SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Offensive Jokes Debate

The Stig

Number of posts : 701
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Re: Offensive Jokes Debate

Post  The Stig on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Big Dave wrote:I know this is a bit after the fact, but Stig, how would we know that you were or were not black?

You don't - hence why I thought it was a stupid decision to just outright delete the joke.

Would it have been deleted if a known black person had posted it? If it wouldn't have, then surely that's racist in itself?
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:13 am

The Stig wrote:
    Big Dave wrote:I know this is a bit after the fact, but Stig, how would we know that you were or were not black?

You don't - hence why I thought it was a stupid decision to just outright delete the joke.

Would it have been deleted if a known black person had posted it? If it wouldn't have, then surely that's racist in itself?

Yes, I would still have deleted it.

One thing I will admit to though is that there was a slight over reaction on my part to call the joke openly racist. It's not. It's a joke that has a racial stereotype in it which could be deemed racist and which may offend.

I don't for one second believe Stig is a racist. I think, and I could be wrong here, he posted it simply to get a reaction which seems to have been his aim since he signed up. It's gotten a reaction on both sides of the debate and has stirred up some good discussion.

We (Gari, me & BoD) are trying to make a success of this board and will make mistakes along the way. It's about working with the members to see how we can take it forward without alienating anyone or making them uncomfortable. Hopefully we can get a solution to the current issues that will achieve this.

Number of posts : 719
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  The Ayatollah on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:24 am

Didnt think it was overly offensive myself, however I can see that it could offend some people. But Ive heard quite a few myself that are worse than Stig's joke, it got maybe a chuckle out of me..for a millisecond, then again Stig thinks Im a humourless cunt Laughing
    The Stig

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 am

Sweatsock wrote:
    The Stig wrote:

Yes, I would still have deleted it.

One thing I will admit to though is that there was a slight over reaction on my part to call the joke openly racist. It's not. It's a joke that has a racial stereotype in it which could be deemed racist and which may offend.

I don't for one second believe Stig is a racist. I think, and I could be wrong here, he posted it simply to get a reaction which seems to have been his aim since he signed up. It's gotten a reaction on both sides of the debate and has stirred up some good discussion.

We (Gari, me & BoD) are trying to make a success of this board and will make mistakes along the way. It's about working with the members to see how we can take it forward without alienating anyone or making them uncomfortable. Hopefully we can get a solution to the current issues that will achieve this.

If you would have deleted it regardless, then I have less of a problem with your deletion.

You're correct in your belief that I'm not a racist person. However, your assumption that I posted it to get a reaction beyond making people laugh is wrong. If I'd known it was going to get this out of hand, I would have never posted it. Of course *someone* was bound to be offended, but for the most part people enjoyed the joke and found it funny. I know jokes which are 100 times more offensive than the one I posted, but I refrained from posting those because they would obviously have caused offence. Any jokes I thought would genuinely offend people, I marked with "*will offend*" and *may offend*"...

I am somewhat glad this has created such a constructive discussion on the forum, and I think the end result could only be good for the forums, if Garibaldi's "NSFW forum" idea goes ahead.
    The Stig

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 am

The Ayatollah wrote:Didnt think it was overly offensive myself, however I can see that it could offend some people. But Ive heard quite a few myself that are worse than Stig's joke, it got maybe a chuckle out of me..for a millisecond, then again Stig thinks Im a humourless cunt Laughing

That's because you got stupidly offended by my sarcastic comments towards you regarding missing Jeff's title win by having a cigarette 5 minutes before the end of the show. Very Happy
    IOV

Number of posts : 998

Post  IOV on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 am

Its Garibaldis forum so I'll go with any decision he makes.......and be sarcastic about it either way
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 am

'Dub wrote:
    MTW wrote:We can use other offensive jokes from the 1970s, why can't we slag off the blacks? Huh? HUH??

I was asking why one is allowed but the other isn't. I'm not looking to be able to post racist jokes, I'm trying to understand why racist jokes are any more acceptable than say, a sexist joke.

