SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4

Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 468
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Re: Wrestlemania - Official Thread. *Possible Spoilers* - WM XXVI from page 4

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Maybe I am wrong, I don't know scratch
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 468

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Carliton and Primo win the unified titles, my predictomania has started badly Sad
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Ooh mitb first - there goes the Hardy rumour!

and I disabled the need to log in to comment on Smashblogs for now btw

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:12 pm

And what's the point of a Lumberjack match to get the rest of the roster some facetime and then doing it dark???

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 pm

World's strongest ladder? How about world's weakest gravity!

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post  chr1s on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Garibaldi wrote:And what's the point of a Lumberjack match to get the rest of the roster some facetime and then doing it dark???

To get them on the dvd I suppose!
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Wasn't sure if everyone had moved to the blog coments or not tonight!

The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350

Post  'Dub on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 pm

That was quite average scratch
    MK

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post  MK on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Well, now I remember why I stopped watching wrestling 5 years ago. I decided on a whim to order the show tonight. After HBK/Taker, I thought "hey, if WWE is rolling out matches like this, maybe I'll get back into it." Then the last two matches happened.

Can't believe I wasted over $50 on that.
    The Stig

Number of posts : 701

Post  The Stig on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 pm

MK wrote:Well, now I remember why I stopped watching wrestling 5 years ago. I decided on a whim to order the show tonight. After HBK/Taker, I thought "hey, if WWE is rolling out matches like this, maybe I'll get back into it." Then the last two matches happened.

Can't believe I wasted over $50 on that.

I watched for free and I still feel ripped off.
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:13 pm

nothing like a fucking Kid Rock gig to take up PPV time.

Undertaker vs HHH was one of the best matches in Wrestlemania history

at that point the PPV was hinging on the title matches, so of course they didn't deliver

Orton HHH was absolutely awful, the crowd was totally dead for the first half, and it in no way shape or form played on the heat, or outside influences in the match

The ladder match seems to be getting quite a lot of hate, I feel that although it was very SPOT, SPOT, SET UP FOR SPOT.... it was very good and had loads of clever spots

the crowd was more into Steamboat than HHH/Orton
    Rooq

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:05 am

Didnt watch it, just saw adverts for it and all sorts, but can I guess that John Cena is champion again? or defended his title in glorious ways?

Hmmm

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 am

Just caught up via mate's recording from last night (added bonus when you can fast forward through the shite like Kid Rock)

HBK v Taker aside that was tremendously awful. I think there were a few of us that said Mania 20 could've had been better considering the occasion but Mania 25 didn't even get close to THAT standard.
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 am

Have to say I've been suprised by the reaction this show has recieved.

Money In The Bank was undoubtedly lttle more than a spot-fest but what else would you expect from this match? Virtually all the spots looked crisp and Kofi Kingston turned in a really stand out performance. I don't see why people have an issue with Punk winning. It was only a matter of time before someone did the double and hopefully there'll be a bit more of an angle attache to it this time, maybe a Punk heel turn or him dropping it to Christian in a match.

Jericho Vs The Legends exceeded my expectations nad that was amost entirely due to the work done by Steamboat. Sure, he's older and slower than he used to be but he has incredible ring presence and that's something you never lose. Rourke posed too much before decking Jericho. He should just have come in at the finish and ko'd him.

Diva stuff was poorly done as almost every Diva who I was looking forwrad to seeing barely got a mention. They were obviously stiffed for time after the Kid Rock set but that's just one fo those things. I'm sure he had a very speicific contract with WWE regarding his ste so once they realised the other matches needed the timethis got shafted, as did the unification tag match.

JBL Vs Rey served its purpose and I liked Rey's joker outfit as well.

Matt Vs Jeff was a tad underwhelming but I'm sure it's the continuation of the feud as opposed to the blow off so we'll wait and see. This was also pretty akward and not even close to the classic Bret/Owen match at WM X.

Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels was an all time classic. The entrances were great and both guys turned in awesome performances. This was 'Taker's best match in years IMO. The emotion involved and the pacing meant that the crowd ate everything up and would have come back for afters.

The SD! triple threat was quite good for a triple threat match but there was no need for Cena to go over when Trips was also winning in the main event. Cena's entrance was pretty cool though.

