easy to have mentioned him a few times, even just in passing, or as a HOF carrot like Stu, and explain it away as acknowledging Owen's role in the company, but I think he finally learnt from Eddie Guerrero that you can overdo that, and that not mentioning it at all means not that you're ignoring them, but that they aren't simply a part of someone else's story, no matter how big a part.

And OOH, sexton hardcastle reference! Nice!
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Best match of the night so far right there - been waiting for that one again since about 2002 and didn't disappoint

The more I think about it, 10 men in a MITB is at least 2 too many, maybe 4...and those 4 would have included the winer his year. That's not good.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm not proud I called the exact result of that one.

Hope they don't try to make something out of the Eddie gesture though as it came across as a sincere salute to her late husband there.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Looks like Cena was actually hurt after Batista countered the Attitude Adjustment. It looked like Batista didn't really know what to do.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am