SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Stuart Atwell

showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Stuart Atwell

Post  showstealer on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:20 am

Bloody awful referee, even Steve Bruce said Cole shouldn't of been sent off!

The goal that never was is the worse decision I have ever seen in football!!

After Charlton's first win in 19 against our rivals palace, he was still a talking point after the game!! He also put in a poor show in the Derby V Forest game which let to this facebookgroup being created!

He's not ready yet I'm affaid. Mr Singh in championship is though, I hope to see him referee in the premiership next season. He could also pave the way for more Asians to get in the refereeing, and the more people involved the better the standard will get.
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Re: Stuart Atwell

Post  Sweatsock on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:59 am

I was actually planning to post on the exact same subject after wtaching MOTD last night.

Firstly, yes, Carlton Cole SHOULD have been sent off. We were shown a training video very recently with an almost identical incident and the SFA and UEFA have deemed it a minimum yellow card. Second yellow means red so he had to go.

Secondly, Stuart Atwell is not to blame for the horrendous tackles that were being laid in last night. Cattermole, Neil and Parker are to blame for those because not one of them showed any respect for their opponents safety and I was honestly disgusted by each and every one of them. In that regard ,yes, Atwell was wrong because he didn't sanction two of them correctly. However the major part of the blame lies with the players. You wouldn't blame the police who fail to catch a mugger more than the mugger would you?

Stuart Atwell probably isn't ready for the Premiership and maybe needs another season or two in the Championship but he's still only 26 so he's got loads of time. As for the goal that never was, that decision wa smade by a linesman who was very firm in his signalling for a goal, perhaps Atwell could have consulted him but when the senior assistant flags firmly for a goal 9/10 refs would go with it every time.

The major problem we have in Britain is managers attitudes. Contrast Zola and Bruce last night for example. Zola comes out and says yes the ref made mistakes but we must play our part in helping officials and Bruce comes out and says he's crap and he ruined the game. No Steve, players charging around like animals ruied the game.

I think the fact that managers are allowed to comment on the refs performance to this degree to be unacceptable. They should first be made to sit the exam and then ref a couple of sunday league matches with pub teams, see how they handle that. I mean can you imagin the outcry if Howard Webb came out after Man U Vs Arsenal and said yeah good game but Wenger's team need some dig in the midfield?

Post  showstealer on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 am

I can't disagree with any of that. If UEFA and the SFA deem it a yellow then why are managers complaining? Surely part of gaining your coaching licence is learning the rules of the game and meetings are held when rules are amended?

What did you make of Parker's reaction to the sending off? That was discretion of the highest disagree. I can't believe he wasn't booked for it when there's a respect campaign going on. Perhaps this reaction is why he made mistakes later in the game? He felt intimidated, again perhaps due to a lack of experience?

Sadly the referee will always be a scapegoat in the game, as they don't represent either sides.
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 am

I'd have had Parker away. The only thing I can think of is that he's been too focused on getting Cole dealt with that he's been distracted or else has held back from sending 2 players off from the same team.

Managers complain because they're in a high pressure job and it's very easy as you say to blame the ref because he, and the rest of his team, are the only neutrals on the park. A few more Zola's and a few ess of the likes of Bruce and Allardyce would be a start.

Some of the shit I've heard from managers this season you wouldn't beleive. I had one guy who said I shouldn't have snet his player off for a Lucas Neil type tackle because he was a centre forward! He then went on to say he was up to his arse in fines and the club would fold if I reproted the red card. Well I did, and guess what? The club's still playing. Rolling Eyes

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 am

You know what's weird? We all cheered when the likes of Durkin, Ellery and Poll left but we're coming to realise that they were actually less awful than the others (Styles etc.)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they were good (esp Poll and Ellery) but the standard of refereeing seems to be decreasing!

How far are you from Premier League standard Sweatsock? Razz
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 am

Poll and Ellery were excellent referees. You might not always agree with their decisions but at least they were willing to make them where others would have shyed away.

I'm light years away from that standard and tbh if I can get close to even League 1/2 standard I'd be delighted. I've been told I'm a very good referee at my current level (i.e. sunday league and youth) so now it's about trying to take it up to the next level which is semi-pro, or juniors as it's known up here.

I genuinely don't think people appreciate just how hard it can be to referee a match and I'd urge any football fan to give it a try because even if it turns out not to be for you you'll still learn a lot more about the game than you will from listening to Andy Gray.

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Graham Poll just seemingly always had it in for Arsenal, that's why I dislike him. Whenever we had a game that he was refereeing you could guarantee we would get screwed over in some way. Same goes for Mike "Alex's Favorite Ref" Riley
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:13 am

Bollocks. That's just football fans paranoia.

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 am

I dunno, Riley's 7 Man Utd penalties in 6 Old Trafford games is a little more than paranoia!
    The Man

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2009-01-17

Post  The Man on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 am

Sweatsock wrote:
    The major problem we have in Britain is managers attitudes. Contrast Zola and Bruce last night for example. Zola comes out and says yes the ref made mistakes but we must play our part in helping officials and Bruce comes out and says he's crap and he ruined the game. No Steve, players charging around like animals ruied the game.

I noticed that but I think it had more to do with the fact that one of them had won the game and one lost, it could easily have been the other way around. Referees aren't as emotionally attached to a game as managers are either, I think a manager should be allowed to say that a referee has had an awful match, or that the situation (home team bias, late decision not given) got to the ref.

To be honest both clubs should be fined by the FA the tackles the players were putting in were disgraceful, its unfortunate for the ref in this situation because if the game ends up 8 v 8 then he gets blamed for it as well, like in Holland v Portugal game at the last world cup.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:31 am

The Man wrote:I noticed that but I think it had more to do with the fact that one of them had won the game and one lost, it could easily have been the other way around. Referees aren't as emotionally attached to a game as managers are either, I think a manager should be allowed to say that a referee has had an awful match, or that the situation (home team bias, late decision not given) got to the ref.

To be honest both clubs should be fined by the FA the tackles the players were putting in were disgraceful, its unfortunate for the ref in this situation because if the game ends up 8 v 8 then he gets blamed for it as well, like in Holland v Portugal game at the last world cup.
    About time you posted, I've seen you lurking around a few times now.
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 pm

JK wrote:I dunno, Riley's 7 Man Utd penalties in 6 Old Trafford games is a little more than paranoia!

How? Man Utd are an attacking team, they will be in and around the penalty area far more than the average. Therefore they are more likely to win penalties than other teams.

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

I definitely agree with the last sentence! Laughing Laughing
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 468

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:54 pm

He is 4th official at Bury v Rochdale or something like that on Saturday.

Ian Wright and Adrian Durham discussed his handling of the match the other night and both agreed the players gave him a virtually impossible task with their stupid cheating.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:10 am

David Ellery was probably the best English Ref there's been in the last 10 years.
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 am

The players have to play their part more. I'm just in from an amateur game and I had 6 booked and 1 off. 4 of the bookings were for one melee and the other 2 were for sustained dissent. The red was a second yellow for a stupidly late tackle. Faced with stuff like this there's very little you can do except try and keep the players talking to you and manage the game but if the players won't react positively then you're in a no win situation.

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Jarnail Singh is quality
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 pm

zhukov wrote:Jarnail Singh is quality
    Nice, a fellow supporter! Very Happy