SmashLives!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SmashLives!

SmashLife 2: the sequel project - SmashLives.....It's ALIVE!

+11
MarkFromGoldenplec
Outlaw2x4
Garibaldi
Kun©
ThatChumpStain
KJ
showstealer
The Chosen1
Mezzy
Hector_Nicols_Accordian
Tomc2488
15 posters

Official Football Manager Thread

Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Number of posts : 1401
    Registration date : 2008-09-15

Official Football Manager Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official Football Manager Thread

Post  Garibaldi Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:15 pm

knocks and injuries seem pretty high on this version again. of my first team, I actually finished one game without Santa Cruz, Pavlyuchenko, Dos Santos, Bentley, Modric, Lennon, Bale, Assou Ekotto, Corluka and Woodgate...

ok, so the last one's not a shock there...

Took a while to start getting the feel, and glory be my old 442 diamond preference is working! After a slow SLOW start (nowt different there then), only ost one game in almost 3 months. drew a few as thigs started to improve, but sticking Lennon on the left ahead of GDS has helped. Keep swapping him, Gilberto and Bale, as well as Woodgate/Corluka at CB and Corluka/Hutton at RB. BAE is actually scoring regularly.

Missed all the lists on here (trust me, GDS aint THAT good yet...) but spent the budget ion Santa Cruz and De Jong, picked up Juande as emergency back-up on the cheap, along with freebies for experience in Davids and Gravesen...only I have no option to have them train younger players. Evil or Very Mad

Preferring the more sporadic press conferences this time out, and the positional guide lights on the team tactics screen saves time too.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Number of posts : 719
    Registration date : 2008-09-16

Official Football Manager Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official Football Manager Thread

Post  The Ayatollah Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 am

Heres my City side

Stipe Pleitkosa GK, Tim De Cler/Javier Garrido LB, Paulo Ferreira RB, Richard Dunne/ Leonard Ponzio CB, Micah Richards CB, Emerson DM, Niko Krancjar LM, Sebastian Battaglia CM, Shaun Wright-Phillips RM, Roque Santa Cruz CF, Robinho CF.

Subs: Vincent Kompany, Joe Hart, Jo, Vagner Love, Szabolcz Huszti, Martin Petrov, Steven Ireland

Im gonna try and sign Diego at the end of the season...probably cost me 25million upwards. Need to sign one of Robinhos mates to help him 'settle in the area'.
    showstealer
    showstealer

Number of posts : 1991
    Registration date : 2008-09-17

Post  showstealer Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:48 am

I'm also suffering with a major injury problem (as well as not getting advice regarding short pitches...), I'm having to play a winger up front with a younger winger, I'll have to try and get a player loaned in. Lucky for me the game has been updated and Varney has already signed for Derby and my transfer budget is £0.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 am

I know what ya mean about injury problems, at many points of the season ive had upto 8 first teamers out, I lost Santa Cruz for almost 3 months with broken ankle, just lost Robinho for a month, Leonard Ponzio was out for 4 months and Emerson for a month. Sold Etuhu, Vassell and Elano as they werent gettin a game. Just trounced Galatasaray 4-1 in Turkey, 2nd Knockout round of UEFA Cup, just beat Man Utd 4-2 at Old Trafford Very Happy

I never really alter tactics for short pitches mate. I'll play a certain way against the lesser teams...and use counter attacks and a deep defensive line against the bigger clubs
    Outlaw2x4
    Outlaw2x4

Number of posts : 664
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  Outlaw2x4 Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:35 am

Same here, by December I was 12 points clear on the table, then I lost adebayor for 5 months, Vela for 3 and Ballotelli for 2. All I had left was Saivet, who is only 17 and could barely finish a game. Won the league on goal difference in the end.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:52 am

Aside from injuries at inopportune times, I'm pleased with how Ive done at City, RSC was a steal at 20m, and i should have signed Plietkosa at start of season. Am in the running to finish as high as 2nd or 3rd.

With Hibernian I hope for a cup win, and 3rd or 4th place in my first season. Problem being the lack of money im given, only Fletcher is worth much, dont want to sell him Crying or Very sad

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:31 am

Won the sextuple (PL,CA,CC,CL,SC,WC) with Arsenal now... so time for me to head to the lower divisions and give Mr Wenger a chance to do better Razz

Five seasons in final team (4-2-3-1):

GK: Asenjo
    DR: Sagna
    CB: Toure/Song
    CB: Djourou/Senderos (who remains excellent on the games for some bizarre reason!)
    LB: Clichy/Traore
    CM: Diaby/De Rossi
    CM: Fabregas/Denilson
    RW: Walcott/Lansbury
    AMC: Rosicky/Merida
    LW: Van Persie/Wilshire
    ST: Ballotelli/Adebayor

Thank you Mr Wenger for leaving me an excellent youth setup Twisted Evil
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

Beat Galatasaray 6-3 on aggregate, I think the next round is as far as I go, as Pleitkosa is cuptied, can only so far with Joe Hart in goals
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:07 am

The Ayatollah wrote:I never really alter tactics for short pitches mate. I'll play a certain way against the lesser teams...and use counter attacks and a deep defensive line against the bigger clubs
    Cheers for that, for some reason my team really struggles (yeah, yeah, I know I choose Charlton!) on small pitches. Neutral

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

I'd go over the top on a short pitch. Going out to the wings is usually pointless because there's no space for them to run round the outside or cut inside.

Playing a 4-3-3 may help you too.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Yeah that sounds about right...for wide pitches I would use my wingers or attacking wingbacks
    The Chosen1
    The Chosen1

Number of posts : 108

Post  The Chosen1 Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:37 am

The Ayatollah wrote:Heres my City side

Stipe Pleitkosa GK, Tim De Cler/Javier Garrido LB, Paulo Ferreira RB, Richard Dunne/ Leonard Ponzio CB, Micah Richards CB, Emerson DM, Niko Krancjar LM, Sebastian Battaglia CM, Shaun Wright-Phillips RM, Roque Santa Cruz CF, Robinho CF.

Subs: Vincent Kompany, Joe Hart, Jo, Vagner Love, Szabolcz Huszti, Martin Petrov, Steven Ireland

Im gonna try and sign Diego at the end of the season...probably cost me 25million upwards. Need to sign one of Robinhos mates to help him 'settle in the area'.
    Kaka? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I very nearly kept Luton up in the end.

It wasn't until after I'd played the penultimate league game that I was relegated. Three or four times I got to within three points of escaping the drop zone, but I just couldn't manage it. In League 2 my overall record was won 15, draw 16 & lost 15.

But I did beat Charlton 2-1 after extra-time in the League Cup & in the next round I only lost 3-1 away at Wigan.

My biggest league defeat was 5-1 against Gillingham.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 am

Tried for Kaka obviously but was priced out of a move went as high as 40m for him but Milan said no
    The Chosen1
    The Chosen1

Number of posts : 108

Post  The Chosen1 Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:19 am

ShowStealer wrote:I'm now an owner of the game and I'm managing Charlton. No money to spend and a serious injury problem has led to a pretty poor display in the friendlies, but I've managed to sort the defence out.

Just wondering, what is your tactic for a short pitch where there's over crowding?
    Without sounding patronizing, if you didn't already know, there's one or two patches out to fix certain issues & get rid of bugs & glitches etc.

I've only just found out that they released a second patch towards the end of last year.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 am

Put Rangers out of the UEFA Cup in the Q-Final 8-7 on pens, lost the first leg 2-0, won at home 2-0, I play Spurs in the semis Smile Amazed they put Milan out! Got 4 games left in the season will have it finished by the morning...sitting nicely in 4th

Finished 5th, Spurs beat me 4-3 on aggregate in UEFA Semis Shocked
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 am

The Chosen1 wrote:
    ShowStealer wrote:I'm now an owner of the game and I'm managing Charlton. No money to spend and a serious injury problem has led to a pretty poor display in the friendlies, but I've managed to sort the defence out.

Just wondering, what is your tactic for a short pitch where there's over crowding?
    Without sounding patronizing, if you didn't already know, there's one or two patches out to fix certain issues & get rid of bugs & glitches etc.

I've only just found out that they released a second patch towards the end of last year.
    I think they were automatically added as the game has been updated.

The update means that Luke Varney, a player I wanted to keep is on loan at Derby and is joining them in January for £1.5m. I could do with the money to buy a, striker... I've had to loan one in, who scored a 30 yarder in the Carling Cup second round after my second striker managed to get injured again in his first start back from injury.

I lost to Derby in the first game of the season, guess who got man of the man for them, Luke Varney, who scored one of the goals and hit the bar, and also missed countless chances just like in real life! He was also involved in the incident when one of my players got sent off. He was running free on goal, but Fortune had him covered, Craney must have no trust in Fortune as he decided to elbow Varney in the face! Laughing When asked if I wanted to appeal, I chose, no!

Great game, I'm loving the challenge of managing my team with no money. My only signing has been the Italian winger Flore who was out of contract and impressed me on his trial, he's only on £3k a week and is the only Charlton player to get in to team of the week.

Overal, I can see myself getting a bit of an addiction...
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 am

Now my City season is over I can concentrate on the challenge of splitting the Old Firm with Hibernian, pleased with my big free signing Stephen Appiah, once he got fit he's been an ever present, brought stability to my midfield,also Juan Castillo from Botafago for 45k was a bargain, hes a quality goalie! I hope my strikers get fit soon I need em! Need to get in a couple of players in Jan to succeed in finishing 2rd or 3rd
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Number of posts : 1194
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post  Big Dave Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 am

Finally caved in and bought this, it was only £19 in tescs.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:19 am

A bargain Dave!

My bro got me my copy for Xmas, I think it was 20 or 25 quid. Best FM game yet, its slightly harder than the last ones.