Well, I don't necessarily think they are is the point I was trying to make. I don't think it's a good defence of racist jokes to point out that there are other jokes equally as offensive to other groups. It's a bit like when you are young and get into trouble and you try to defend yourself with the fact that other kids did the same thing. It doesn't wash. I think you make a good point, but I personally don't think it makes the point you think it does.

'Dub wrote:
    Also, I don't think summarising arguments with your own sarcasm and rhetoric is a particulary good counter argument.

In retrospect, I think lumping in your own arguments with the rest of them was a mistake so I apologise to you. The other remarks were addressed at people who saw fit to throw digs at the people expressing concern at the joke, so fair game as far as I'm concerned.

What is a racist joke?

Surely racism has some form of hate behind it. I don't see how an obviously light-hearted joke (which was more about a play on words) by a poster that has never shown any signs of hate towards black people could be considered racist.[/quote]

Racism can be far more insidious than that though. And the problem with "Ironic" racism in this instance is that in order for it to work there has to be an understanding amongst the people involved that the person saying it is not racist. The Stig doesn't have that here because as much as we suspect who he is, he's never actually said who he was on the old Smash. I can understand if you knew he didn't mean anything by it but posted in the context it was posted in you can't expect everyone to assume that he was being ironic because unfortunately there are plenty of people in the world who do like to tell jokes like that free of any kind of irony. I know an alarming amount of them as it happens Sad
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350

Post  'Dub on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 pm

MTW wrote:The Stig doesn't have that here because as much as we suspect who he is, he's never actually said who he was on the old Smash. I can understand if you knew he didn't mean anything by it but posted in the context it was posted in you can't expect everyone to assume that he was being ironic because unfortunately there are plenty of people in the world who do like to tell jokes like that free of any kind of irony.

I didn't think of that. I guess I didn't even consider he could be a racist because I know his identity.
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 pm

'Dub wrote:
    MTW wrote:The Stig doesn't have that here because as much as we suspect who he is, he's never actually said who he was on the old Smash. I can understand if you knew he didn't mean anything by it but posted in the context it was posted in you can't expect everyone to assume that he was being ironic because unfortunately there are plenty of people in the world who do like to tell jokes like that free of any kind of irony.

I didn't think of that. I guess I didn't even consider he could be a racist because I know his identity.

Cliq? Wink

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Sweatsock wrote:
    'Dub wrote:

Cliq? Wink

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5548705.ece
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:36 pm

The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    'Dub wrote:

Cliq? Wink

I thought your name was Matt not Ben?

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Sweatsock wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    'Dub wrote:

Cliq? Wink

Suspect
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:52 pm

The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    'Dub wrote:

Cliq? Wink

Suspect

You know I'm right.

superman

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Sweatsock wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:
    'Dub wrote:

Cliq? Wink

Suspect

You know I'm right.

superman

I'll allow you to believe that if you want. rabbit
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I'd better be right or I'm gonna go Nuclear Ninja on your ass!

boxer

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Sweatsock wrote:I'd better be right or I'm gonna go Nuclear Ninja on your ass!

boxer

Excuse me? confused
    Sweatsock

Post  Sweatsock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:01 pm

The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:I'd better be right or I'm gonna go Nuclear Ninja on your ass!

boxer

Excuse me? confused

You're excused. Smile

The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:07 pm

So, can I assume that we feel the NSFW folder is generally agreed upon as a good idea?

Number of posts : 998

Post  IOV on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Do it....I'm feeling racist
    The Stig

Post  The Stig on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Garibaldi wrote:So, can I assume that we feel the NSFW folder is generally agreed upon as a good idea?

I think so yes.

Can you maybe remove the mentally unstable mod, which we've all come to know and hate as Sweatsock, from power while you're implementing this?
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:47 am

I'll think about it..........

...no

and btw... groucho shades = groucho marx ffs, not hitler!

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Ok, here goes...

I've set the section up, and the rules are posted in the funny section and are quoted below:

Garibaldi wrote:The rules have now been finalised:

Clean, mildly crude

these can be posted in here

Crude, mildly offensive

These are only to be posted in the NSFW section. Access to this is gained by sending a PM to myself, Sweatsock or BoD with a clear confirmation by yourself that you accept the material in there may offend and that you are requesting accessat your own risk.

