SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

3 posters

Michael Shields

showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Michael Shields Empty Michael Shields

Post  showstealer Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 am

This has been brought up a few weeks ago with Liverpool fans doing some flag display and Jack Straw saying he would pardon him. The fuss was caused by Graham Sankey confessing to the crime and Shields still doing time. I'm not sure if the campaign to free Michael to includes locking Graham up. As for the confession, it was for throwing a brick and if I'm correct people on both sides were throwing objects and Shield's offence was for dropping a paving stone on someone. There's also a statement from the hotel that he was there during the time of the incident, which meant after winning the European cup he was in bed at 11pm. He also claims not to have packed a white t-shirt that the eye witness (who I believe was the victim) claims he wore, again the t-shirt could of been disposed off quite easily.

All in all a pardon seems quite incredible with the lack of evidence claiming his innocence and after the Bulgarian court found him guilty.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Michael Shields Empty Re: Michael Shields

Post  Big Dave Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 am

I like the idea that UK citizins can serve there sentances at home but I don't like the idea that Jack Straw can simply decide to over-ride their courts.

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 am

Big Dave wrote:I like the idea that UK citizins can serve there sentances at home but I don't like the idea that Jack Straw can simply decide to over-ride their courts.

It will probably get him in trouble with the European Court sooner or later as they don't take kindly to politicians interfering with the judiciary and vice versa. The Jamie Bulger killers had their sentences reduced because Michael Howard had made the decision to extend them against the advice of the chief judge.

Maybe Jack Straw is acting on the belief that the evidence that was enough to convict him in Turkey wouldn't be enough to convict him under English law? The Turks are far less thorough in their investigations and have been known to lock people up just for being nearby, that being the only evidence.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 am

He was convicted in Bulgarian JK, not Turkey. Doubt that makes much difference to what you said though!

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

Was he? I thought the incident was in Istanbul? My mistake!
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:37 am

The Champions Leagues final that year was in Instanbul, but the attack took place in a Bulgaria resort called Golden Sands.

Post  Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 am

Ah ok! Thanks for clearing that up.
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:25 am

S#alright, I thought it had taken place in Instanbul too until I checked up in it on wikipedia so it cleared it up for me too. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 am