SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

Wrestlers who deserve/deserved a World Title

Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Wrestlers who deserve/deserved a World Title

Post  Shaun2J on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 am

As the subject title says...keep it churned down to "big" companies.

I think Mr. Perect in his best years had a title reign in him. Not sure about his WCW times if anyone could add on to that.

Anyone else?
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Re: Wrestlers who deserve/deserved a World Title

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:38 am

Owen Hart and Ted Dibiase.
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1977
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:51 am

Ric Flair should of had a few runs with the strap.

Seriously, Andre The Giant and the three you've mentioned.
    IOV

Number of posts : 998
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Post  IOV on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 am

I can see what you are doing here Nazi and I commend it but really we will just rehash the same names over and over again like we always do, I'll keep it going by saying Scott Hall and then someone else will say Rick Rude
    Dr Hellwig PhD

Number of posts : 217
    Location : Perpetually moving through shitholes. Or Polmont and Croy as they are otherwise known
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Rick Rude.

Very Happy

(Next up Roddy Piper...)
    zhukov

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post  zhukov on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:49 am

names and why

Mr Perfect- both as a heel and a face, if it was faster moving in the early 1990s surely he would have at least got to top line level, a turn on Bret Hart (ala his KOTR heelness) and defeating Bret for the title (to then return it to Bret) would have done as much for Bret as the Summerslam 1991 match did

British Bulldog- on the basis that he was the companies biggest international star ever, in his day it would have got MONSTROUS publicity in Europe, and you could have probably made massive money out of touring with him as champion

Rick Rude- Rude in 1989/1990 in NWA/WCW would have been a World Champion imo. I also agree with Scott Keiths view that Rude should have beat Warrior in their pre Summerslam 1990 match to then return it to Warrior.

DiBiase- as obvious

Jake Roberts- if he arrived on the scene 20 years later he would be a multiple time champion simple as

Razor Ramon- I can't for the life of me understand why one of the top 2 most over faces in 1994/1995 never even got a sniff, and was just kept at IC level. His only PPV Title match was as a heel, from two main events in his first two PPVs, to being kept in the midcard whilst one of the most over guys on the roster

the mind boggles
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 352
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 am

Bam Bam Bigelow: So agile for a big man and would have made a great heel champ.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:18 am

Terry Silver wrote:Bam Bam Bigelow: So agile for a big man and would have made a great heel champ.
    You mean like in ECW?
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 352
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:32 am

ShowStealer wrote:
    Terry Silver wrote:Bam Bam Bigelow: So agile for a big man and would have made a great heel champ.
    You mean like in ECW?

Dunno. Never watched that two-bit garbage of a fed.
    DougFlair

Number of posts : 67

Post  DougFlair on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:16 am

Lance Storm- When WCW was pushing their younger talent, I think that he is one that was slightly overlooked that could have done well with a World Title run, and had the in-ring skills to carry it well.
    Dr Hellwig PhD

Location : Perpetually moving through shitholes. Or Polmont and Croy as they are otherwise known

Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:17 am

DougFlair wrote:Lance Storm- When WCW was pushing their younger talent, I think that he is one that was slightly overlooked that could have done well with a World Title run, and had the in-ring skills to carry it well.

I wouldn't say they overlooked him Doug - they gave him a decent push what the Team Canada gimmick and him holding the US, Cruiserweight and Hardcore belts at the same time. As good as Storm was in the ring, I don't think he was the complete package who could carry the world title particularly not in a company that was about to go down the tubes.

Having said that, looking at the roster at that point and there's no-one else exactly jumping out at me as potential World Champion class (who hadn't already been there) so maybe you're right.
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 301
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 am

Dr Hellwig PhD wrote:
    DougFlair wrote:Lance Storm- When WCW was pushing their younger talent, I think that he is one that was slightly overlooked that could have done well with a World Title run, and had the in-ring skills to carry it well.

I wouldn't say they overlooked him Doug - they gave him a decent push what the Team Canada gimmick and him holding the US, Cruiserweight and Hardcore belts at the same time. As good as Storm was in the ring, I don't think he was the complete package who could carry the world title particularly not in a company that was about to go down the tubes.

Having said that, looking at the roster at that point and there's no-one else exactly jumping out at me as potential World Champion class (who hadn't already been there) so maybe you're right.

I don't know, I understand why people would think that, but the first time I saw Storm wrestle I thought for certain that he was a can't miss prospect. He had something there for a period of time, that in the hands of the right booker I think he could have surprised a lot of people. Given his later WCW booking and his WWE stint I admit it's hard to see now how that could have happened. It's a different game, but Mirko Cro Cop, who facially resembles Storm, becoming a huge star in Pride convinced me that he could have made it. That's not to say that you couldn't say the same thing about any number of other guys though because let's be honest the phrase 'can't miss prospect' was a meaningless term for a WCW wrestler and doesn't mean that much in today's WWE either.
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:33 am

I think you're being a bit harsh on WCW MTW. They made him the leader of a group and at one stage he held 3 titles. In WWE he had the boring gimmick, possibly the worse gimmick ever.

Christopher Daniels should of held the title in TNA.
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am

ShowStealer wrote:I think you're being a bit harsh on WCW MTW. They made him the leader of a group and at one stage he held 3 titles. In WWE he had the boring gimmick, possibly the worse gimmick ever.

