SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+5
The Stig
showstealer
Outlaw2x4
Garibaldi
Shane McMahon
9 posters

Wrestlemania XXVI

Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Wrestlemania XXVI Empty Wrestlemania XXVI

Post  Shane McMahon Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

This card is looking hot.

Chris Jericho v Edge
    Batista v John Cena
    Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker
    Bret Hart v Vince McMahon

Not sure where HHH and Sheamus will fit in though. Against each other perhaps?
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Wrestlemania XXVI Empty Re: Wrestlemania XXVI

Post  showstealer Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Quite a few assumptions there! The last one is almost guaranteed to happen and suck big time, Hart can't bump!

Jericho V Edge should be good. Very Happy
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:41 am

Jericho v Edge alone makes the show worth buying. From what I've read HHH is very high on Seamus so I'd say a match between them is likely. I'm still very hesitant about Bret and Vince though.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Garibaldi Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am

The only downer on the card so far for me is that everything mentioned here has been telegraphed for the last month or so. I want to see something more unexpected from some of the matches, just to jazz things up.

Although Michaels v Taker 2(streak v career) and Jericho v Edge are certainly mouthwatering. Christian in MITB bodes well too
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:40 am

Word is there won't be a MITB this year cause they are planning a MITB PPV. Pretty annoying as I though Christian and John Morrison would be the stars of it this year.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Streak V Career definitely makes things a bit more interesting. I can see Michaels losing and his current gimmick continuing.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Number of posts : 705

Post  The Stig Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Outlaw2x4 wrote:Word is there won't be a MITB this year cause they are planning a MITB PPV. Pretty annoying as I though Christian and John Morrison would be the stars of it this year.

They held a MITB qualifier on Raw. Christian won.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 am

The Stig wrote:
    Outlaw2x4 wrote:Word is there won't be a MITB this year cause they are planning a MITB PPV. Pretty annoying as I though Christian and John Morrison would be the stars of it this year.

They held a MITB qualifier on Raw. Christian won.

So much for that theory then! Very Happy
    Kun©

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post  Kun© Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 am

Terry Silver wrote:This card is looking hot.

Chris Jericho v Edge
    Batista v John Cena
    Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker
    Bret Hart v Vince McMahon

Not sure where HHH and Sheamus will fit in though. Against each other perhaps?

Punk and Mysterio also looks as if it's a given. It was leaked a month or so ago they'd have a Mask vs Hair match at WM, and with recent altercations it looks very likely.

I'm also interested how this Orton-Legacy thing is going to end up. I'm hoping for a DiBiase vs Orton match as I'm not really in to Cody, unless its a Knee-pads on a pole match. I mean really, doesn't he realise how stupid he looks Mad.

I also think Sheamus-HHH is very likely, apparently Sheamus and HHH are 'workout' buddies and HHH is very high on him. Should be a decent match up though, the crowd at EC were pretty hot when they faced each other.

Thats 3 fucking potential MOTY candidates right there Shocked. Along with Cena-Batista which will be epic (and a lot better than everybody thinks, if anyone could get a WM classic out of Batista it's Cena, guy got a decent match out of the Great Khali ffs). For some reason the match im looking forward to the most isPunk-Mysterio. Mysterio was on fire last year, and despite my recent grumblings Punk is surely but slowly winning me over.

BTW, anyone watching NXT. It's on tomorrow at midnight I think. There's supposed to be a good Jericho-Danielson match.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 am

Miz V Daniel Bryan for the US title?

That could be a good opener, or something after the MITB.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  The Ayatollah Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

While watching NXT I had the same thought about Miz v Bryan at Mania...guess we shall see!
    MK
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am

World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Edge
    WWE Championship: Batista (c) vs. John Cena
    The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
    Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon
    Triple H vs. Sheamus
    Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Kane vs. Evan Bourne vs. MVP vs. Christian vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Jack Swagger vs. Matt Hardy vs. Drew McIntyre
    Triple Threat Match: Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Cody Rhodes
    Unified Tag Team Championship: Big Show & The Miz (c) vs. John Morrison & R-Truth

Looks like it could possibly be one of the best cards in WM history. I may just have to drop the money to watch it.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm

2 Weeks to go and this isn't a sticky?

Neutral
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 pm

ShowStealer wrote:2 Weeks to go and this isn't a sticky?

Neutral

Well, before my post today, nobody had posted in here in 3 weeks....so clearly there's a whole lot of interest....
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:54 am

ShowStealer wrote:2 Weeks to go and this isn't a sticky?

Neutral

Despite the legitimate comment re: less interest than previous years...fair point.

Stickier than a three year old in a toffee factory
    PeteRoe
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253

Post  PeteRoe Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:01 pm

I am really looking forward to this.

I think the card looks pretty decent and HBK vs Taker will be brilliant. Built up well too.

Hopefully they put it on last as it would be perfect.
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 am

I think this is probably the best card since WM17. The fact that there is no celebrity nonsense this year is a huge plus for me. I was at WM last year, and the tag title match which was a great little match was bumped from the show so Kid Rock could bore the shite out of everyone. So with all the distractions out of the way this year, there might be more time for the matches and some extra quality.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm

And now with Mysterio vs. Punk (which I believe rounds out the final card), this card looks too good to be true.
    MK
    MK

Post  MK Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Just made my purchase to watch it online. Pretty stoked for this year's installment. Before ordering last year's WM, I hadn't seen a wrestling PPV since WM 20. And last year's show was awful. Hoping this year will be a little more worth my money.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Ok, hands up here - I was knackered by the start of the show yesterday, so I actualy ended up missiing this thread and grabing the first one I could to try an old-school live PPV session...

Embarassed
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 am

Great show, was good to see a proper wrestling event instead of the bloodfest that TNA is serving.

