SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Official Premiership Thread

Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Re: Official Premiership Thread

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 am

MK wrote:http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5654048/liverpool-agrees-sale-boston-red-sox-owners-pending-resolution-board-dispute

As much as I was enjoying seeing the Reds struggle this year, I think this is the best possible thing for them. Obviously everyone will make a fuss over this because it's just another case of Yanks taking over the club. But these guys took over the Red Sox in 02, a team with so much history, and two years later had brought them their first World Series ring since 1918. They respect the tradition and history of the club, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think there are top 4 finishes again in the near future for Liverpool.

Is there a chance though that these owners will only pour what money they have into American Sports and not into Liverpool, which is realy the biggest fear about American owners, as well as them underestimating how much money it really costs to attain silverware.
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:
    MK wrote:http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5654048/liverpool-agrees-sale-boston-red-sox-owners-pending-resolution-board-dispute

As much as I was enjoying seeing the Reds struggle this year, I think this is the best possible thing for them. Obviously everyone will make a fuss over this because it's just another case of Yanks taking over the club. But these guys took over the Red Sox in 02, a team with so much history, and two years later had brought them their first World Series ring since 1918. They respect the tradition and history of the club, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think there are top 4 finishes again in the near future for Liverpool.

Is there a chance though that these owners will only pour what money they have into American Sports and not into Liverpool, which is realy the biggest fear about American owners, as well as them underestimating how much money it really costs to attain silverware.

These guys are regarded as some of the best owners in baseball. They took a franchise that had always been under-achievers and have turned them into contenders for the last 8 seasons, without causing them to go bankrupt or sacrifice anything. They respect the tradition of the Red Sox, too. Instead of building an entire new stadium (which would've surely cost a fortune), they renovated and improved Fenway, sticking with tradition. I feel they'll do the same with Anfield.

I think it'll be a great thing for the club.
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:51 am

Well the stupidest saga in football (this week anyway) has ended and Rooney has signed a 5 year contract. Part of me is thinking it was all a stupid ploy to get a better contract that completely backfired on him but in the back of my head I keep think Ronaldo signed a contract the year before joining Madrid and so did Beckham.

Hoping this isnt the case here though, although he has the subtlety of a three legged bull, blindfolded in a green house the guy is quality and is the heartbeat of the United team.
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Simple maths

Rooney (cunt) + man u (cunts) = cunt overload!

I've drank 3 bottles of wine, this is not my finesist work, don'rt judge me northern men can drink wine!
    IOV

Post  IOV on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Big Dave wrote:Simple maths

I've drank 3 bottles of wine, this is not my finesist work, don'rt judge me northern men can drink wine!

But not very well it would seem Laughing
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:18 am

Big Dave wrote:Simple maths

I assume it was all in the pursuit of impresing some PYT with how expensive the bottles were, so I'll let you off.

Post  IOV on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Slightly controversial second for United today Very Happy
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 pm

Agreed the referee didn't blow so there was nothing to prevent it, but Nani:

1. Dived
    2. Handled the ball deliberately on landing
    3. looked at the ref to see if he could play on

The first was bad and reasonably common, the second was the standard response of the petulent when they've not got the foul they wanted. But Jesus, everything from then until he kicked the ball again played out as if a free kick had been given.

But the worst part was the final bit - it means Nani KNEW that he shopuldn't really do it. It brought the whole debate 10-15 years ago about fairplay and letter of the law v spirit of the law back to the fore. Yes he could do it but it will be a LONG time before he hears the end of this - spoilt what was was a good close game that neither team had been able to really take control of for more than a few minutes at a time.

I guarantee you two things though:

1. Cklattenburg's gag from the FA means he's being carpeted and relegated for a while
    2. He never refs a Spurs v Man Utd gamne again. twice in 5 years he's made a disgusting call in the closing minutes in Man Utds favour. Should be taken out and forced to stand in the goalmouth during the next month's sessions of shooting practice for Chelsea as punishment.

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 am

I want to know what sort of advantage did Clattenburg think he was giving Spurs? Suspect

Gomis should have played to the whistle, Nani had every right to take advantage of the strange situation.

If you think those refs are bad, you should see what we have to put up with in the lower leagues! wall wall Think Stewart Atwell + Rob Styles! Shocked
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:27 am

The crazy thing is there were three cases for penalising Nani - the dive, the handbll an the reaction to Goes toucing him as he went past (AKA the "drive by shooting") and he ignored all three.

I just think back to Di Canio, a player who divided fan opinion like marmite...until he sopped an attack midflow to allow treatment for the opposing keeper. It showed that a certain level of arrogance is part of the game, a ayesstle, but jhat there comes a point where top players can identify the the spirit of the game and show some common sense.

I guaratee you Nani did not win a single true footballing fan with that stunt, and he just doesn't realise what a rod he's made for his own back now. It wasa legtimate goal, but if you have to ignore the spirit of the game to win (Henry v Ireland, anyone?) then what is the value of winning?

Post  IOV on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Garibaldi wrote:The crazy thing is there were three cases for penalising Nani - the dive, the handbll an the reaction to Goes toucing him as he went past (AKA the "drive by shooting") and he ignored all three.

