SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+11
Shane McMahon
Outlaw2x4
The Phenom
Big Dave
showstealer
Garibaldi
PeteRoe
Sweatsock
Mr Torrie Wilson
Rooq
Shaun2J
15 posters

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today!

Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Number of posts : 302
    Registration date : 2008-10-03

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today! Empty Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today!

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:20 pm

What's that all about then?

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today! Empty Re: Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today!

Post  Guest Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:36 pm

Gari forgot to pay the bill Wink
    The Stig
    The Stig

Number of posts : 705
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today! Empty Re: Photobucket bandwidth exceeded - Upgrade to Pro Today!

Post  The Stig Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:47 pm

I prefer this to the gradient background that was in place previously. It makes text easier to read.
    The Phenom
    The Phenom

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  The Phenom Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:26 pm

That is a good point. The other background had text blending into it at certain points.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm

I have no idea what's causing it. It's come on suddenly with no changes to the forum settings. I'm investigating cause it ticks me off!
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Looks like the artist had storage issues for the graphics. Tried a skin or two and they seem to work without issue.

Weird. I'm going to try and find a decent one

edit: or alternatively, I'll set this one for now as I'm going to bed and sort it tomorrow.

Bloody artists not keeping track of their storage usage...
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Garibaldi wrote:I have no idea what's causing it. It's come on suddenly with no changes to the forum settings. I'm investigating cause it ticks me off!

I think you'll find it's pretty self explanatory. The Photobucket account hosting the images for the background and the header bar had exceeded its allowed bandwidth limit (25GB/month). From the little research I've done, it seems as if the account was hosting several skins used across many forums, which means it would be fairly easy to exceed it.

Seeing as the images were hosted externally, forum settings wouldn't affect it in the slightest unless you removed the links to the images yourself.

Is there not an option to allow multiple skins to be installed and used?

Also, I do hope we're not stuck with this skin. It took me much too long to find the quote button.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Me too... I only found it when I thought "what's that stupid red dot thing?"
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 pm

This new skin is like Arsenal fans.

Really annoying! Mad
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:08 am

It's just a temp option as I was going to bed but wanted a skin without that issue.

Found a good black one but it had quoting issues where some4 old quotes were on a white background.

And given the problems a few months back, Stiggie, whilst that was the most likely explanation, I wanted to check that it wasn't anything else to do with the hoster themselves or the smal number of images I've got hosted backstage for ref's corner reasons
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 am

Ok, I've got to go to work, but the quote button can be found on this one.

I'll try and deal with the post formatting buttons, the avatars being switched and, if there still are any, the quote boxes with the wrong colour background tonight or tomorrow (it's 24 time, dudes!)
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664

Post  Outlaw2x4 Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 am

...not digging this glowing red skin... Evil or Very Mad
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:42 am

Me neither. It's just too damn dark, didn't realise we'd suddenly gone goth.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am

The grey one was bad enough but this is beyond a joke!!!
    Shaun2J

Number of posts : 1030
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post  Shaun2J Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 am

Can't even make out who posted what because it's so dark.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:38 am

It had visible buttons, no photobucket errors and no specific game/sport/teeny popstar branding, so on short notice this was the best pick. It was this or hard-to-find buttons...

I'm on my lunch now, so once I'm home from work this evening I'll try having a proper look. I remember one that might work.

Any colourscheme requests?

I'm also, long term, going to make an adjustment to the "logo" thing we did, where I'll try and post people towards how to create a skin for the site so we can get a custom one.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am

Blue and white is usually the best bet for a forum! so id go with that, is nice and suttle to the eyes!!
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:32 am

Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick No
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 am

Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick No

How can you not like GLOWING RED??? Hellboy designed it!
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:53 am

A wee bit of perspective here guys maybe?

Let's remember that Garibaldi is investing his own money and time to ensure that there even is a Smash forum before people start slagging off what is a temporary measure.

Personaly I'm amazed some people even bother posting here since they seem to dislike certain aspects of the forum so much.
    Mr Torrie Wilson
    Mr Torrie Wilson

Post  Mr Torrie Wilson Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 am

The Stig wrote:
    Mr Torrie Wilson wrote:Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick No

How can you not like GLOWING RED??? Hellboy designed it!

Hey, no one is a bigger Hellboy fan than me. I have all his forum styles on blu-ray. I've been a fan since Glowing Blue, Flashing Green and Slighty Tinted Lavender, but it's just this one is making my eyes die, that's all.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 am

Sweatsock wrote:Let's remember that Garibaldi is investing his own money and time to ensure that there even is a Smash forum before people start slagging off what is a temporary measure.