The main event was unlucky IMO. Had this gone on before 'Taker/HBK then I think the reactions would have been a lot better. Inno nailed it on the head when he said this one had the feel of an old type NWA title bout with the psychology and the slower pacing. Unfortunately for both guys the corwd just didn't have anything left to give here. Also, anyone who thinks Orton was buried here is being naive. He had at least 60% of the match by our count and it took 2 pedigrees, a sledgehammer and punt to the head to beat him. This one has got legs left in it yet.

Number of posts : 163
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  Bradshaw101 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 am

Well, I gave this show a C+ on the blog, and I stand by that. There was nothing truly awful except the Diva match, and we all knew that would be awful. Unfortunately, a lot of the other matches were average rather than good, and only the Triple Threat actually exceeded my expectations (there were points I was sure Big Show was getting the belt). Taker/HBK is defintely one for the ages though, and Taker's reaction when Shawn kicked out of the Tombstone was fantastic.

Unfortunately, Matt v Jeff was spot-rest-spot-rest stuff like RVD circa '98, HHH/Orton flushed away the excellent build (seriously, Scott Armstrong was working the stips better than Trips) and bumping the Tag UNIFICATION match to a dark match so everyone could be bored by Kid Rock was unforgivable. Did Vince and
    /or Kevin Dunn think anyone actually bought the show to see Kid Rock? It's called WrestleMania, dammit.

Oh, and not getting to see how Molly and Sunny were looking annoyed me as well.
    IOV

Number of posts : 998

Post  IOV on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

It really annoyed me how long Kid Rock got to play, I counted damn near five songs. Did he pay for the air time or what?

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

No the people who watched paid for that (in so many ways.) Utterly ridiculous amount of time wasted with him.

I mean I know there's supposed to be a piss break in every Mania by tradition but that was just TAKING the piss!
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  PeteRoe on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Shocked by the hate reaction for it! Shocked

I thought it was a pretty decent show. Not classic but had some good enough stuff on it.

HBK vs Taker was off the chain and worth it alone. Title matches suffered as the crowd were so into that and I kinda expected it after seeing such a great match.

Finish was way too abrupt for HHH vs Orton though. Shoulda went on 10 minutes longer and at least had the outside influences get involved. Dissapointed they did not.
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 am

My review of WM 25

- The Colons vs. The Miz & John Morrison
    Not seen the match but it's interesting giving the titles to the Colons. They are entertaining, should keep the tag division above sea level if there even is a division...

- MITB Ladder Match
    Some great innovative spots, maybe not the best MITB but was OK. Benjamin and Kingston shined, some botches in there to but not too bad.
    Bit sceptical on CM Punk getting the briefcase, his title run last year wasn't really good. Seeing as he is "Straight Edge", he has the big idol stamp on him and seems to be an alternative to Cena, Batista or Jeff...in Vince's eyes
    6/10

- Battle Royal
    Meh, it's a shame that divas such as Molly Holly, Sunny and Torrie didn't gain a mention. Predicted Santino as the winner, he was gold.
    4/10

- Jericho vs. Legends
    Never really expected much out of this match. Piper and Snuka should leave the wrestling alone but Steamboat! He was on fire! Wrestled better than most of the roster itself. The whole ending with Rourke took a bit long though.
    7/10

- Hardy vs. Hardy
    The build up was fantastic and then it let down 2 weeks before the event. The match proved to be a spotfest, an OK spotfest mind you. The Twist of Fate was sick.
    7/10

- IC Title
    Like Sweatsock said, it served it's purpose. The crowd seemed to have loved it but shame that JBL has to leave the stage like that.
    3/10

- Taker vs. HBK
    Match of the night and most certainly one of the best matches i've seen. The crowd was exhausted after the match.
    10/10

- WHC Match
    Cena's entrance was cool, copied out of Em's book. The match itself suprised me, even times where I though Big Show could make this.
    7/10

- WWE Championship
    Great build up but a piss poor match. The ending just came too soon and HHH just bores the shit out of me. Really weak.
    4/10

Overall: 6/10. Pretty average, wouldn't put it with WM 2000 or 11 as the worst Wrestlemania though.

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:00 am

Surely Mania 9 is the worst Mania? The best matches on that card are only bearable rather than good and there's only 2 (arguably 3) of them out of 8 anyway!
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Bradshaw101 wrote:Oh, and not getting to see how Molly and Sunny were looking annoyed me as well.