Sheamus really impressed me, he belongs in the main event, likewise CM Punk.

The Hart match was well done but it went on too long, he should of slapped on the sharpshooter the first time he hinted it. Also as Terry Silver said the double cross shouldn't of happened so soon. I would have had them jump on Vince as he went out of the ring and have Bret grab the mike and explain what was happening.

Great psychology in all of the match which were all solid (I skipped past the divas match), nothing let me down. Shawn's moonsault would have been a standard Monday night occurrence 10 years ago, I'm glad that things have changed.

Best Wrestlemania for a long time, but when is Vince going to wake up and realise that Cena can't be his top man? He realised that Rocky Maivia needed adjusting and reaped the benefits.

And did anyone else notice this...

Wrestlemania XXVI CharltonflagWM26
    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Kun©

Post  Kun© Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

Cena can be his top star though. Just because some smarks in an arena boo him doesn't disprove that. Hasn't he already beat Austin in merch sale or something? Cena won't turn heel/step down as long as he's making Vince money.

EDIT: Think its actually Hogan and The Rock Smile.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 am

Adey wrote: Hasn't he already beat Austin in merch sale or something? .
    Shocked

No chance.

He's beaten him in the number of titles runs though. It were the smarts who were booing Rocky Maivia and cheering on Austin.

Does surprise me how they're still able to fill these massive stadiums for wrestlemania each year.
    Kun©

Post  Kun© Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:10 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    Adey wrote: Hasn't he already beat Austin in merch sale or something? .
    Shocked

No chance.

He's beaten him in the number of titles runs though. It were the smarts who were booing Rocky Maivia and cheering on Austin.

Does surprise me how they're still able to fill these massive stadiums for wrestlemania each year.

You didn't read my edit Smile. Was pretty dumb saying he beat Austin though, I'm sure I heard there's still an Austin t-shirt sold every 10 minutes or something Shocked. Be that as it may the way he's going right now it's not entirely impossible he could beat Austin, even if he shouldn't be said in the same breath Mad.

And I think you have to remember that the casual fans DO actually like Cena. He gets booed far less than when he had that boring 1 year run in, 2005 was it? Whether he like it or not Cena is the biggest moneymaker the WWE has right now.

On another note, anybody else starting to get annoyed by the crowds these days? Although it was better than normal, and I know WM26 was a big venue with an open roof, but so was 24 and it had a better atmosphere. I just feel alot of matches these days would come across a lot better if the fans were as vocal as they used to be Sad. Although Orton's getting mega reactions right now.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:23 am

The phrase the customer is always right is never truer than in wrestling. Cena made have sold more merch, but he's pushed his merch a lot. The Rock occasionally wore a bramer bull t-shirt but when his character picked up he was wearing the $500 shirts. Austin would push his merch a lot and I would expect the NWO shirts have also outsold Cena. The face that The Undertaker V HBK was the main event this year really emphasises how poorly the company is has been with regards to making a megastar. Shades of WCW in 1990, although they were able to make Goldberg, back then WWE won the Monday nights rating war by listening to fans and turning Austin face and Rocky heel. Cena has definitely turned some fans away from wrestling and it's ashame that there isn't a serious competitor to take advantage of the situation.
    Kun©

Post  Kun© Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 am

ShowStealer wrote:The phrase the customer is always right is never truer than in wrestling. Cena made have sold more merch, but he's pushed his merch a lot. The Rock occasionally wore a bramer bull t-shirt but when his character picked up he was wearing the $500 shirts. Austin would push his merch a lot and I would expect the NWO shirts have also outsold Cena. The face that The Undertaker V HBK was the main event this year really emphasises how poorly the company is has been with regards to making a megastar. Shades of WCW in 1990, although they were able to make Goldberg, back then WWE won the Monday nights rating war by listening to fans and turning Austin face and Rocky heel. Cena has definitely turned some fans away from wrestling and it's ashame that there isn't a serious competitor to take advantage of the situation.

Of course Taker-HBK was going to main event. In the same way that Hogan-Rock should have main evented, or even Taker-HBK I. It's a type of match that would get ALL kinds of fan watching, not to mention what was on stake. Add that to the fact that the HHH-Orton WM25 main event (which had epic build up) bombed completely no thanks to a crowd which were all burned out due to the Taker-HBK match, and it would be plain silly not have this the main event.

It still doesn't take away the fact that Cena is the biggest draw and merch seller this company has, he may push his merch alot and be shoved down our throats, but he's making money, and to be brutally honest, he's doing this in one of the worst periods for wrestling popularity in recent memory. For him to reach the popularity he's reached in this so called PG era is a feat in it's self.

And I hope you're not blaming Cena for the demise in popularity of wrestling. I'm not sure if you've realised but we aren't the majority anymore. Vince couldn't give a flying fuck if some blokes who watched wrestling in the Attitude Era turn away from the product now. As long as the kids keep watching, Cena stays on top, and deservably IMO, no matter how stale/corney his character can be. At the end of the day WWE is a business.

I agree that Vince needs some competition though, something to give him a good kick up the arse, but that looks unlikely for a while yet.
    PeteRoe
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253

Post  PeteRoe Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Really enjoyed Wrestlemania this year. Thought some of the matches were a little short (Tag match and Mysterio vs Punk especially) but not really a grumble to be had.

The Michaels retirement, whilst sad, was done superbly both at Mania and RAW. What a perfect way to bow it. Doubt he could have done it any better.

Sheamus looked good against HHH and I think he can be a star in future years.

BTW...how over with the crowd is Randy Orton?!?! Shocked

8/10 as a whole for me. Main events were good and none of the undercard was really crap (Vince vs Bret was rubbish but I did not expect much, the way they did it was messy)

7.7 outta 10 for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm