SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Carling Cup Thread

showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Re: Carling Cup Thread

Post  showstealer on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:27 am

First off you're right about not giving up on Charlton! Although I don't go to certain away games if I believe the ticket prices are too much, e.g. QPR were trying to charge Derby 40, which is exactly twice the maximum i would spend to stand in that rust bucket. There's a grade above that which is 50 and this is for second level football! I'm not alone and this is more as a protest than due to financial issues! You say it's a great qualify of Brits, I say the opposite, we need to fight the power rage against the machine style!! Laughing

As for Platini, it's good to have a former pro in charge. He does talk a lot of sense unlike a certain Swiss and his appointment should be good for the game, it's good that he's spoken about this issue. As for his recent attack on Arsene, what was all that about? confused There must be something personal between the two of them, he has apologised since and Arsene handed it very professionally.

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:31 am

Think he forgot for a moment that the head of UEFA is meant to be objective and not target individuals.

On paper at least. UEFA is such a lame duck federation that nothing they do would surprise me anymore. They punished Turkey's violent fans and players by giving them the Champions League final.
    Clarkey

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Clarkey on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 am

I instantly assumed it was a jealously thing with all the kudos Arsene gets and with Platini being the definative French footballer really, it must have been gutting that he seems to be brushed aside. Then I thought maybe it was all tongue in cheek and then bad French to English translations leading to the spice, hence the apologies. But god knows, but at least it got Plat in the news I guess so whatever the reason, it worked in that sense.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:41 am

ShowStealer wrote:The initial fee and these MASSIVE add ons can raise it to 2.5m. The main point was that Palace didn't want to lose him.

plus a sell-on percentage. If he's that good that could add another couple of million.

And Jordan didn't want to lose him for less than his OTT asking price. If he'd got that he would have just taken the cash and run.

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Carlos Vela... wow!

Think Wenger may have unearthed something truly special here. I look forward to seeing this young man's development.
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm

JK wrote:Carlos Vela... wow!

Think Wenger may have unearthed something truly special here. I look forward to seeing this young man's development.

Lets hope he's as good as Football Manager makes him out to be!
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm still sceptical about Arsenal's carling cup team, but it's good to say a few Brits in the side and Vela looks like a star in the making.
    Rooq

Number of posts : 585

Post  Rooq on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:05 am

Go Drogba!!!!

He is getting stick in the press but I back what he did (well dont agree with it he shouldnt of done it! but I dont agree with the stick he has been getting), having been to Burnelys disgusting racist filled Turf Moore stadium loads of times, it wouldnt surprise me that the twat who threw the coin at Drogba also shouted racist filth at him too.

If the Burnley fan had not of thrown the coin in the first place, drogba wouldnt of thrown one in the crowd.

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:49 am

Out of interest why was Drogba only booked? I remember some twat at our game against Liverpool years back doing the same to Carragher and he was sent off for throwing it back.

Surely violent conduct is a red card and a 3 match ban regardless of provocation?
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:12 am

Seems to be the new craze going around Britain this past few weeks, mass hysteria

Drogba shouldnt have thrown it but as Rooq said it had to be thrown onto the pitch in the first place but i think you are a bit quick to throw in the racisim element Drogbas a cunt everyone dislikes him regardless of colour

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 am

That's true actually. Being Didier Drogba's enough provocation for most people. Razz
    Rooq

Post  Rooq on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 am

IOV wrote:Seems to be the new craze going around Britain this past few weeks, mass hysteria

Drogba shouldnt have thrown it but as Rooq said it had to be thrown onto the pitch in the first place but i think you are a bit quick to throw in the racisim element Drogbas a cunt everyone dislikes him regardless of colour

If it had of been any other club I wouldnt of mentioned it, but because its Burnley the shit hole of Britain it came to mind straight away, still sickened by the time I went there to see Ipswich and when ever a black Ipswich player espically Darren Bent got the ball monkey chants and booing started, disgusting club Burnely, would be an eye opener to the world of football if they ever made it too the premier league, as if people think that Racism in football in this country isnt that bad, they are very wrong.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am

Well, looks like either Man Utd or Arsenal are getting a cruise to the final - One will probably face us and the other Stoke...

Lets see how they try to explain 6 times out of 6 for Spurs v Arsenal in a semi Evil or Very Mad

Number of posts : 998

Post  IOV on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:43 am

Garibaldi wrote:Well, looks like either Man Utd or Arsenal are getting a cruise to the final - One will probably face us and the other Stoke...

