SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+23
Garibaldi
showstealer
brother of destruction
KabukiJoe
Hector_Nicols_Accordian
Rooq
PeteRoe
IOV
Sweatsock
ThatChumpStain
genehunt
Clarkey
The Ayatollah
MarkFromGoldenplec
Mezzy
Dr Hellwig PhD
fernzy
zhukov
The Chosen1
Ultimo LJ
RKO
Tomc2488
next_big_thing
27 posters

Official Premiership Thread

The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Official Premiership Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Official Premiership Thread

Post  The Ayatollah Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 pm

you guys have missed Hutton Gari he is class! On another note I'm delighted with the young brazilian RB at Man U, Rafael da Silva, looks a good prospect Very Happy

Post  Guest Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Why are people so surprised that this is happening to Spurs? With no disrespect or winding up intended they did leave themselves open to this.

They sold their two best strikers without bothering to replace them first because they were arrogant enough to assume they'd get Arse-harvin, having sold another striker in the previous window. This prompted a panic buy of a striker who doesn't seem to be that good at all.

The signings they did make were hype signings, untested players who will take time to settle and the overrated prima donna that is David Bentley.

The fans on 606 are always crowing about their squad depth but they don't have it at the back or up front, only in the middle, but as Gari said the ones that play are the best of a bad bunch! Zokora the new Vieira. Can see now why Wenger ran a mile!

Ledley King. What is the point? There's all this talk about how much stronger Spurs are at the back when he's playing but he never is, solution seems obvious! Get another player! Surely nobody in their right mind believed that Woodgate was a suitable replacement?

Finally they deluded themselves into believing that Ramos was the 2nd coming of christ simply because he won the carling chamber pot and he managed to beat Arsenal. His league record wasn't exactly staggering last season either but that "trophy" distracted people from that.

All the talent is there for Spurs to get into the top reaches of the table but stupid impatient decisions by the board have led to this position, and frankly I don't think it's as big of a surprise as everyone is making out.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:42 am

Garibaldi wrote:Now we had a bad reputation 30 years ago, their support had a bad reputation about 30 days ago...
    I usually don't react to ITK stuff but that is a load of bollocks, Spurs probably have the worse reputation in British Football at present. Two seasons ago a Charlton fan was murdered by a Spurs fan and there were reports of them attacking a pub full of Chelsea fans with knifes last season. No
    zhukov
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:25 pm

have to play JAmie O'Hara in central midfield
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:08 pm

The Real JK wrote: Finally they deluded themselves into believing that Ramos was the 2nd coming of christ simply because he won the carling chamber pot and he managed to beat Arsenal. His league record wasn't exactly staggering last season either but that "trophy" distracted people from that.

Funny you should call it that, because your lot haven't had a pot to pee in for three years now! clown
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Craig Burley is an arse, it was a penalty absolutely no question. When the contact is made with the man before the ball it's a foul every time as was the case here. It's amazing the number of ex-pros who don't know the rules.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:22 pm

What's your view on Dawson's then, Sweatsock? Just curious fro the official's perspective. He played the ball cleanly before rolling his foot over the top of it (whether intentional or monmentum is something only he knows for sure) to catch the man.
    zhukov
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:05 pm

balls definite red, he could have broke the ankle merely because of how he went in
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 am

Dawson had to go. The reasoning behind it for me would be three-fold.

1) He showed no consideration for the opponents safety.

2) The force of the tackle was definetely excessive. This is what it says in the laws regarding tackles btw. Excessive force is a red, reckless is a yellow.

3) He plays the ball first but his foot is clearly raised and catches the guy above the ankle. For me it's not a case of his foot being forced upwards by the ball, his motion was always taking his foot that way. This is one of the most dangerous types of tackle there is and has to be punished with a red every time.

I can understand why fans of a team would see it as a yellow and I can see why Newcastle fans would think Beye's tackles was fine but from a referee's perspective I'd have to say both officials got it spot on. This isn't me just standing behind referees like Burley suggested it's an honest judgement. If there's another incident in the season and I think the refs wrong I'll say so.

Post  Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:21 am

Garibaldi wrote:
    The Real JK wrote: Finally they deluded themselves into believing that Ramos was the 2nd coming of christ simply because he won the carling chamber pot and he managed to beat Arsenal. His league record wasn't exactly staggering last season either but that "trophy" distracted people from that.

