SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+6
Shane McMahon
RIJ
showstealer
Hector_Nicols_Accordian
Garibaldi
Uptown Llama of Doom
10 posters

Woolworths Goes Into Administration

Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Woolworths Goes Into Administration Empty Woolworths Goes Into Administration

Post  Shane McMahon Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:34 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7751064.stm

About time. Awful shop that always insisted on hiring monkeys. Wouldn't worry too much about the spotty teenagers losing their jobs - Greggs, JJB Sports, McDonald's, Burger King, Argos and TK Maxx are still around.
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Uptown Llama of Doom
    Smash's No.1 Hobo

Number of posts : 221
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Woolworths Goes Into Administration Empty Re: Woolworths Goes Into Administration

Post  Uptown Llama of Doom Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Rock Bottoms heart is breaking!!!

Woolworths Goes Into Administration Empty Re: Woolworths Goes Into Administration

Post  Guest Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:36 pm

Hector_Nicols_Accordian
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 480

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:54 pm

This should really be merged with my "global economic downturn" thread, which, in turn, should be moved here.

I await the moderators doing their job with a gentle patience.
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:28 pm

I've moved that thread, but I'm not merging. Think this is big enough at the mo to warrant its own
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian
    Hector_Nicols_Accordian

Number of posts : 480

Post  Hector_Nicols_Accordian Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:31 pm

WHAT A FARCE - I QUIT Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad geek
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401

Post  Garibaldi Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:38 pm

A pity, you will be sorely missed

Oh, wait, no....the other one...ah yes, here it is...

Screw you! Razz
    Rooq
    Rooq

Number of posts : 588
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  Rooq Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 am

When ever I went to Woolworths they never had anything there anyway!

Funny that its being said the Credit Crunch has killed woolies, yet Woolies has been in Financial Trouble for years!!!! so has MFI Carpet Right have been trying to buy them for years also with there financial troubles, so is nowt to do with the Credit Crunch bollocks, is just bad timing is all and the Press as ever trying to make it look worse than it already is!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991

Post  showstealer Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:01 am

I don't think the credit crunch could of helped badly run companies to much!

Woolworths though, what a load of old tat. Only thing I would buy from there is a newpaper and a chocolate bar, and that's only if there was no newsagents near by. The place is highly pikey.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Post  Rooq Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:12 am

ShowStealer wrote:I don't think the credit crunch could of helped badly run companies to much!

Woolworths though, what a load of old tat. Only thing I would buy from there is a newpaper and a chocolate bar, and that's only if there was no newsagents near by. The place is highly pikey.

No it hasnt helped, but people are saying that Woolworths would of been fine had it not of been for the credit crisis, it has been dying for ages, crap shop anyway and overcharge on most things anyway!

Will miss the pic n mix though!!! oh well.
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  KabukiJoe Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:41 am

Was also mentioned in the news today that the group that owns Comet & PC World is also in trouble, PC World having gone "into the red" as a spokesperson put it. Am not surprised that PC World are facing financial difficulties, yet another example of a company overcharging people for everything and thinking that we're dumb enough to agree to pay.
    RIJ

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Post  RIJ Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 am

Woolworths was only ever any good for nicking the pick and mix when you were 12. I honestly cannot remember the last time I stepped foot into one of their stores.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:52 am

The closing down sale started today.
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Post  KabukiJoe Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:20 am

Didn't it start last week. Am sure there was something in the papers about people complaining about the posters in the window saying there was up to 50% off everything and that most of the stuff there was only 10-20% off.
    Shane McMahon
    Shane McMahon

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-10-12

Post  Shane McMahon Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:29 pm

I know I went in today thinking it was 50% off everything, but it was selected stuff. And the " selected stuff" was absolute SHITE.

No wonder they're fucking finished. They can't even put on a decent going-out-of-business sale Mad
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:25 pm

KabukiJoe wrote:Didn't it start last week. Am sure there was something in the papers about people complaining about the posters in the window saying there was up to 50% off everything and that most of the stuff there was only 10-20% off.

When it started it was stock clerance, now its closing down.
    brother of destruction
    brother of destruction

Number of posts : 370

Post  brother of destruction Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:04 pm

The problem with Woolworths was (IMO) what did they do? They had a little bit of everything, but nowhere near the selection of their competitors. Their DVD's, CD's & games sections weren't anywhere near that of HMV etc. Their clothes selections were poor, toys were available cheaper elsewhere, so what would you go to woolworths to buy? 15-20 years ago, they had the cheapest priced goods on the high street, which was a decent unique selling point, but that's been smashed appart by the net.

Shame, but when you look back on it & think when was the last time you needed to get to Woolies for something, it's hardly surprising.
    Rooq
    Rooq

Post  Rooq Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 am

Went into my local weolies for the last time today and all they had where Shelves that they where selling and a bunch of George Sampson DVD's and that was it!!!!

Sad its closing, but was WAY to expensive, just like WH Smiths, be amazed if that place stays open they charge way over the odds for everything!
    KabukiJoe
    KabukiJoe

Post  KabukiJoe Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090202/tuk-woolies-to-return-as-online-store-6323e80.html

A buyer has been found for the Woolworths brand & the store is to be relaunched as an online store. The company behind the Littlewoods, Kays & Marshall Wards has acquired the brand. Doesn't say how many jobs will be created or what products it will offer. Details on product ranges will be announced in the next few months apparently.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am