SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Film's you've seen today

Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Re: Film's you've seen today

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon May 16, 2011 7:01 am

Big Dave wrote:
    MK wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:Black Swan - dull as shit in every way, even lesbian action between portman and kunis could not save this

The Way Back - not totally true to the excellent book but a good film

Thor - not the best of the marvel films but entertaining enough

Wow. I've never heard someone describe Black Swan as "dull", even if they didn't like it. I loved it. Perfectly directed by Aranofsky (creating a real sense of tension and urgency) and a real breakout performance by Portman, not to mention Kunis being pretty great herself. I thought it, along with King's Speech and Social Network, were the best three films of 2010.

There was no sense of urgency it was obvious from the offset how it was going to end and for a not overly long film it took its bloody time getting there.

I'm a fan of the film but I agee with you in that the ending is essentially given away in the opening ten minutes. It really annoyed me. I knew nothing about Swan Lake so the description of how it ended was basically a spoiler for me.
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Hangover 2 Neither especially good or bad, a lot if it is funnier afterwards
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Big Dave wrote:Hangover 2 Neither especially good or bad, a lot if it is funnier afterwards

Agreed

Ram Jam

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post  Ram Jam on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:40 pm

X-Men: First Class: Very good. Everyone had a chance to shine, and I thought McAvoy and Fassbender were fantastic. Better than the last 2 X-Men installments by far.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:04 am

Ram Jam wrote:X-Men: First Class: Very good. Everyone had a chance to shine, and I thought McAvoy and Fassbender were fantastic. Better than the last 2 X-Men installments by far.

I agree, Kevin Bacon was parhaps bordering on the pantomime at times.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 am

Ram Jam wrote:X-Men: First Class: Very good. Everyone had a chance to shine, and I thought McAvoy and Fassbender were fantastic. Better than the last 2 X-Men installments by far.

Brilliant film. Add Thor a few weeks back and Green Lantern next week and it's been a really good month for superhero movies.

And that's before you consider Cap, which looks DAMN goas well!

Post  Big Dave on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:20 am

Garibaldi wrote:

Brilliant film. Add Thor a few weeks back and Green Lantern next week and it's been a really good month for superhero movies.

I don't know anything about Green Lantern, but I thought the trailor made the film look a bit shit.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 am

No Strings Attached - not bad as romcoms go,

Paul - if it wasn't frost/pegg it would get a good but it has to be downgraded to not bad as its no shaun of the dead or hot fuzz. I think part of the problem is that the attempt to blend the pegg/frost style of comedy with hadder/rogens Judd Aptow style sort of fails.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Big Dave wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:

I don't know anything about Green Lantern, but I thought the trailor made the film look a bit shit.

You had to jinx it. More Superhero-film-by-the-numbers than F4. very disappointing. roll on Cap!

Post  Big Dave on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Garibaldi wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:

You had to jinx it. More Superhero-film-by-the-numbers than F4. very disappointing. roll on Cap!

I probably shouldn't admit this but I like both F4 films and am rather angry about the rumored re-boot.
    Rooq

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 am

Saw Senna last week, was an amazing movie, worth watching even if your not a F1 fan, probably the best movie I will see this year.

See Transformers Dark of the Moon this week, as much as I love Transformers, got a feeling this is going to suck again... as long as Prime doesnt kill everything again with ease and kill megatron with one arm tied behind his back just to show how amazing he is again, it may be alright.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 am

Rooq wrote:Saw Senna last week, was an amazing movie, worth watching even if your not a F1 fan, probably the best movie I will see this year.

See Transformers Dark of the Moon this week, as much as I love Transformers, got a feeling this is going to suck again... as long as Prime doesnt kill everything again with ease and kill megatron with one arm tied behind his back just to show how amazing he is again, it may be alright.

Spoiler:
    Your one arm comment is hilariously accurate!

Transformers 3 - much better than two, the last hour is awesum but the Fox replacement must never be allowed to act again, in anything, not even Hollyoaks.
    Rooq

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:33 am

Big Dave wrote:
    Rooq wrote:Saw Senna last week, was an amazing movie, worth watching even if your not a F1 fan, probably the best movie I will see this year.

Spoiler:
    Your one arm comment is hilariously accurate!

Transformers 3 - much better than two, the last hour is awesum but the Fox replacement must never be allowed to act again, in anything, not even Hollyoaks.

Lol that was a bit weird and freaky!!! Bit of a bummer but oh well.

Overall movie was really good and enjoyed it!! Was a nice twist which I didnt see coming, even though most say they did! but hey! is good to be Naive.

Good film and has helped me forget the dross that was Revenge Of The Fallen
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Master & Commander: Far Side of The World - I enjoyed this the first time but having read all 20 novels it was strange watching it again, some odd casting, the guy played by one of the hobbits is in the books a 6ft bare knuckle boxer. Surprised
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 am

Big Dave wrote:Master & Commander: Far Side of The World - I enjoyed this the first time but having read all 20 novels it was strange watching it again, some odd casting, the guy played by one of the hobbits is in the books a 6ft bare knuckle boxer. Surprised

I love that film, I think its tremendously underrated. Peter Weir is a awesome filmmaker. I recommend checking out his other work.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:04 am

Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:Master & Commander: Far Side of The World - I enjoyed this the first time but having read all 20 novels it was strange watching it again, some odd casting, the guy played by one of the hobbits is in the books a 6ft bare knuckle boxer. Surprised

I love that film, I think its tremendously underrated. Peter Weir is a awesome filmmaker. I recommend checking out his other work.