I just think back to Di Canio, a player who divided fan opinion like marmite...until he sopped an attack midflow to allow treatment for the opposing keeper. It showed that a certain level of arrogance is part of the game, a ayesstle, but jhat there comes a point where top players can identify the the spirit of the game and show some common sense.

I guaratee you Nani did not win a single true footballing fan with that stunt, and he just doesn't realise what a rod he's made for his own back now. It wasa legtimate goal, but if you have to ignore the spirit of the game to win (Henry v Ireland, anyone?) then what is the value of winning?

He went down from the defender tugging his shirt not anything Gomes did. Were you drunk when you wrote this because lot of it doesnt make sense
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Clattenburg is entirely to blame for causing a mess of confusion on both sides. Gomes should ahve played to the whistle, and Nani had nothing to lose striking the ball into the net, not to mention that United players and fans would have crucified him if he pulled a Di Canio on it. Plenty to blame in the situation, but I dont think Nani is one of them.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Clattenburg is entirely to blame for causing a mess of confusion on both sides. Gomes should ahve played to the whistle, and Nani had nothing to lose striking the ball into the net, not to mention that United players and fans would have crucified him if he pulled a Di Canio on it. Plenty to blame in the situation, but I dont think Nani is one of them.
    Aye, that's what I said but written better! Very Happy
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 am

IOV wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:The crazy thing is there were three cases for penalising Nani - the dive, the handbll an the reaction to Gomes toucing him as he went past (AKA the "drive by shooting") and he ignored all three.

He went down from the defender tugging his shirt not anything Gomes did. Were you drunk when you wrote this because lot of it doesnt make sense

Nope, Can't drnk. Doctor's orders.

He was clear of Kaboul when he went down - hadt been a tug he'd've twisted, whch he didnt. Hence no penalty.

And if you watch the clip again, Gomes picks up the ball then touches his shoulder and seems to say something to Nani, at which point Nani clutches his head and begins some srange "fish on a trawler deck" impression.

An I'm blaming Clattenberg too - my point is he had three separate outs and had to consciously ignore them all to give it. Nani I just treat with contempt for the lack of sportsmanlike behaviour. It's like cricet...15 years ago if you kew you were out you walked as a gentlemanly sign of respect, now you stand until ordered to complain if anyone tries to tell you to walk without a replay

Post  IOV on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 am

The way I saw it and the way the BBC live score updates reported it Kaboul pulled his shirt he tried to run on and get the ball before going down. I understand what you mean now about him writhing on the floor and I wasnt very impressed with it but Gomes had no need to touch him in the first place. From the replays as well Gomes loks at the ref who waves play and him on but he still stupidly puts the ball down and looks at it even giving Nani enough time to look at the ref who still says to play on.......not even then does Gomes try to kick it!

Clattenburg and Nani are taking the most flak over this while the linesman could have saved a lot of headache by flagging as soon as he saw it. It reminds me off Tevez's goal at the world cup where the replay was shown on the big screen and the ref couldnt dissallow the goal after giving it.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:16 am

Does this mean Bolton are better than Inter? Very Happy

Bale - back down to earth for you jug ears!
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Calmed down from the adrenaline from yesterday now. Fantastic result for us, finally starting to show the character we've been knocked for lacking over the years. Bale, VDV and particulary Gallas took centre stage there, and that puts us back on the front foot for the Liverpool and Chelsea matches coming up.

Given the press's knack, I wonder what "underachieving Spurs" stat the'll come up with next. It was not beating Chelsea, then not beating them in the league, then not beating Arsenal, then not winning away against any of the big four...always something. We'd need to beat them all away, back to back, playing our reserves before they'll stop finding something to knock us for.

Post  Big Dave on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Does VDV doing anything other than score from the spot? Very Happy
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Garibaldi wrote:Calmed down from the adrenaline from yesterday now. Fantastic result for us, finally starting to show the character we've been knocked for lacking over the years. Bale, VDV and particulary Gallas took centre stage there, and that puts us back on the front foot for the Liverpool and Chelsea matches coming up.

Given the press's knack, I wonder what "underachieving Spurs" stat the'll come up with next. It was not beating Chelsea, then not beating them in the league, then not beating Arsenal, then not winning away against any of the big four...always something. We'd need to beat them all away, back to back, playing our reserves before they'll stop finding something to knock us for.

Yeah yeah, Gari. We get it. Spurs finally won a game. Congrats Very Happy

The big story is, can Bolton really do this all season? We're already over a third of the way through the season and here they are sitting in 5th. Surely they can't realistically compete for a CL spot...can they?
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:36 am

If Newcastle get Pardew in their club would have gone back 2 years. Staggering.
    Clarkey

Number of posts : 74

Post  Clarkey on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Jol has just negotiated a release from Ajax, coincidence?
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd be surprised if he took it - He and CH were the management team at Spurs together so I'd have thought he'd have been put off by the treatment of his former no.2, who I always read he got on well with.