Oh yeah was that the main event stable with Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Elix Skipper and Mike Awesome amongst it's members? And being the first person to win three titles at once in WCW is about as prestigious as being the first person in the queue for the new Harry Potter novel at a branch of Waterstones that no one cares about and goes out of business a couple of years afterwards anyway. I'm not suggesting WWE did a better job at all but just because WWE booked him poorly doesn't mean WCW didn't waste him too. Just like they wasted practically everything else that they ever had handed to them in the end. The stupid fuckers.
    Screwjob97

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2009-06-08

Post  Screwjob97 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Shaun2J wrote:As the subject title says...keep it churned down to "big" companies.

I think Mr. Perect in his best years had a title reign in him. Not sure about his WCW times if anyone could add on to that.

Anyone else?

Absolutley, Perfect probably in WWE deserved one and Owen Hart to. I always thought that Davey Boy Smith deserved one, probably lacked charisma but still thought he may have had one in him.
    Inno
    Old School Evil Genius

Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  Inno on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:38 am

Gonna add on to the Perfect / Hall bandwagon. Those two absolutely should have had the strap at various points. I'm even more amazed Hall never had it in WCW given who he was rolling with at that time.

Storm was a great worker, but I just couldn't see him holding a world title.

And a name that I think should have had a run at the top and could have been the biggest face in the WWF/E for a while had it been booked correctly - Test. He should have come out of the whole HHH/Steph Wedding thing as the hottest face in the business... but we all know who's benefit that whole angle was booked for.
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:53 am

Inno wrote:
    And a name that I think should have had a run at the top and could have been the biggest face in the WWF/E for a while had it been booked correctly - Test. He should have come out of the whole HHH/Steph Wedding thing as the hottest face in the business... but we all know who's benefit that whole angle was booked for.

I'd be more sympathetic to Test if he had never gotten a chance past that point. But the guy got plenty of opportunities over the years to show something and at his best he was only an average worker and was arguably only ever slightly more charismatic than Chris Benoit.

In regards to Hall, at times I'd agree that based on popularity he was deserving of a chance, but given his personal life I don't know if history hasn't already justified his not getting the title.
    Screwjob97

Post  Screwjob97 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:20 am

Inno wrote:Gonna add on to the Perfect / Hall bandwagon. Those two absolutely should have had the strap at various points. I'm even more amazed Hall never had it in WCW given who he was rolling with at that time.

Just adding another little thing. Scott Hall should have gotten a run WWE. Hell, Hogan got a run, lol. Wink

And a question, did Andre get a run?
    showstealer

Post  showstealer on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:52 am

Screwjob97 wrote:And a question, did Andre get a run?
    He had his chance but he decided to sell the title to the million dollar man. Mad
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm

ShowStealer wrote:
    Screwjob97 wrote:And a question, did Andre get a run?
    He had his chance but he decided to sell the title to the million dollar man. Mad

Yeah is his reign only lasted a day until he was stripped of it.
    Dr Hellwig PhD

Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Andre didn't need the belt - he was one of the most over guys on the roster anyway, it's like the situation with HBK just now, yes it'd be good to see him getting 'one more run' and chances are he'll get it before finally crotch chopping his way into his retirment but he doesn't need it - there's no story to tell there, he's been there and done it all before.

And before anyone says it: the same goes for Triple H, obviously ego has a big part to play in that though and HUNTOR is an absolute stick on to beat Flair's record of title wins, strictly speaking though HHH doesn't need the belt to be over and should be developing feuds around things other than a quest for the gold.

Oh... and Hall was WWC world champion and nothing says undisputed champion like being the number one guy in Puerto Rico...
    Screwjob97

Post  Screwjob97 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:03 pm

I always thought that Kane should have gotten a runwith the strap, anyone else think so?

(And I mean for more than a day)
    Dr Hellwig PhD

Post  Dr Hellwig PhD on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Screwjob97 wrote:I always thought that Kane should have gotten a runwith the strap, anyone else think so?

(And I mean for more than a day)

Actually, I think Kane probably fits into the above category as well. Particularly from a gimmick point of view - he's always tended to be a bit of a psychopath (to varying degrees) and his feuds tend to be about vengeance, betrayal and... erm... spilt cups of coffee.

As a worker I'd have liked Glen Jacobs to get a short run to recognise his efforts for the company (particularly as a 'big man' wrestler - his longevity has been incredible for what was in all likelihood set-up as a short term gimmick). The Kane character doesn't need it though IMO but a good shout for a guy who often gets overlooked.
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 pm

But hasn't Kane been the ECW World Champion recently? Admittedly, it is a lower tier belt these days in the WWE, but nevertheless it's a World title if you're being picky. Wink
    Screwjob97

Post  Screwjob97 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Isn't Kane a former IC Champion? World Tag Champion? and World Heavyweight Champion?

Doesn't that technically make him a "Grand Slam Champion"?
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Hardcore title counts too and there is your Grand Slam champ. Wink
    Outlaw2x4

Post  Outlaw2x4 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Screwjob97 wrote:Isn't Kane a former IC Champion? World Tag Champion? and World Heavyweight Champion?

I'm pretty sure the European Title counted in the grand slam category. Or at least it did when Michaels won the grand slam title, and HHH.
    Screwjob97

Post  Screwjob97 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Is the Grand Slam just an award made up by J.R.?
    'Dub
    The Final Cylon

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Post  'Dub on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Screwjob97 wrote:Isn't Kane a former IC Champion? World Tag Champion? and World Heavyweight Champion?

Triple Crown.
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Screwjob97 wrote:Is the Grand Slam just an award made up by J.R.?
    Actually, the term was coined by Shawn Michaels back in Sept 97.

Yes, the European Championship counted towards the Glam Slam, to be replaced by the Hardcore Championship once they unified the European Championship with the Intercontinental Championship. And because of that, it makes Kane a Glam Slam champion.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 pm