No offence intended here, but he's not investing as much money as you make out. The forum code is provided for free, and it's hosted on free hosting. The only cost here is £10 a year for the domain name, which is about the same cost as a round of drinks. That means the only thing being paid for is an extra.

Sweatsock wrote:Personaly I'm amazed some people even bother posting here since they seem to dislike certain aspects of the forum so much.

It could be argued as to why you bother moderating when you seem to dislike the members so much. I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticise the forum apart from aesthetic criticism.
    Sweatsock
    Sweatsock

Number of posts : 360

Post  Sweatsock Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:14 am

The Stig wrote:
    Sweatsock wrote:Let's remember that Garibaldi is investing his own money and time to ensure that there even is a Smash forum before people start slagging off what is a temporary measure.

No offence intended here, but he's not investing as much money as you make out. The forum code is provided for free, and it's hosted on free hosting. The only cost here is £10 a year for the domain name, which is about the same cost as a round of drinks. That means the only think being paid for is an extra.

Sweatsock wrote:Personaly I'm amazed some people even bother posting here since they seem to dislike certain aspects of the forum so much.

It could be argued as to why you bother moderating when you seem to dislike the members so much. I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticise the forum apart from aesthetic criticism.

On your first point, and no offence intended to yourself here, but with the future plans currently being discussed there's a strong possibility of more personlal investment from Garibaldi & others in the site. Of course it doen't actually matter if the costs are £10 or £1000 the point is that personal funds and time are being invested to keep this forum going.

On your second point, I don't dislike any of the memebrs here. I think it's pretty hard to dislike people that you don't know in the physical world. The few...cliq Wink ...sorry..fellow posters that I have met in person are all great guys.

I think there's an under current of negativity on this board which existed in the last 2 years on the old forum and seems to have carried over. Of course this is just my opinion and might not be shared by Garibaldi, BOD or any other members whatsoever. I also don't mean to infer that we should all get along in peace and harmony but there's a difference between being negative on a particular issue and being negative for negatives sake, something which I feel is currently a problem here.
    PeteRoe
    PeteRoe

Number of posts : 253

Post  PeteRoe Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:02 pm

I dont like the new skin but it will end up being changed more than likely so not bothered.

Quality work though Garibaldi, thankless task you have really!
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 pm

It really is a case of struggling along until I find something passable. As I said above, I think I'm going to open up a link to hitskin so that people can have a crack - too many good ones are branded on there, the code buggers up the schemes if I try the basics, so it's just working with what we have until we have our own. All of these have bits that aren't right or perfect, so I'm finding these as I go.

MTW.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Seriously, loved that post.

And it was actually £16 for the URL registration, but as sweatsock said, it's personal funds, the start of a potentially much larger investment, and, to be brutally honest, more than others were doing at the time, so for those who don't appreciate it, I'll revent to our wrestling roots and point out that I've got two words for ya...

seriously, though, I've got this one going for now - most of the icons + colours seem workable, and the other bits just require finding the correct css references in a LOOOONG list. I'm missing 24 now, so I'll take a look at the others later
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Am I a bad person if I point out that I don't like this one either? I can't find the read last post button!!!!
    ThatChumpStain
    ThatChumpStain

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post  ThatChumpStain Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Big Dave wrote:Am I a bad person if I point out that I don't like this one either? I can't find the read last post button!!!!
    Same! I find it eventually by highlighting the link and where there's a gap there's a 1-pixel thing to push but by Christ it's a pain in the bum! Not that it's a massive criticism, having this at all is good enough anyway.

I'd vote for this style: http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10252
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:09 pm

I also dislike the picture of Avril Lavigne in the corner.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post  The Stig Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Also, if I'm to look for a skin, I'll need to know what version of phpBB this is. BB2 or BB3?
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes and yes. Agreed...see the thread in the lounge that someone started too. Popped a link in there to the site with the skins so you guys can have a quick look and see 1. how few suitable ones they have and 2. what's there to make suggestions.

I've got an 8am start tomorrow so I can't do what I planned tonight. I'm going to start by working through the css to make a couple of colour tweaks over the next day or two (already done a few link colours and the post a reply text box.

I WILL find the Lavigne ref (think I have it) and totally remove the crap from the forum. No need for it. If I can find a suitable Maria/Trish/Mickie/Victioria picture then maybe I'll see fit to replace it...

certain icons are too small or I just don't like them (feckin' pink folders...). General non-pukeworthy colourscheme was my first priority. When I have a decent amount of time, I'll nick better ones from other skins. Eventually, once I have the dimensions I'll try and sort out a custom one.

I do think this is the best since the photobucket skin, and even then people kept saying the gradient was causing issues. This if anything has more contrast in the colours (in most areas).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 pm