Funny you should call it that, because your lot haven't had a pot to pee in for three years now! clown

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's a shit, pointless waste of time trophy that was created to help clubs justify having floodlights and is now more pointless than ever. I think it should be scrapped or confined to the Championship and below so that a lower team has a guaranteed chance to get into Europe.

I'm always amazed how every Spurs fan's memory capacity seems to cut off at exactly the point Arsenal last won something. Are you blocking out your prior period of mediocrity? Razz
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 am

The Real JK wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's a shit, pointless waste of time trophy that was created to help clubs justify having floodlights and is now more pointless than ever. I think it should be scrapped or confined to the Championship and below so that a lower team has a guaranteed chance to get into Europe.

I'm always amazed how every Spurs fan's memory capacity seems to cut off at exactly the point Arsenal last won something. Are you blocking out your prior period of mediocrity? Razz

But that said...It IS a trophy Wink

You lot certainly thought it was worth winning back in '87, '93 and so on, and Liverpool's run of dominance in the 80's was a big feather in their cap. It's only the last 5-10 years that clubs like the big 4 have devalued it by insisting that they're happy to play their reserves. Your cluttered fixture lists is only because you've bloated the "Big Boys Protection League" (i.e the CL) to monstrous proportions. It's like the UEFA cup. Before the original CL revamp, clubs like Real Madrid, and even yourselves, took the UEFA and CWC competitions seriously. Now you see them as such small competitions that one's been axed and the other gets reshuffled every few years and is being threatened with the axe itself.

Next you'll be complaining that we got to keep the FA Cup for good after 91

And personally, I find most Arsenal fans seem to conveniently forget how average they were for most of the 80s. Yes, since '91 we have been in a slump, but in the 10 years prior to that we had 3 FA cups, one league cup final, one UEFA cup and 4-5 3rd places in a much more competitive league. Arsenal fans tend to ignore that period of winning jack (except for......the league cup! Quelle Surprise!)

see, that goes both ways.

And thanks for that, Sweatsock. My view was free kick and yellow for the reckless use of studs, but because he played the ball and momentum may have been resonsible for the final coming together, stopping short of a straight red. That sort of justification and explanation is the sort of thing you don't get normally but which helps to understand decisions sometimes. He was just being so jumpy all game, his was probably "people had got hurt...I had to send off everyone who sneezed at an opponent or someone would have died!"

Post  Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:09 am

I'm going to go back beyond the 80s and mention the 77/78 season where Spurs took a well earned break from top flight football, something we've not had to do since the first world war. Wink
    Tomc2488
    Tomc2488

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Tomc2488 Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 am

I pretty much agree with everything you've said Spurs related Garibaldi so I won't add too much more. I have a bit more sympathy with Michael Dawson though and think people calling his reaction "disgraceful" was a bit much. While I won't dispute it was a sending off (after a lot of thinking about it mind), Daws is the kind of defender who doesn't shy away from things and he saw a challenge was on. I think his reaction was the culmination of the crappy situation Spurs were in and the disbelief of getting sent off so soon. He was wrong make no mistake, but he has always seemed a good bloke to me and he'd just had a bad day.

With that said I was most annoyed as his suspension means that Woodgate will continue to remain in the team. I really don't rate him, while many will probably disagree with me, I think Dawson's general commitment and work ethic contributes more to the team (ignoring the mistake on Sunday). Corluka has performed fairly well so far despite the situation, and while King might not be able to play every game consecutively I'm sure he could manage a run of 2/3 games and then a rest instead of one in/one out thing at the moment.

