SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Carling Cup Thread

IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Re: Carling Cup Thread

Post  IOV on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am

JK wrote:Owen Coyle's comments baffle me. "This shows the quality of the Championship." Right... so Championship first teams can beat Premiership reserve teams. Was there anyone who didn't know that already?

Its not as if it was any Premiership reserve team though, its the reserve team the whole of Britain was verbally masturbating over for the past few weeks

Its a big deal for them most of the Arsenal lads will be superstars in the next few years while the Bunley guys will be lucky to be household names in their respective home towns so please dont be so snottery
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am

For the record - that highly probable Spurs v Man Utd final. Of all english football's traditional dream finals there's really only that and the North London derby as a final IIRC that have never happened...

Liverpool v Arsenal
    Liverpool v Everton
    Man Utd v Liverpool
    Arsenal v Man Utd
    Tottenham v Liverpool

Number of posts : 132
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  MarkFromGoldenplec on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm

ShowStealer wrote:
    MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:Nah Schmeichs got sent off vs Charlton
    In the FA cup 1/4 final with Charlton bringing 6k or so to Manchester!

Things can only get better. Cool

We still won Very Happy

But that cost us the treble so I guess you won in a way too Crying or Very sad
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:20 pm

After that game we went on a massive slump and lost our playoff place. The tie before that was interesting, Bristol City away, what sort of idiot leaves a full skip outside a football ground....

Garibaldi, Spurs V Man Utd is not a traditional dream final, time to enter the 21st century me thinks.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:54 pm

ShowStealer wrote:Garibaldi, Spurs V Man Utd is not a traditional dream final, time to enter the 21st century me thinks.

Ok, contradiction time...not traditional because it's not modern enough... scratch

The traditional "big 5" in english football is Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton prior to the "money rules" era starting in the early 90s. Whilst the frst 3 were strong enough to get in early on the champions Cup/Champions league money when it went sky high, we and everton dropped away, but prior to that, Tottenham were seen, alongside Man Utd, as the big cup team in england (couldn't win a leaue title for toffee, mind you...). It was considered a major achievement that, in those halcyon days when the same 3-4 teams weren't constantly divvying up the trophies:

- Untiil Liverpool in 1982 they'd never lost a cup final of any kind
    - they'd won 7 FA cups out of 7 prior to 1987
    - they became 1st club to 2 League cups and, later, 8 FA cup wins.
    - they had a European record and reputation that (barring the hooligan reputation in the 70s) is still hioghly regarded to this day (until last year, only one home defeat to euro competition, trophies in 60s, 70's and 80's)

Man Utd v Tottenham was, traditionally, one of the biggest cup ties you could get. As yet, they've never met in a final of any kind. Looking good for this year

And BOY did we make hard work of that!

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post  Mezzy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Our 4th goal tonight was quite brilliant.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry Garibaldi there should of been a full stop there. It's not traditionally a big cup tie. Spurs may have made a few semis and scored the winner in the only FA cup final they lost but they've only been a cup side in the 60s and 80s.

It's time to enter the 21st century.

Blackburn V Burnley would have been the dream final.
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253

Post  PeteRoe on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:45 pm

None of them will be a dream final.

It is the League Cup lads!
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:15 am

ShowStealer wrote:It's not traditionally a big cup tie.

I think I'll stop taking you seriously right there. Laughing

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:25 am

The semis:

Spurs v Burnley

Derby v Man Utd

1st team are home in the first leg.

Post  showstealer on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:31 pm

So far so good. Smile
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 pm

So far they deserve it. Great save by Jensen too.

GDS back on the bench kinda cancels out certain other subs. Could do with JD tonight too.

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Normal service has been resumed!

Pav's finish was class there, and another 5-1 is on the cards.

Even more now...that's number 4! How can O'Hara make this much difference??? Shocked

Post  showstealer on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Garibaldi wrote:Normal service has been resumed!
    Rolling Eyes
    IOV

Post  IOV on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Errr.....Fuck!
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Another Championship side at the wrong team, who recently brought in a new manager beats a team from Manchester. Whereas we promote the assistant of the regime which massively underachieved.

Today we have realised our annual report featuring a net loss of 11.5m despite selling 40m of players since relegation.

That my friend is the definition of fuck, you still have the home leg.
    IOV

Post  IOV on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm

The English, European and "World" champions losing 1-0 at Pride Park still deserves a fuck or two!

I remember hearing all the talk when Charlton came up and stayed up a few years ago about how they were different from the other promoted teams in that they didnt squander there money....obviously somebody didnt get the memo
    PeteRoe

Post  PeteRoe on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

United will turn them over at Old Trafford but they were poor tonight no matter what team they put out.

Well done to Derby, they fought hard and shoulda won by a bigger margin. By far the better side.
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719

Post  The Ayatollah on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Thats what Fergie gets for fielding a weaker 11, not taking anything away from Derby they were fantastic. Utd were piss poor.

If the talk of Tevez wanting 125k a week is true then surely he can score against a championship side?? As much as I'm a Tevez fan, personally the whole idea of some 3rd party owning his 'economic rights' or whatever is daft, too much hassle to get him to re-sign, Id take the 20-odd million and buy Karim Benzema instead.