Plus, that means that Ashley's replaced the man he thinks can't take the club past mid-table at the first attempt with the man spurs dumped because he couldn't take us past 5th - not much of a difference herte you fat cockney git!

That said, I always said spurs underestimated Jol - our best boss since El Tel.

Post  showstealer on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

Jol wasn't sacked because he couldn't take you past 5th, he was sacked after a poor start and you got greedy. I thought with the champions league and city not buying too many new players you'll find it even harder to break in to the top 4 this season, but city are going on a bit of a bad run.

Looks like Pardew is going to get the job, words escape me. He'll destroy the dressing room harmony and send the club back on it's way to the championship. How he's been able to get a job, let alone one in the premiership is mind boggling.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 am

Confirmed: Mike Ashley you are an absolute disgrace.

*Puts large bet on a Newcastle relegation.

Report Card : Alan Pardew.

97-98 C Caretaker manager of reading for 7 days Reading (tier 2) are relegated.

99-00 C- Reading 10th (tier 3). Having taken over as manager in September Alan only managed to get Reading, a recent tier 2 team with strong financial backing, up to 10th in the table.

00-01 C+ Reading 4th (tier 3) play off defeat. Again Alan cannot achieve promotion for Reading despite the large funds (in relation to most tier 3 teams) at his disposal.

01-02 B Reading 2nd (tier 3). At the third attempt Alan manages to get Reading back into the division where he first managed them, albeit he only scraped to automatic promotion by 1 point over 2 other teams with smaller budgets.

02-03 B Reading 4th (tier 2) play off defeat. For the first time in his management career Alan gets his team slightly above where his budget would place him.

03-04 D- West Ham 4th (tier 2) play off defeat. Despite having a budget that dwarfed every other team in the division, Alan can only manage 4th and fails to achieve the minimum requirement for a team of this size of promotion.

04-05 C+ West Ham 6th (tier 2) Play off victory. The huge funds available at West Ham produces an even worse league position (worthy of an E) however this is somewhat salvaged by the play off victory thus achieving West Hams minimum requirement.

05-06 B+ West Ham 9th (tier 1). For the second, and only other, time in his whole career Alan manages to place his team slightly above his budget.

06-07 F West Ham 20th (tier 1)(Sacked). Worst run of defeats for 70 year for West Ham.
    F Charlton 19th (tier 1)(relegated). Only one task required when taking over at Charlton, climb the one position to get out of the relegation zone. Failed.

07-08 E+ Charlton 11th (tier 2). Alan again has a budget in the top 3 of the division where promotion is the minimum expected and again fails to deliver.

08-09 F Charlton 23rd (tier 2)(Sacked). With Charlton still one of the biggest spenders in the division and sitting in the relegation zone Alan is finally removed.

09-10 D- Southampton 5th (7th after points deduction) (tier 3). Alan is again given one of the top 3 budgets in the division and again fails to achieve promotion.

10-11 F Southampton.(tier 3) (sacked) Starting the season as odds on favourites due to a massive budget for this division Alan finds himself in the bottom half of the table and is dismissed

We've got Pardew
    and I'll cry if I want to
    cry if I want to
    cry if I want to
    You would cry to if it happened to you
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:52 am

wall
    Clarkey

Post  Clarkey on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:40 am

Just saw this on one of the Arsenal forums, pinched from off a Newcastle site:

showstealer

Post  showstealer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Curbishley is a Londoner and a better manager. Pardew's got the job because him and Ashley met in a casino. chin ponder

There's a conspiracy that Ashley wants to sell up and with Pardew on a ridiculous 5.5 year contract (Holy mother or all things holy! Shocked ) He's inline for a big pay day when the new owner wants a manager who isn't a completely and utter cunt.

How this man can get a job...*speechless.*
    Clarkey

Post  Clarkey on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:26 am

There's also the consensus that Pardew was that desperate for a job back in football that he was willing to accept Ashley's bonus related pay scheme along the lines of his sports shops. You can just imagine Pardew's glee at the casino when Ashley brought it up and was just blind to whatever was put on the table as all he could see was another Prem management role. I would assume (and rightly based on his performance since taking the role) Hughton wasn't going to accept a new deal along those lines or had a disagreement on that front so hence was shown the door. With Ashley being tight when it comes to the window forthcoming and players undoubtedly heading out the door (can you really see Carroll not at least being subject of a possible City bid?), he needs a buddy on side who accepts his plans. They were ranting on the radio last night about Pardew gloating about agreeing the terms on his contract and such a few weeks ago, so to go along with all you've said on him SS, it just sums the man up.
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 am

I read somewhere that Pardew is mates with one of Ashleys board, I've never been a fan of the toon and I think we can all expect that they are going for a shit very soon.
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:03 am

I would say it's unbelieveable, but it's not in the slightest. I think we were going down the way things were heading, but it was in no way the fault of Hughton. He worked minor miracles with the circumstances he had. Hope to see him getting a better crack of the whip at another club. He was fired because we "wanted a manager with more premiership experience", which is fine, but not when that experience is relegation (twice). I hope he proves me wrong, but this looks more like cronyism than a footballing move.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am