Highly offensive

Overly racist/homophobic/etc material is not to be posted

As with all matters, the Mod Squad are the final arbiters of what is or isn't acceptable in each section. If you wish to discuss why a joke has been moved/removed, the mod/admin responsible will provide an explanation by PM. Do not take the discussion to the board as this will leave us even less disposed to changing our minds.

Stig, now we have these we will discuss ourselves whether the joke is suitable for the new section and let you know ASAP. As I'm working late again tomorrow, it'll be the weekend before I can add people to the group, but if you PM AS STATED IN THE RULES - please remember the confirmation, don't just say "let me in"... - then you'll be added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And guys, as a spin-off from this, I have added a small number of choice words to the forum's banned words filter which will apply even in the asylum - these ae basically just a small selection of the crudest and most indefensible racial epithets I can think of. It will replace the use of them with "##naughty##" when used, but we'll only look to take action either where:

a. they're used outside the asylum

b. the overall content of the post or posts is such that a line has clearly been crossed and that the posts are intended to be highly offensive

Context won't really be an issue - these are words I'm pretty bloody confident none of you asswipes would use even when having a swearing fucking slagfest with whichever bastard has pissed you off (see what I did there - none of those are on it...)

The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Garibaldi wrote:Ok, here goes...

I've set the section up, and the rules are posted in the funny section and are quoted below:

Garibaldi wrote:The rules have now been finalised:

Clean, mildly crude

these can be posted in here

Crude, mildly offensive

These are only to be posted in the NSFW section. Access to this is gained by sending a PM to myself, Sweatsock or BoD with a clear confirmation by yourself that you accept the material in there may offend and that you are requesting accessat your own risk.

Highly offensive

Overly racist/homophobic/etc material is not to be posted

As with all matters, the Mod Squad are the final arbiters of what is or isn't acceptable in each section. If you wish to discuss why a joke has been moved/removed, the mod/admin responsible will provide an explanation by PM. Do not take the discussion to the board as this will leave us even less disposed to changing our minds.

Stig, now we have these we will discuss ourselves whether the joke is suitable for the new section and let you know ASAP. As I'm working late again tomorrow, it'll be the weekend before I can add people to the group, but if you PM AS STATED IN THE RULES - please remember the confirmation, don't just say "let me in"... - then you'll be added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And guys, as a spin-off from this, I have added a small number of choice words to the forum's banned words filter which will apply even in the asylum - these ae basically just a small selection of the crudest and most indefensible racial epithets I can think of. It will replace the use of them with "##naughty##" when used, but we'll only look to take action either where:

a. they're used outside the asylum

b. the overall content of the post or posts is such that a line has clearly been crossed and that the posts are intended to be highly offensive

Context won't really be an issue - these are words I'm pretty bloody confident none of you asswipes would use even when having a swearing fucking slagfest with whichever bastard has pissed you off (see what I did there - none of those are on it...)

Post  The Stig on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:19 pm

How many words are filtered? I'm having fun trying to work out which words they are.

I'm up to 4 so far.
    DX-Superkick

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2008-09-20

Post  DX-Superkick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Can I get access to the offensive jokes threads...
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 am

DX-Superkick wrote:Can I get access to the offensive jokes threads...
    Not until you turn 18.

Couldn't we have just kept the offensive jokes thread in the asylum going?

And what's wrong with hardcore porn?
    Dr Hellwig PhD

Number of posts : 217
    Location : Perpetually moving through shitholes. Or Polmont and Croy as they are otherwise known
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 am

Garibaldi wrote:

Bah! Commies, Nazis... they're two cheeks of the same arse!
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 am

Dr Hellwig PhD wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:

You think that's bad, this one looks like Gliter. beard

Evil or Very Mad
    The Stig

Post  The Stig on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am

The Stig wrote:How many words are filtered? I'm having fun trying to work out which words they are.

I'm up to 4 so far.

Update: 5.
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Dr Hellwig PhD wrote:
    Garibaldi wrote:

Spoiler:
    ass

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 am