SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

3 posters

Who would you push to the main event?

Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Who would you push to the main event? Empty Who would you push to the main event?

Post  Garibaldi Sun May 08, 2011 12:30 pm

WWE's main event card appears to be crashing down faster than anyone could have expected. The gradual retirement of the older guys - Flair, HBK, Batista, JBL, Finlay - over the last couple of years for whatever reason/level of success as been a natural turnover, but this has suddenly accelerated to the point where new long-term main eventers need to be brougt through in the next few months.

- Edge has retired
    - HHH has confirmed that he no longer sees himself as full-time talent, just as a go-to guy in emergencies
    - Taker's comeback only saw him in one fight, not even tune-ups or promotional brawls
    - Michelle has also confirmed her retirement from the ring due to injury, reducing the incentive for Taker to return to the active roster

whilst the list who have mentioned, dropped hints at or stated they intend to retire in the next year or two includes Rey, Big Show, Regal, Golddust and Henry. Punk is rumoured to be prepared to walk when his contract ends this summer as well, which leaves

Current or former champs
    - Cena
    - Orton
    - Kane
    - Christian
    - Khali
    - Miz
    - Swagger
    - Sheamus
    - Jericho (assuming he returns)

So who do you reckon will be making up the main event numbers come the end of next year? JoMo, Ziggler, Kingston, Barrett, Del Rio, Sin Cara, Bryan?
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Who would you push to the main event? Empty Re: Who would you push to the main event?

Post  Garibaldi Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

And there goes Morrison....out due to neck surgery.

I suppose that's Truth getting a push now then - that or Miz trying to remove all other opposition
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Who would you push to the main event? Empty Re: Who would you push to the main event?

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 am

If Punk were to leave there would literally be nothing left in wrestling for me.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Tue May 10, 2011 2:56 am

I said in the wrestlemania thread that they're really short on main eventers, hence bringing in HHH V The Undertaker. Cena and Orton is really it!

Del Rio, Christian are being pushed in to the main event and they should have pushed Morrison 6 or so months ago because he was red hot, twats!

I can't see R-Truth being anything other than a upper mid-carder despite his 80s heel gimmick. They should also push Swagger & Kane back to the levels they were last year and give them the strap.

It's crazy how they've let they're product slip and slip until they've reached this level where The Miz is retaining the title at wrestlemania and they're dedicating a whole episode of Raw to The Rock's 39th birthday, you couldn't make it up! People who claim that The Miz deserves the title are right because there's no one else there and the fan's standards have slipped immensely.

Raw yet again started this week with an argument about who the number one contender is, the same thing that happened on Smackdown the previous week! I don't think wrestling has been this shit for this long in my lifetime and you just know it will continue to get worse!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 am

Great forum lads...
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun May 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Unfortunately, part of the issue is that you ether bring in someone established from elsewhere - difficult without decent and acknowledged opposition - or time to make them credible (unless you have another Lesnar in he wings...)

Being known for other recognised companies isn't really enough in the current environment - as demonstrated by the early handling of Punk and (notably) Bryan, the changes of name for Kong and Monty Brown. The only way that will change is for the company to acknowledge some of the other companies enough as to make their talent recognisable. TNA can cash in on signing "names" by picking up what WWE cuts because right now that is it's position in the industry. Think Aston Villa and QPR (should be a safe pairing to not rile anyone)...If QPR signed Luke Young and Reo-Coker, that's big for them, but short of Taraabt, there's no-one Villa could sign from QPR tha wuld really catch the eye.

Right now, unless it's Angle/Styles/Anderson/RVD there's no-one that TNA has who would be big enough to go straight to main event if they jumped. Even Hardy would probably have to rebuild trust. Abyss would probably be repackaged and made a midcard monster heel, the vets wouldn't fit anymore, half of the others have been and gon before.

The rumoured returns of Batista and Jericho.....well, where can they fit that doesn't just repeat old feuds?