Its a shame he ruled out M&C 2, apparantly theres a script and Crowe is keen to do it. I saw The Way Back a while ago which is also excellent and also based on a very good book.
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:25 am

Big Dave wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:

Its a shame he ruled out M&C 2, apparantly theres a script and Crowe is keen to do it. I saw The Way Back a while ago which is also excellent and also based on a very good book.

Well if you like those two then you should absolutley look at his earlier work. He's quite famous for Witness and The Truman Show, but I also would suggest looking at Fearless and especially Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is one of my all time favourites.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:

Well if you like those two then you should absolutley look at his earlier work. He's quite famous for Witness and The Truman Show, but I also would suggest looking at Fearless and especially Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is one of my all time favourites.

I've seen the Truman Show, I enjoyed that.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am

The Eagle - what a load of shit.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Captain America - good but at the same time it suffered the same problem as Thor, they were so busy building towards The Avengers that they forgot to make a complete film.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Big Dave wrote:Captain America - good but at the same time it suffered the same problem as Thor, they were so busy building towards The Avengers that they forgot to make a complete film.

That was my one qualm - it seemed to rush the ending. Not in terms of movie length, but just that because they'd had the opening scene it seemed to rush the "crash and resurrection" and the miss a definitive ending - we never saw his reaction to the 21st century because they'll probably use up time better spent on action in the Avengers on it.

But otherwise a class film - note perfect in most things. Unlike most superhero movies since Superman, there ws definite character development, and not just in Rogers but, through TLJ as Phillips, in how others saw him as well.

I also loved the unspoken suggestion that the Cube may possibly have been reverse engineered into the ARC technology - the sound effect of the weapons matching the IM repulsors, the column of energy when released unfettered, the similar energy signature...plus you know Stark Snr would never have left something like that unexamined. The link to Asgard/Odin was also a good way to explain Loki's interest and why Shield would get a Norse history expert to examine it in Thor.

My one query though is that, if he was frozen 70 years, how old is Tony Stark? Even two generations is pushing it a little.

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post  ThatChumpStain on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Went to Germany to see my girlfriend who was studying out there. "Encouraged" me to watch the Harry Potter films as I'd avoided them all and, surprisingly, enjoyed them! The latter ones are much better than the early ones but the narrative of them all play out in the final one. When the inevitable box-set comes out when Deathly Hallows Part 2 is released I may have to invest.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Garibaldi wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:Captain America - good but at the same time it suffered the same problem as Thor, they were so busy building towards The Avengers that they forgot to make a complete film.

That was my one qualm - it seemed to rush the ending. Not in terms of movie length, but just that because they'd had the opening scene it seemed to rush the "crash and resurrection" and the miss a definitive ending - we never saw his reaction to the 21st century because they'll probably use up time better spent on action in the Avengers on it.

But otherwise a class film - note perfect in most things. Unlike most superhero movies since Superman, there ws definite character development, and not just in Rogers but, through TLJ as Phillips, in how others saw him as well.

I also loved the unspoken suggestion that the Cube may possibly have been reverse engineered into the ARC technology - the sound effect of the weapons matching the IM repulsors, the column of energy when released unfettered, the similar energy signature...plus you know Stark Snr would never have left something like that unexamined. The link to Asgard/Odin was also a good way to explain Loki's interest and why Shield would get a Norse history expert to examine it in Thor.

My one query though is that, if he was frozen 70 years, how old is Tony Stark? Even two generations is pushing it a little.

I was suprised by the death on the train, while I want more of Captain America I don't want The Avengers to be a Captain America film with the Avengers tagged on.

A guy I work with reckons Samual L Jackson is signed up to a 9 deal film for marvel which would thus be:

Iron Man 1 & 2
    Thor
    Captain America
    The Avengers
    Black Widow & The Nick Fury film? (Are these two even happening??)

Which would leave room for an Avengers trilogy.
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 pm

The guy you work with would be right there Dave, Sam Jackson IS signed to a nine film deal to play Nick Fury, but I reckon you can add Iron Man 3 to that list as well as I'm pretty sure they'll be making that one not too long after The Avengers.
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 352
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 am

The Social Network
    Quite good. Could have done with another half an hour.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:21 am

Shane McMahon wrote:The Social Network
    Quite good. Could have done with another half an hour.

Its very rare that I wish a film had been longer but I agree with this, I think there was a few loose ends. Possibly because they don't have the information because of court settlement clauses.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 pm

KabukiJoe wrote:The guy you work with would be right there Dave, Sam Jackson IS signed to a nine film deal to play Nick Fury, but I reckon you can add Iron Man 3 to that list as well as I'm pretty sure they'll be making that one not too long after The Avengers.

The comments I've heard suggest hat the Avengers movie IS Iron Man 3 in some aspects.

I'd still think that Ant Man will be one of them....when Edgar Wright eventually makes it.

Post  Big Dave on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Limitless - not really sure what I think, which I guess means it wasn't very good.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Super- excellent, very funny I recommend it to everyone.

Next Three Days - not bad, but not up to the hype.
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I've been to the cinema a few times this month and saw:

Captain America- I liked it but thought the ending could have been fleshed out a bit more, just seemed a bit rushed.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes- I highly recommend it

Super 8- I'd heard a few bad reports about this but I really enjoyed it. It had a bit of a Goonies/ET vibe to it and I thought it would be a good film for a family to watch right up until the stoner says "fuck" for no real reason.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:23 am