Both looked OK - Molly back to the curly pigtails now and Sunny hid her "Sunny shape" behind a long robe (a bit cloudy with a chance of rain perhaps?).

But BOY did you have to be looking to find them!

Number of posts : 163

Post  Bradshaw101 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 am

JK wrote:Surely Mania 9 is the worst Mania? The best matches on that card are only bearable rather than good and there's only 2 (arguably 3) of them out of 8 anyway!

Yeah, Mania 9 is the worst one to date, and frankly I can't see one worse than that ever happening. This one is more on par with Mania 13. I'd put Mania XV lower that XXV as well.
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 am

Just got home from Hueston. Had an unreal time. Wrestlemania was very average but the Taker Michaels match, meeting Tully Blanchard, Terry Funk and Nick Bockwinkle made the trip worth while. Oh and Jake Roberts is looking healthy again! Very Happy
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977

Post  showstealer on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:38 pm

For the first time I ever I manage to stay spoiler free on a sky box office wrestlemania!

What a let down the show was.

First off I was a bit disappointed with the set up of the card and believe this led to the crowd being worn out. Tradionally they've had the woman diva thing near the main event in order to give the crowd a rest. This time they had the 3 main events one after the other! The IC match and tag team unification matches should of been should also have been used as fillers. I think last year Flair V HBK was on quite early for this very reason.

The tag match was built up well and I was looking forward to it. To find out it was a dark match and Kid Rock was on for 20 mins or so, I'm speechless!

Whilst I'm being neagative, the DQ rule completely ruined the main event IMO. Good idea for a ppv, but not for a Wrestlemania that's had that about of build up. Also the wrong guy won, the crowd's reaction seemed to indicate they felt the same.

I don't think the story of the Matt & Jeff match was conveyed to well, the commentators should of pointed out that Matt was trying to end it ASAP (why?!) It could of done with more time and as it was an extreme match at wrestlemania, blood.

I see Bradshaw slated Wrestlemania XV. That was poor, but as it's main event more than delivered I would put it on par with XXV, if not above. IX is impossible to beat!

Possitive time!!

Steamboat! What a Wrestlemania performance! It must of been emotional for Jericho to have pinned his hero.

HBK V Undertaker, kicking out of finishers is exactly what Wrestlemania is all about and why the rest of the card was such a disappointment. Dave Meltzer must of given this 5*s.

I also thought the spots on the money on the bank ladder match were very clever, but it's probably an idea to scrap the idea, I don't think they can take it any further.

If it hadn't been for Steamboat I would of given it a D, C-. No
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253

Post  PeteRoe on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I dont really care for Meltzer thinks as towards matches. The guy is a total plonker.

I agree with you though. HBK vs Taker was total epic and going to be hard to top this year for sure.

I am feeling rather bleak as far as where we go from here with WWE. They promise change but I severely doubt they will. It is just the same old stuff for me.

I really wish they would let the younger guys off the leash and have a good mid card people care about. I really hope they merge the rosters as there is plenty good talent to do it with. The main events are not that bad and having them all together on the same shows going for one belt could be very good.

But then we all say this every year too...someone get hopeful and lift my gloom. Crying or Very sad
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm

ShowStealer wrote:
    HBK V Undertaker, kicking out of finishers is exactly what Wrestlemania is all about and why the rest of the card was such a disappointment. Dave Meltzer must of given this 5*s.

He gave it ****3/4. I would have gone ****1/2. As good as the match was I couldn't give five stars to a match where no matter what happens I know one guy is definitely going over.
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 pm

probably his logic too.

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:03 pm

anyone being negative about this obviously didn't watch the complete and utter clusterfuck that was 2002/2003, because quite frankly, this show shit over anything they did in that period
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:24 pm

zhukov wrote:anyone being negative about this obviously didn't watch the complete and utter clusterfuck that was 2002/2003, because quite frankly, this show shit over anything they did in that period

Wrestlemania 19? scratch Rock vs Austin, Michaels vs Jericho and Angle vs Lesnar? You need to lay off the crackpipe if you think this years was a better show.
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977

Post  showstealer on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm

11 & 13 were also shit. Take away Hart V Austin and 13 is getting very close to 9.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 pm