Now that we're a generation on, the death of the big oppositon is finally beginning to hit home. The only light on the horizon is the fact that HHH and Taker are now apparently the people with the task of assessing the FCW talent for future stars, so it's two guys who know the business, how to achieve longevity at the top table and how to pull off 5-star matches who will be doing the judging now.

But the way things are going, They'll be forced to answer the call by Summerslam.

It's a pity, because the last two Wrestlemanias have been very much "closing chapters" in history - Michaels last year (inc resolution of Montreal) and Attitude this year (esp if HHH and Taker do decide against full-time returns)...they just haven't had things in place in time.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 am

I think Jericho sums up the mess they're in perfectly. Here you have one of the most charismatic wrestlers who is solid in the ring and they can't find anything for him. Jericho is one of the best active wrestlers today, deary dear!

As for the 'taker and HHH comment. Good appointments but the guys they've got in are already good at finding talent, it's what to do with them that is the problem!

I think Sting could jump straight in to the main event due to his character, but it's more of a short-term ratings boost than a long-term solution. Angle could jump in the main event but the rest would be mid-carders.

What they should've done is pushed the mid-carders more and gave them a main-event rub. Morrison should've had a run before getting injured.

BTW QPR are more than a one man team and they're bankrolled by billionaires so those signings wouldn't be big for them. Rolling Eyes
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon May 23, 2011 6:14 am

QPR - I know about the money, but Taraabt was the only player I could think of that fit. Was going to use Cardiff but who would you really care about (remember Bellamy is on loan), and as far as whether you'd care about those two signing for them, remember that, like Man Cty, they've got the money but no history to draw people in, so it's experienced and fringe internionals first with maybeone marquee signin

Sting would really only have one moiney feud, and we all know that he'd be buried, which is why although I'd love to see the match against Taker, he just wouldn't be any real solution

Jricho has taken time out of his own accord again, not because of creative - he knew he had DWTS lined up, Fozzy had more gigs this year, his contract was up so he decided to take time away again. He's saying that he's putting Fozzy first this year, but that could be a smokesreen.

And as for recognising the talent to bring through....if the guys there before knew what to do, then where did Mordecai and Nathan Jones come from? Wink

besides, if there's one thing you can guarantee, it's that if HHH picks them, his wife won't bury them in the creative sessions!

tbh the best thing they could probably do is occasionally acknowledge NA, just enough to give their main event guys credibility should they nab them.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

So the marquee signing would be the big deal and not Nigel Bloody Reo-Coker. I'm glad we agree. Smile

I agree with you regarding Sting.

They brought in some duds but they brought in everyone else and you're going back 10 years or so there.

Fair point about Stephanie!

No point in acknowledging Impact I think a lot of people have never heard of them and this would change that! They need to create stars, something they're brilliant at and not have the game guy holding the belt all of the time.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 am

Less than 10 years....How about Kizarny, Turkay, Luther Reigns, Tyson "Goatboy" Tomko, a mix of stable members, tag team guys.

You could argue that they got lucky with Miz from the current batch as well - how few comedy turns mature into credible upper-carders, whether they deserve to or not? Doink, Foley...Even Eugene never actually shook the stigma of being the comic turn, and he regularly trained the rookies for years in how to work WWE-style.

I'm also worried that now Tough Enough is over that could see Miz and Morrison pushed back down to the midcard, especily given how they started acknowledging how they arrived. Miz has Riley in his sights for a while, and Morrison v Truth whe he returns, which could leave them below Cena, Punk, Rey, Kane and Del Rio when those feuds play out and they're back in limbo between them and Bourne, Swagger, Ziggler and Bryan
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

Foley wasn't a comedy character.

A clown and a handicapped character can't make the main-event without a gimmick change.

The main event is small so they won't take The Miz and Morrison from it.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 pm

tbh I can't remember what I included Foley for. brainfart...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am