IOV, whats your thoughts on the Tevez saga??

Last edited by The Ayatollah on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 am

IOV wrote:The English, European and "World" champions losing 1-0 at Pride Park still deserves a fuck or two!

I remember hearing all the talk when Charlton came up and stayed up a few years ago about how they were different from the other promoted teams in that they didnt squander there money....obviously somebody didnt get the memo
    Before that Leicester were the model club (before they caused the administration rule to come in to effect). The most annoying thing was is when clubs like Portsmouth & Chelsea are run poorly and saved by oversea investment, leading to their most successful period ever. Our board are looking to sell, it seems the only way we can get success in this present climate.
    IOV

Post  IOV on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 am

The Ayatollah wrote:Thats what Fergie gets for fielding a weaker 11, not taking anything away from Derby they were fantastic. Utd were piss poor.

If the talk of Tevez wanting 125k a week is true then surely he can score against a championship side?? As much as I'm a Tevez fan, personally the whole idea of some 3rd party owning his 'economic rights' or whatever is daft, too much hassle to get him to re-sign, Id take the 20-odd million and buy Karim Benzema instead.

IOV, whats your thoughts on the Tevez saga??

The whole thing confuses me the figure of 32 million keeps getting thrown around but does that include the near 10 million they paid to get him on loan or will he end up costing 42 million all together? Because that would just be ridiculous money for anyone

I like him he works hard for the team and seems to love the fans, he can poach a goal or two and makes a lot of space for others. Personally i wouldnt have signed Berbatov at all and used the money to sign Tevez permanently which would still leave 30 million or so to go on the rest of the squad or to give Ronaldo or Rio their yearly pay rise.

Not much chance on getting Benzema i would think he's set his heart on Spain and supposedly Real Madrid, i still think United dropped the ball with Huntelaar the guy said on a few occasions that he wanted to play for them but they never went in for him

Foreign investors arent always such a good thing though Show Stealer sure they saved Chelsea but they are fucked if Abramovich ever gets bored and sells up and United and Liverpool are only one or two seasons outside the top 4 away from being in trouble as well with the debts hanging over them from thanks to the Glazers and Hicks and Gillett. The best set up team in the Premiership for me are Aston Villa they have a billionaire owner who isnt spending stupid money or throwing massive wages around so even if he left they would be in good enough shape

Quite the little essay i wrote there wasnt it Very Happy
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 am

You should still go through, but if Derby nick an away goal I'd start to worry

Number of posts : 719

Post  The Ayatollah on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 am

I would have loved to see Klaas-Jan Huntelaar at OT but he plumped for Spain unfortunately. Any other striker you'd take at Utd dude??
    IOV

Post  IOV on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 am

Dude? What the fuck is this Bill and Teds Bogus Journey Suspect

The only other strikers apart from Huntelaar i would like to see United sign are Etoo or Torres but I cant see either ever happening. Preferably i would like to see our current strikers just being a little more selfish and hitting the shot themselves instead of trying to square it to make Arsenal-esque goals
    PeteRoe

Post  PeteRoe on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:24 am

Away goals dont count in the league cup so that Hulse miss was pretty big for them if they wanted to threaten Man Utd.

Still...dont write them off. United are not scoring enough goals at the moment and could always have a frustrating night of it again.

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:52 am

PeteRoe wrote:Away goals dont count in the league cup so that Hulse miss was pretty big for them if they wanted to threaten Man Utd.

They do after Extra time. Wigan knocked us out a couple of years ago on the away goals rule.

Unless they've abolished that now.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 pm

JK wrote:
    PeteRoe wrote:Away goals dont count in the league cup so that Hulse miss was pretty big for them if they wanted to threaten Man Utd.

They do after Extra time. Wigan knocked us out a couple of years ago on the away goals rule.

Yeah, that's why we went all out against you lot in extra time two years ago - because your 2-2 draw at the Lane was better than our 1-1 at the Library. If we'd sat back for the extra half hour we'd have lost.

Which we did anyway...

Post  PeteRoe on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:04 pm

JK wrote:

Your right about that actually. No idea whether they abolished that rule.

If they have not then their are incredibly stupid.

I will go search and find for definite if they have so we are all clear on it because it is a bloody mystery for me!
    PeteRoe

Post  PeteRoe on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:44 pm

The four quarter-final winners compete in this round.

The ties are played over two matches (one at each club's stadium) with the aggregate score being used to determine the winners. If the scores are level at the end of the second match extra time is played. If the scores are still level at the end of extra time the team which has scored more away goals goes through. If the number of away goals is level a penalty shootout is used to decide the winners.

Thats from wikipedia. Appears it is still there!

I honestly thought they would have ditched that by now.
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 pm

The away goals rule doesn't do what it was supposed to IMO. It was brought in to encourage the away side to attack more, but all it does is lead the home team to be uber cautious in the 1st leg. That being said, I still like it, because it can really add to an atmosphere at the end of the 2nd leg if the scores are close. It should be brought into effect before extra time though. The way it is, the team who plays the home leg second is potentially at a disadvantage because the away team has longer to score an away goal.

Think the dirty reds will smash Derby to pieces at Old Trafford though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 am