Lets see how they try to explain 6 times out of 6 for Spurs v Arsenal in a semi Evil or Very Mad

Hopefully Spurs will lose and such a semi final shall never happen

Conspiracy theories really annoy me
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:27 pm

IOV wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:Well, looks like either Man Utd or Arsenal are getting a cruise to the final - One will probably face us and the other Stoke...

Hopefully Spurs will lose and such a semi final shall never happen

Conspiracy theories really annoy me

but how else do you explain this:

91 FA cup
    93 FA cup
    01 FA Cup
    07 League Cup
    08 League cup

These are the only 5 times I am aware of that both Spurs and Arsenal have been in the same SF draw, and yet EVERY TIME they get drawn together. The laws of probability suggest that at least once they should have avoided each other by now. In fact, they should only have met each other twice at best.

Plus....it's WATFORD ffs...not gonna happen Laughing

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:05 pm

I seem to recall that during that season where you almost finished above us you lost to Wycombe Wanderers and Leicester City in the first round of the cups...

Upsets happen.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 pm

You're playing with fate Garibaldi....
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 am

JK wrote:I seem to recall that during that season where you almost finished above us you lost to Wycombe Wanderers and Leicester City in the first round of the cups...

Upsets happen.

Can't actually remember if it was Wycombe, but yes we nly played 40 games that year.

And since then, no-one has beaten us in 90 minutes in the Carling Pint-pot.

Post  showstealer on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 pm

So much for the kids...

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Well played Burnley.

Owen Coyle's comments baffle me. "This shows the quality of the Championship." Right... so Championship first teams can beat Premiership reserve teams. Was there anyone who didn't know that already?

Bendtner... gawd he's rubbish when he starts.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Looks like Man Utd and Tottenham in the final then...cause they'll probably take it seriously now! Laughing

And before any Man Utd fans say they don't care, just remember for all Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool's doubles, no team has actually swept domestically since the league cup came in - there's your unique achievement!

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 pm

If you commit your first team to all four fronts you'll run them into the ground.

Some of us have proper trophies to chase Wink
    MarkFromGoldenplec

Number of posts : 132

Post  MarkFromGoldenplec on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Garibaldi wrote:Looks like Man Utd and Tottenham in the final then...cause they'll probably take it seriously now! Laughing

And before any Man Utd fans say they don't care, just remember for all Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool's doubles, no team has actually swept domestically since the league cup came in - there's your unique achievement!

Weve done a better treble too.

Plus were it not for a dodgy red card for Schmeichel in 94 we would haev done the domestic treble then too.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:21 pm

I would mark out for a Blackburn V Burnley final!
    Mezzy

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post  Mezzy on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:46 pm

MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:Looks like Man Utd and Tottenham in the final then...cause they'll probably take it seriously now! Laughing

Plus were it not for a dodgy red card for Schmeichel in 94 we would haev done the domestic treble then too.

Do you mean the Kanchelskis handball or have I forgotten something?

A trophy's a trophy. For what it's worth, as it is now I'm sure we wouldn't actually need to play our key players to win the thing...which is cool. Cool

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Just seen the highlights again. How the hell did Bendtner miss all of those chances? By the law of averages he should have fluked one of them!
    MarkFromGoldenplec

Number of posts : 132

Post  MarkFromGoldenplec on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 am

Mezzy wrote:
    MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:

Do you mean the Kanchelskis handball or have I forgotten something?

A trophy's a trophy. For what it's worth, as it is now I'm sure we wouldn't actually need to play our key players to win the thing...which is cool. Cool

Nah Schmeichs got sent off vs Charlton the week before meaning he missed the game completely and the defence just fell apart. Les Sealey (RIP)just wasnt good enough
    Rooq

Post  Rooq on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:46 am

God why is it when ever I want to see Arsenal win they always lose!!!

Burnley vs Blackburn would be a fun final, but they would have to mute the crowd as it would be full of racist abuse all the time from the fans. Burnley, Blackburn is a nasty derby.
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719

Post  The Ayatollah on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:54 am

On a side note it was an ex-Hibernian player who scored twice Very Happy, hes playin well for Burnley
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 am

MarkFromGoldenplec wrote:Nah Schmeichs got sent off vs Charlton
    In the FA cup 1/4 final with Charlton bringing 6k or so to Manchester!

Things can only get better. Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 pm