That reminds me, better get cracking with my Hibernian season Very Happy
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:08 am

The Ayatollah wrote:Now my City season is over I can concentrate on the challenge of splitting the Old Firm with Hibernian, pleased with my big free signing Stephen Appiah, once he got fit he's been an ever present, brought stability to my midfield,also Juan Castillo from Botafago for 45k was a bargain, hes a quality goalie! I hope my strikers get fit soon I need em! Need to get in a couple of players in Jan to succeed in finishing 2rd or 3rd

I was about to ask how you managed thge work permit for Appiah,then I remembered who you were playing as...money talks, I suppose...
    KJ
    KJ

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post  KJ Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:27 am

Anyone know what 'XML parsing error' means?

Not being able to play the game is doing my head in.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:28 am

Garibaldi wrote:
    The Ayatollah wrote:Now my City season is over I can concentrate on the challenge of splitting the Old Firm with Hibernian, pleased with my big free signing Stephen Appiah, once he got fit he's been an ever present, brought stability to my midfield,also Juan Castillo from Botafago for 45k was a bargain, hes a quality goalie! I hope my strikers get fit soon I need em! Need to get in a couple of players in Jan to succeed in finishing 2rd or 3rd

I was about to ask how you managed thge work permit for Appiah,then I remembered who you were playing as...money talks, I suppose...

I had to offer him the max wage at Hibs...4.4k a week, yearly wage rise 25% etc. Glad to have him! I doubt anyone at the real Hibs is on 4,400 a week Laughing

Post  Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:10 am

KJ wrote:Anyone know what 'XML parsing error' means?

Means you turned your computer off whilst the program was running. Kills your save games.

I took over the mighty Aldershot as my lower division team. Supposed to be deep in a relegation dogfight but currently sitting in the playoff zone. It's early days yet though!
    KJ
    KJ

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post  KJ Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:32 am

JK wrote:

Means you turned your computer off whilst the program was running. Kills your save games.

I took over the mighty Aldershot as my lower division team. Supposed to be deep in a relegation dogfight but currently sitting in the playoff zone. It's early days yet though!

Do you know if it can be fixed? I've had a look around online and haven't had much luck Sad
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:02 am

The Chosen1 wrote:
    The Ayatollah wrote:Heres my City side

Kaka? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I very nearly kept Luton up in the end.

It wasn't until after I'd played the penultimate league game that I was relegated. Three or four times I got to within three points of escaping the drop zone, but I just couldn't manage it. In League 2 my overall record was won 15, draw 16 & lost 15.

But I did beat Charlton 2-1 after extra-time in the League Cup & in the next round I only lost 3-1 away at Wigan.

My biggest league defeat was 5-1 against Gillingham.

Finally the moody wee shite Robinho has settled in Manchester, took him all bloody season! Ive signed Diego from Werder Bremen in CM for 21.5million
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    The Higher Power

Post  Garibaldi Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:32 am

KJ wrote:
    JK wrote:

Do you know if it can be fixed? I've had a look around online and haven't had much luck Sad

Probably not - chances are something wasn't complied properly which is needed so things are now out of sync on the game file.

Lesson to learn - staggered saves over 2-3 files so that one crash doesn't bugger everything.

And Ayatolah, I never hasd a problem getting Appiah to agree to join, just with the permit. That's why I was asking how you swung it...

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 am

Aldershot are sitting in mid table. I applied for a job in the Dutch second division (whatever that's called) and got caught by the media.

The board offered me a chance to resign with dignity, which I didn't take, but they didn't sack me because nobody else is gonna keep Aldershot in League 2 let alone keep them in with a shout of League 1 next year Laughing

Garibaldi wrote:
    KJ wrote:
    JK wrote:

Probably not - chances are something wasn't complied properly which is needed so things are now out of sync on the game file.

Lesson to learn - staggered saves over 2-3 files so that one crash doesn't bugger everything.

And Ayatolah, I never hasd a problem getting Appiah to agree to join, just with the permit. That's why I was asking how you swung it...

The work permit system is modelled on the real life ones. Nobody outside the Champions league can get them but anyone in the Champions league can buy them at Tesco Razz

And KJ, if you've been using autosave or normal save as opposed to save as your game should have been spread across 3 different files, saving to a different one each time. Chances are you can load one of the other two. You might lose a month or two (or more) but it'll save you starting again.
    The Ayatollah
    The Ayatollah

Post  The Ayatollah Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 am

To be honest I didnt think Id get him at Hibs, makes no odds now Laughing hes injured for 2 months with a cracked rib, cant play him til Jan! And I'm having to use young Kurtis Byrne as a striker as Riordan is out till Jan-Feb, and Johannson and Nish are injury prone and Benjelloun is still on loan at Charleroi, could do with Zemmama returning from his loan too, short of right midfielders Sad
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:30 am

The Chosen1 wrote:But I did beat Charlton 2-1 after extra-time in the League Cup
    Laughing Got to love the realism!
    showstealer
    showstealer

Post  showstealer Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 pm

I got sacked and replaced by David Platt, who has sent the club in to the relegation zone.

I want my £25 back!! Mad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am