Anyway I was wondering what you guys think about Liverpool this season? I'm still undecided whether they are capable of mounting a title challenge. But they seem to have a bit more steel about them, and are showing small signs of being able to deal without Torres or Gerrard if they're not available. Of course they have shown early season promise before with Benitez before fading away. But I think they are going to be a more serious prospect in the next couple months leading up to Christmas than they have previously.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 pm

The Real JK wrote:I'm going to go back beyond the 80s and mention the 77/78 season where Spurs took a well earned break from top flight football, something we've not had to do since the first world war. Wink

You do realise that 1. everyone has been relegated from the top flight since then. We've actually spent less time outside the top flight than most (excepting the shutdown for WWII), 2. ManUre were relegated only a few years before - didn't hurt them, and 3. the story of HOW you got in the top flight in 1919 (and had a very lacklustre time of it) is a story of backstabbing and ungentlemanly conduct (at our expense btw Mad ). remind me to remind you sometime. geek

Post  Guest Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am

Someone posted this on the 606 board. I wet myself! It's from a Spurs fan (or someone pretending to be one)

We all know where we are at the moment, but come May you'll be sorry!

The people(players, coach, chairman etc) within the Club just need time to gel and I believe with Juande Ramos at the helm things will soon come good, very good!

When something like this gets started, it's always tough to get things flowing smoothly. An early rough patch is expected, and with all the new personnel involved gelling time is essential!

There were probably a record amount of 'ins and outs' this summer at the Lane. It's clear Daniel Levy didn't expect both Berbatov and Keane would feel the need to move onto "bigger" things.

The loss of our two best finishers has set us back, both were experts at receiving a whole range of different balls. But Berbatov is the player we're most missing as he was a magician with his head.

We brought in David Bentley, who was quite possibly born for the sole purpose of putting balls on a big,strong forwards head.

Yet with the huge void Keane and Berbatov have left we simply can't put away Bentley's quality balls!

I have it on good authority a certain big-man will come in January, of course he may find it hard to fit in straight away but with a short amount of gelling, he will begin to finish the plentiful amount of quality balls off.

As I said come May you'll be sorry and Tottenham come good and more importantly stay up ready to push harder than ever next season!

So for now have your laughs!

But we'll continue to get behind this great Club and once fully gelled, the players, Mr Levy and even Comolli will get behind Ramos.

Once that happens the Mighty Tottenham will explode into action and come from behind like no one has come from behind before!

Hope that clears things up. Only sensible replies please...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Post  Rooq Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 am

hehe some Spurs fans do make me laugh!

Is funny on the radio when some Spurs fans go "We wont go down, we are too big!" YAWN! No club is too big to go down!

Post  Guest Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:37 am

I take it you spotted the innuendo then? Took me a few reads Razz
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588

Post  Rooq Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 am

The Real JK wrote:I take it you spotted the innuendo then? Took me a few reads Razz

LOL

have now

How rude... took me a few reads Smile
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664

Post  Outlaw2x4 Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 am

I love the way he referred to the "bigger" clubs. Laughing Fucking eejit.

Post  Guest Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:04 am

You missed it too outlaw Laughing
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:35 am

The Real JK wrote:You missed it too outlaw Laughing

... Embarassed

I get it now.
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 am

Haha! Laughing What are the replies at the forum like? I bet half of them are fooled!
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:31 pm

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:56 pm

It's a big ball.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:39 pm

Sky Sports are saying Ramos is gone.
    MarkFromGoldenplec
    MarkFromGoldenplec

Number of posts : 132

Post  MarkFromGoldenplec Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:17 pm

And Redknapp confirmed, Roflham Lolspurs.

Less than 24 hours before your last chance to get 3 points for a while in all likely hood, I so hope they go down for shit like this and being idiots Laughing
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:39 pm

What a funny set of events! Very Happy
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 480

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Will Tony Adams join 'Arry at Spurs? Smile

Will Allardyce take over at Portsmouth?
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:49 pm

I can just imagine how we'll take to Adams on the bench affraid

Does ring bells with the Gerry Francis apopointment 14 years ago, the same situation of a team needing steel and guts. BTW as Ramos arrived 27/10/08, Redknapp arriving is almost spot on the year.

Whilst not his biggest fan, I've never had the same dislike for 'Arry that most of you have, he at least is a proper old-school manager and in a way happy he's getting his one crack at the big time before retiring.

This at least will be one chance to show what he can do with an open cheque book. If nothing else there will be no underachieving players getting into the team - puill your weight or you're out.

And hey, what have either party got to lose?

But the biggest silver lining.....COMMOLLI IS GONE TOO!!!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:40 am

Garibaldi wrote: he's getting his one crack at the big time before retiring.
    He's managing Spurs not a team chasing the title! Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 pm